Banksy - Listed Mint - pinholes

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
cokes
Punk

Banksy - Listed Mint - pinholes

Post by cokes »

Started this topic looking for advice, here's the story for anyone who's interested.

Mid Oct purchased a Banksy Pulp Fiction off Ebay using best offer on the condition that I would do the background work to make sure their COA was legit. I'm currently living in the US and purchased from the UK.

Portion of description read:
"Mint condition 10/10, hasent seen day light and has been kept in acid free folder and has NEVER been framed like most banksys"

Did the background research, spoke to POW and they verified the COA and gave me the background on who the print had originated from and who had it now. Happy in that knowledge, Paypal'd the funds through.

Print arrived after international shipping with no visible damage to the tube. Rolled out the print, weighing down the corners with books and was happy with the print. No creases etc and the original POW paper was still around the print when I rolled it out. Everything seemed legit so laid it out under glassine and placed a bunch of heavy books over top to let it flatten out.

A few weeks later (yesterday) I went to put it into one of my alvin poster protectors to take it to get framed and I noticed that there were thumbtack holes at each corner of the print. Something which I've since found out is not that uncommon in older prints.

At this stage I've lodged a dispute and there have been three back and forth emails between the seller and I. He claims to be well established in the UK art market selling bankys etc. and swears black and blue that there were no holes at the corners when he shipped it.

On close inspection of the fourth photo showing the serial number you can see one of the holes. I never noticed it until I had seen it on my print and double checked the listing. The listing is at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 6736730004

Lucky I noticed this prior to the 45 days expiring which are soon coming up and a lesson learned for myself.
adambad
Giant

Re: Banksy - Listed Mint - pinholes

Post by adambad »

how long ago did you buy? this link didnt work for me.

would love to see that pic you are talking about.
cokes
Punk

Post by cokes »

As a footnote to the post above:

Aside from the pin holes, I am really happy with the print. Hopefully it gets resolved by eBay/PayPal effectively. I've never needed to use the dispute resolution but it is comforting to know it is there. Despite the vehement denial and the somewhat aggressive tone that they are using in responding, I am confident that I have a solid case. If not, I will get the print framed and carry on... c'est la vie. As a college student, money isn't easy to come by and investments like this take a considerable amount of thought but it's not the end of the world.

Compared to so many here I am a relative new comer with about 20 prints. I have some of the members here to thank for helping me out in expanding my collection.

Aside from this transaction, I have had nothing but good experiences using eBay and great experiences using this forum. I think that, in the vast majority of cases (this one aside) the mutual trust required using services like eBay is really an anecdote to those of the older generations that the world isn't devolving in front of their eyes and the internet has enabled for a global community to exist.

Fingers crossed, I'll keep you posted.
Cookie Head
Giant

Post by Cookie Head »

fribhey wrote:link is bad
I found it by item # 140465337112

And yes that sure looks like a pin hole! Hope this gets resolved for you.
cokes
Punk

Post by cokes »

thanks for that cookie
cokes
Punk

Post by cokes »

hercylicious
Giant

Post by hercylicious »

How much did you pay for it, you should ask for a CONSEQUENT refund imo
cokes
Punk

Post by cokes »

I paid just over $2,000 in line with the expressobeans 6months average. I really like the print and, realistically, would not mind the pin holes if they had been mentioned and priced accordingly.

By consequent do you mean partial refund? If so, what would you consider to be reasonable?
guppy
Posse

Post by guppy »

Can take it to a art/paper restoration place to see how much it cost to fix the pinholes?
MunkeyPants
Giant

Post by MunkeyPants »

I had a lengthy discussion with a gallery that resells a lot of Haring and other sought after prints by major artists in NYC back in May and i brought up edge condition as a factor in price of work due to the anal mentality that is seen on EB and other sites about MINT prints. Bottom line, it's all about the image seen after framing which would refer to creases, sun/light damage or acid burn. Frankly, if the mat covers the holes, and it's a piece of art you bought to keep on your wall long term, it's not worth restoring at this point. However, in 25 years, if the print is worth big duckets like some other prints that now sell for 25K+ and past the 50-60k range, restoration at that point might make sense.

If you really feel gypped, ask for a partial refund in the 2-400 dollar range 10-20%.
Submit. Rapture.
cokes
Punk

Post by cokes »

Thanks for the feedback munkey, they are some interesting points to note.

I went through the ebay resolution process, got an appraisal done at a local gallery and provided all the relevant information. After escalating the case, it looks like eBay ruled against me. No email or other notificaiton. I had to go to the resolution center and open the now closed case. All it had was:

Case closed
You don't need to do anything else.
You can also:
Appeal this decision.

Is it worth appealing the decision? At this point, it would be more out of principle. The seller was completely hostile and accusatory and swore black and blue throughout the process that I must have damaged the print whilst trying to frame it myself.... can someone point me in the direction of the "how to affix prints to corkboards" thread? It sickens me that someone would take a decent sum of money $2000+ fraudulently.
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

cokes wrote:Thanks for the feedback munkey, they are some interesting points to note.

I went through the ebay resolution process, got an appraisal done at a local gallery and provided all the relevant information. After escalating the case, it looks like eBay ruled against me. No email or other notificaiton. I had to go to the resolution center and open the now closed case. All it had was:

Case closed
You can also:
Appeal this decision.

Is it worth appealing the decision? At this point, it would be more out of principle. The seller was completely hostile and accusatory and swore black and blue throughout the process that I must have damaged the print whilst trying to frame it myself.... can someone point me in the direction of the "how to affix prints to corkboards" thread? It sickens me that someone would take a decent sum of money $2000+ fraudulently.
can't hurt to go for the appeal!
on point like a decimalist?
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

whyhoo wrote:
cokes wrote:Thanks for the feedback munkey, they are some interesting points to note.

Case closed
You can also:
Appeal this decision.

can't hurt to go for the appeal!
open a case with paypal, not ebay.
cokes
Punk

Post by cokes »

paypal defaults to ebay resolution if the item was purchased off ebay. I guess that's because ebay owns paypal.
QKocur
Giant

Post by QKocur »

appeal
Prints_of_Thieves
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Prints_of_Thieves »

if you have his personal info, send it over to 4chan, let them deal with him :lol:
truthiness
Giant

Post by truthiness »

Jumping on this late. Any update? Did you email the pictures to the seller pointing out the pin holes?

I hate eBay's resolution process. They make any type of dispute resolution so frustrating. Hope it works out for you.
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. -- George Orwell