Art Asylum Boston: Fakes, Theft and Sketchy Things

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
cybernigel
Giant

Re: Please be careful people when dealing with Art Asylum Bo

Post by cybernigel »

fribhey wrote:
blazedoutbee wrote:I warned people months ago about this clown as it took eight months to get a print from him, sorry to all who got burned! I hope everyone gets their money back and this guy goes to jail....
he's been sketchy here for a very long time. he's been banned and has tried multiple times to set up new accounts only to be caught and shut down again
Blazed or Art Asylum?
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
Prints_of_Thieves
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Prints_of_Thieves »

cybernigel wrote:
fribhey wrote:
blazedoutbee wrote:I warned people months ago about this clown as it took eight months to get a print from him, sorry to all who got burned! I hope everyone gets their money back and this guy goes to jail....
he's been sketchy here for a very long time. he's been banned and has tried multiple times to set up new accounts only to be caught and shut down again
Blazed or Art Asylum?
I think they were talking about art asylum Nige lol
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

Prints_of_Thieves wrote:
cybernigel wrote:
fribhey wrote:
Blazed or Art Asylum?
I think they were talking about art asylum Nige lol
he knows, he's just bustin balls :lol:
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Re: Art Asylum Boston Sketchiness Thread

Post by illyanadmc »

merged!
i'm proud to be the shepherd of this herd of sharks.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

I am pretty sure that the user observer09 is connected to the Ary Asylum rip off scheme. I am starting to piece together my latest purchase of Fairey fine art and the seller was from Lynn, MA and had the same last name of the theifs which was Cyhan; Paul Cyhan to be exact. I think this seller was part of this scam that Art Asylum Boston was pulling. I am starting to think there are more involved than just the two noted. I ran into the same problems that others did with Art Asylum. I sent them a cashiers check for 3k, but somhow it was "rejected by the bank" and incurred the same BS email that supposedly came from Bank of America. I am just glad that I am not out of my 3k. Once I started threating legal action and contacting the Lynn police, my artwork was sent out. I paid an extra $85 for them to ship over night, but instead they shipped via gound delivery which took over a week. Once I recieved the artwork, I noticed it was not shipped under the sellers name but shipped by another person. Please be aware and cautious of any seller from the Lynn, MA area!!
Prints_of_Thieves
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Prints_of_Thieves »

spagucci1 wrote:I am pretty sure that the user observer09 is connected to the Ary Asylum rip off scheme. I am starting to piece together my latest purchase of Fairey fine art and the seller was from Lynn, MA and had the same last name of the theifs which was Cyhan; Paul Cyhan to be exact. I think this seller was part of this scam that Art Asylum Boston was pulling. I am starting to think there are more involved than just the two noted. I ran into the same problems that others did with Art Asylum. I sent them a cashiers check for 3k, but somhow it was "rejected by the bank" and incurred the same BS email that supposedly came from Bank of America. I am just glad that I am not out of my 3k. Once I started threating legal action and contacting the Lynn police, my artwork was sent out. I paid an extra $85 for them to ship over night, but instead they shipped via gound delivery which took over a week. Once I recieved the artwork, I noticed it was not shipped under the sellers name but shipped by another person. Please be aware and cautious of any seller from the Lynn, MA area!!
It sucks when little B!tch3S ruin the fun for everybody else. I think everybody should complain to EVERY artist we can get a hold of and ostracize those [insert multiple expletives here] from the art world.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

more art asylum bullsh1t... now involving shepard and kinsey with a bogus fundraiser:

http://obeygiant.com/headlines/shepard- ... y+Giant%29
My name has recently been used in conjunction with the Art 4 Hearts Auction, along with other artists. Neither Kinsey nor myself donated any art or money to the Art of Asylum Boston Gallery for any auctions, including the Art 4 Hearts auction. The auction was advertised as a fundraiser for the American Heart Association. The AHA has no record of the donation. Additionally, Neither Kinsey nor myself have given permission to the gallery to display our art or use our names.

I have and will continue to donate art to charities. I am saddened to see that someone has exploited my track record of prior donations. Please rest assured that any charity event that is posted on our website has been reasonably vetted. The Arts 4 Hearts Auction should be viewed as the exception not the rule.
- Shepard
http://www.thelifevicarious.com/the_lif ... oblem.html
extremeimages77
Giant

Post by extremeimages77 »

Well since i live in boston, I think ill do the art community a favor and take the train down his way and kick him in the fn nutts :lol: this is one of many times ive heard of the shtbag rippin and scammin...time to show him some beantown love
"Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded.
Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth
or fourteenth."
alwaysalx
Propaganda Engineer

Post by alwaysalx »

"put your garbage kickers on and..."
'the best things in life, are not things!
Optimus Rabbit
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Optimus Rabbit »

extremeimages77 wrote:Well since i live in boston, I think ill do the art community a favor and take the train down his way and kick him in the fn nutts :lol: this is one of many times ive heard of the shtbag rippin and scammin...time to show him some beantown love
Let's do it. I live in Southie.... and I know what he looks like.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Thread moved and merged with previous "Art Asylum Selling Fake Obey Giant Retired Stencils" thread from a couple of years ago.
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
destroyeric
Giant

