USPS blows

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

USPS blows

Post by jjttdw »

I am sure this is somewhere in a thread but I am too irritated to look. I recently put a few prints on eBay to partially defray the costs of buying something at the Toyroom / Outeredge show. After filing up a couple itoyas it's the first time I've sold prints. Here is my complaint......I took three of the same sized tubes on three different days to the same USPS donkey and was charged three different amounts. These were all sent to the same state. One time the donkey measured it the next time he didn't. It was not a busy post office and I am sure I am the only guy walking in with a tube so you think he would recognize me. I'm not sure if he doesn't care or got kicked in the head by a fellow donkey and the resulting brain damage left him unable to do his job consistently. Am I asking for too much?

I suppose I'll close with a question...if I were to print my own labels through eBay, what package size would I choose for USPS?
whyhoo
itsame

Re: USPS blows

Post by whyhoo »

paypal/USPS is the easiest . you may get charged extra for bigger tubes, just measure it yourself at home and punch it into paypal and print a label. you want to make sure you weigh the tube as well and that it's accurate. they will send stuff back that's not the right weight! if you can pick up some triangle mailers from the post office (or order them online) they're pretty awesome for shipping tubes and add minimal weight/size.
on point like a decimalist?
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

jjttdw wrote:I suppose I'll close with a question...if I were to print my own labels through eBay, what package size would I choose for USPS?
how can we tell you what package size to choose when we don't know the size of the package you are sending? if you are sending a tube just measure the length. if it's a 26" long, 3" diameter tube then put 26"x3"x3" package and check the box that says irregular (for tubes, triangles, none rectangle boxes).

like whyhoo said, just print out the labels through paypal. if you want to make your life even easier, pick up a zebra LP2844 thermal printer on ebay for $80-100 and print all your labels out on that.

and like whyhoo said, make sure they are weighed correctly. if you ship priority mail the weight doesn't have to be dead on because it's the same price from 0oz - 1lb, 1lb-2lb, etc while standard mail charges by the ounce.

and by the way, just because you sent to the same state doesn't mean the price should be the same. different areas of a state may be different prices. don't know why but that's just how it is.
thentherewasone
Giant

Post by thentherewasone »

If this was in the last week or two you were likely dealing with a clerk who is annoyed about his new contract. Their union did not work a favorable deal and a lot of their jobs and hrs of overtime are being given off to temp workers. This certainly doesn't excuse what he/she did, but it does explain it. At my office our clerk are essentially holding mail hostage and sorting it slower so that they can get overtime. That particular "craft" is filled with a lot of old timers working the system and costing the company a lot of dough.
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

"can we tell you what package size to choose when we don't know the size of the package you are sending? if you are sending a tube just measure the length. if it's a 26" long, 3" diameter tube then put 26"x3"x3" package and check the box that says irregular (for tubes, triangles, none rectangle boxes).dw"]I suppose I'll close with a question...if I were to print my own labels through eBay, what package size would I choose for USPS"

Is the obey 3" tube considered a medium box for the purposes of shipping priority mail? Sorry for asking such stupid questions. I've received more than a hundred tube through the years but was always a buyer.
Molotov Man
Black Book Gallery

Post by Molotov Man »

jjttdw wrote:"can we tell you what package size to choose when we don't know the size of the package you are sending? if you are sending a tube just measure the length. if it's a 26" long, 3" diameter tube then put 26"x3"x3" package and check the box that says irregular (for tubes, triangles, none rectangle boxes).dw"]I suppose I'll close with a question...if I were to print my own labels through eBay, what package size would I choose for USPS"

Is the obey 3" tube considered a medium box for the purposes of shipping priority mail? Sorry for asking such stupid questions. I've received more than a hundred tube through the years but was always a buyer.
There should be an option like "own packaging" or "other". Then you would put in the size. It would not be "medium".
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

jjttdw wrote:"can we tell you what package size to choose when we don't know the size of the package you are sending? if you are sending a tube just measure the length. if it's a 26" long, 3" diameter tube then put 26"x3"x3" package and check the box that says irregular (for tubes, triangles, none rectangle boxes).dw"]I suppose I'll close with a question...if I were to print my own labels through eBay, what package size would I choose for USPS"

in paypal shipping there's no "irregular", you just choose "package"!
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

Thanks everyone. I'm going to ship the next one with paypal label in medium box 1-2 lbs.
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Post by illyanadmc »

jjttdw wrote:Thanks everyone. I'm going to ship the next one with paypal label in medium box 1-2 lbs.
how are you going to ship a print in a medium box without damaging (i.e. folding) it?
i'm proud to be the shepherd of this herd of sharks.
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

jjttdw wrote:Thanks everyone. I'm going to ship the next one with paypal label in medium box 1-2 lbs.

in paypal when shipping, there's a drop down for "package size" - you need to choose "package" to send a tube - DO NOT choose any of the box size options - those are for flat rate shipping only in those special boxes that the post office provides!