Grass isn't always greener...USPS rant

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
DunDun
Giant

Grass isn't always greener...USPS rant

Post by DunDun »

So I know how we all hate UPS because they break stuff, but at least they can track stuff competently. I had a hold mail, while I was out of town for the holidays, and I ordered something from a company that uses USPS. The mail should've been held at the post office, but it's not there. One delivery attempt was made(even though I had requested them to hold my mail) and now there's no mention of it in the system. Says that sorting is complete(on the delivery confirmation number) and it's being held at the post office. I called the PO and they have no tube there, and on top of that I kept having to call diff PO annexes to see if the package is there. Some of the most incompetent customer service i've ever dealt with.

Conversely I had a package being held by UPS and even though they've made 3 attempts to deliver it they're going to re-deliver it tomorrow. Has anyone else noticed their USPS service has just gone to crepe the last few months?
conartstudio wrote:the majority here enjoy art, the majority on EB enjoy profiting off of art. people become ruthless when money is involved.
Cookie Head
Giant

Re: Grass isn't always greener...USPS rant

Post by Cookie Head »

Last month I had a couple packages that appeared to be lost, the shipping status never got beyond notification of shipping, called the 800 number and spoke with a customer service rep who resolved the issues by the next day and both packages were delivered. Not sure if you called the 800 or just your local PO, but you might give it a try,

Call 1-800-ASK-USPS®
(1-800-275-8777)
M-F - 8:00am-8:30pm ET
Sat - 8:00am-6:00pm ET
Sunday - Closed
DunDun
Giant

Post by DunDun »

Cookie Head wrote:Last month I had a couple packages that appeared to be lost, the shipping status never got beyond notification of shipping, called the 800 number and spoke with a customer service rep who resolved the issues by the next day and both packages were delivered. Not sure if you called the 800 or just your local PO, but you might give it a try,

Call 1-800-ASK-USPS®
(1-800-275-8777)
Sunday - Closed
Thanks! I called my local PO, the number above, plus the track and confirm line. I was dealing with a bunch of uninformed workers who didn't know what the other one's job was. The lady on the ASK USPS number told me that they don't do holds on packages, but someone else at my local PO said that's wrong. I dunno what's going on...

I also just noticed that I had TWO packages that were supposed to be delivered that day. Both have the same status: Sorting complete. WTF.
conartstudio wrote:the majority here enjoy art, the majority on EB enjoy profiting off of art. people become ruthless when money is involved.
thentherewasone
Giant

Post by thentherewasone »

DunDun wrote:
Cookie Head wrote:Last month I had a couple packages that appeared to be lost, the shipping status never got beyond notification of shipping, called the 800 number and spoke with a customer service rep who resolved the issues by the next day and both packages were delivered. Not sure if you called the 800 or just your local PO, but you might give it a try,

Call 1-800-ASK-USPS®
(1-800-275-8777)
Sunday - Closed
Thanks! I called my local PO, the number above, plus the track and confirm line. I was dealing with a bunch of uninformed workers who didn't know what the other one's job was. The lady on the ASK USPS number told me that they don't do holds on packages, but someone else at my local PO said that's wrong. I dunno what's going on...

I also just noticed that I had TWO packages that were supposed to be delivered that day. Both have the same status: Sorting complete. WTF.
So I deliver packages for the USPS. If your office is set up like ours, we get packages in separate of our regular mail. These packages get sorted into truck routes and taken out while the small parcels are given to carriers. Its pretty rare for us to see the notices for hold mail unless the carrier makes a particular effort to let us know. My assumption has always been that if you're ordering crepe in the mail you know you will be home for the next few weeks. All that being said, if your carrier has a mounted route then he/she would be taking the packages out with them and really should hold them along with your hold mail
vvk
Giant

Post by vvk »

while i was @ the post office about 2 years ago , i got a chance to go into the back room. inside I saw a big banner with a quote on it that read. " if the US postal office had to compete in the open market" they would no longer be in business" signed the ceo of UPS . then in a smaller statement it read.. " prove him wrong" signed by the main postal inspector/ ceo of the US .
shawndoc
Posse

Post by shawndoc »

I lost two sets of flatware that I purchased from Woot thanks to the USPS. Woot uses FedEx's service that uses the USPS for the final delivery. My box containing the flatware "Went out for delivery" but never made it to me. Status was just left as out for delivery for days. Called USPS to file a claim, they said someone would call me back in 2 business days. 10 days later they call me back saying they can't find it and quizzing me to make sure I didn't receive it (It had delivery confirmation). They say they'll call me back the next day.

2 weeks later they call me back, say they spoke to the postmen and he swears he delivered it. I say I never got it, they ask me about 3 or 4 different ways if I'm sure I never received it. I confirm I didn't.

They tell me tough luck, Woot didn't insure it so I'm out of luck.

Luckily woot was easy to deal with and gave me a refund. I would have preferred the flatware.