Re: Art Asylum Boston: Fakes, Theft and Sketchy Things

Post by destroyeric »

AAB = sacks of sh!t
trkr2007 wrote:so will someone let us know if this print is going to drop i need to get a haircut.....
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
JErikR
Giant

Post by JErikR »

I had my own related experience with AAB. Kind of crazy all this is going on....
JErikR
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
Molotov Man
Black Book Gallery

Post by Molotov Man »

Wow! with the amount of prints he just sold on here, I'm just shaking my head. After reading everything, questions arise like crazy. I hope everyone gets their items and they aren't "hot".
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

Molotov Man wrote:Wow! with the amount of prints he just sold on here, I'm just shaking my head. After reading everything, questions arise like crazy. I hope everyone gets their items and they aren't "hot".
woah was he selling prints here recently?
on point like a decimalist?
Molotov Man
Black Book Gallery

Post by Molotov Man »

whyhoo wrote:
Molotov Man wrote:Wow! with the amount of prints he just sold on here, I'm just shaking my head. After reading everything, questions arise like crazy. I hope everyone gets their items and they aren't "hot".

Some good ones:

http://forum.thegiant.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23168
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

Molotov Man wrote:
whyhoo wrote:

Some good ones:

http://forum.thegiant.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23168
mofo!!! slipped in under the radar... this guy needs to get arrested.
on point like a decimalist?
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

Just a heads up, these thieves are selling on eBay again. They are selling under the eBay ID sweet_art.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/sweet_art/m.htm ... 4340.l2562
bmg
Punk

Post by bmg »

Heads up they are now on the West Coast. Jason Zenga and Juliann Cyhan are very much still at it. Beware of fake auctions, real auctions with fake representatives (!), forgeries, scams involving a "sick" baby asking for donated free works for the baby's "collection" and fake set-ups from a "gallery" or rep wanting artists to send work which is then stolen, etc... they use relatives names and variants of the names we know in addition to code names (ebay etc). Not only do they scam buyers but also artists. Zenga has also started a you-guessed-it ART blog where he gains direct access to artists: http://artistsinsideout.blogspot.com/

Here is a recent doozy of a Zenga story from an artist I know:
"Last month was the big Art of Elysium event in LA. Jason contacted me over the summer about being a part of it. He said my wife and I would be able to attend. Sent many emails, suggested hotels to stay in, looked forward to meeting, etc. This went on for months, with emails on a regular basis. I looked into Art of Elysium and saw that it was legit. So I sent him a painting and followed up with an email regarding our attendance at the event. We thought it would be fun to rub elbows with hollywood for the evening. He assured me that my attendance was set and that an invitation was forth coming. We spoke on the phone at length to confirm. Flights were booked. The week before the event I had not recieved an invite, but he assured me that everything was set and that worst case he would email me the info and he would get us in. I felt like something was off, but the gears were in motion, my wife had bought a gown. So we flew to Cali with our 5 year old daughter... As the event neared I noticed Jason was not responding to my texts or emails. Which was strange as he had been very responsive. That sinking feeling in my stomach began. My wife and I were giving him the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps he was just busy with the event, but surely everything would work out. On that saturday, the day the event was scheduled, I hadn't heard anything. I knew something was wrong. My emails, texts, and phone calls to him were ignored. I did a google search on him and realized immediately what was up. He's a scam artist and a thief. I almost blew through the roof, I felt like a sucker. I told my wife, who was dissappointed to say the least. We were out airfare, time, and a painting. I contacted the charity and they denied working with Jason. The address I sent the artwork to was not the address the charity had work delivered. The sky was falling. But, because Jason is on facebook, I was able to track down the contact in LA whom he had me send my work to. I contacted this person, pretending to be excited about the charity, and just wanted to see if my art had arrived safely. Once she confirmed that she had the piece, I informed her that she was trafficking stolen artwork, that the authorities and my attorney had been notified, and that all she needed to do was give back the piece. Two days later I had my brother show up at her place at 8 am and retrieve it. I contacted Jason, but he never responded. Until yesterday, when he saw the thread on Doze's page. He claims he never intended on stealing the painting. That he was working tirelessly for the event. That it was all a misunderstanding. But notice, he did not go out on that thread and attempt to clear his name.
To be honest, I don't know how people like this exist. I don't understand the mentality. But in the art community, we are easy targets. We want our art careers to succeed, and we often work without nets. We take chances, and they often turn into amazing experiences. We grow our creativity and our community. We build trust in like minded people. It reaffirms our beliefs. But this guy is poison."

This artist was lucky. Most aren't. You'd be amazed who they've tapped lately. People need to speak up and share their stories to help prevent others from being taken.
Molotov Man
Black Book Gallery

Post by Molotov Man »

^Drives me crazy. This guy needs to be locked up.
djsp
Giant

Post by djsp »

Molotov Man wrote:^Drives me crazy. This guy needs to be locked up.
Troof.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

blk/mrkt, if you haven't already, please post that information on other forums (EB, banksy board, etc). it has more of an impact coming from you than someone else reposting it.