USPS Blows Pt.2

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
superfly snuka
Propaganda Engineer

USPS Blows Pt.2

Post by superfly snuka »

This may have been brought up before, but I recently ran into a problem that I want to warn everyone about - if you weren't already aware of this. To make a long story short I sold a $400 print on ebay to a Canadian buyer. The buyer specifically told me not to put a high value amount, so basically there was no way to insure the piece since the buyers request was to not put the proper value of it. I go ahead and send it via USPS first class international and they say the can't track it once it's in their hands. According to the buyer, to date the piece hasn't arrived. Not to be paranoid, but unless the buyer is trust worthy (I obviously don't know this person) and acknowledges it has arrived, I have no other way to "track" the delivery process. That being said the buyer can turn around and open a paypal dispute get their money back and on top of that i'm out an expensive print - double whammy and i'm F%$ked. Hopefully this guy is an honest person and doesn't screw me, but wanted to protect all you other peeps from making this mistake. That being said - I will never ship without full value and insurance again...
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Re: USPS Blows Pt.2

Post by illyanadmc »

there should be a number on your customs form that USPS can use to do some sort of internal check-up on the package. find a friendly clerk and ask!
i'm proud to be the shepherd of this herd of sharks.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

problem #1: you didn't declare the correct value on the shipment

problem #2: you sent it first class, sorry to say but it's the cheapo option. international shipments should ALWAYS be sent via USPS Global Express Guaranteed which is the ONLY option that USPS has for international shipments with tracking.
superfly snuka
Propaganda Engineer

Post by superfly snuka »

illyanadmc wrote:there should be a number on your customs form that USPS can use to do some sort of internal check-up on the package. find a friendly clerk and ask!
Thanks! Yeah, i'll have to go into the branch I sent it from and ask. I spoke to 3 people on the phone today and their manager as well. I got nowhere and was basically told i'm SOL. Will keep everyone posted...
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

superfly snuka wrote:
illyanadmc wrote:there should be a number on your customs form that USPS can use to do some sort of internal check-up on the package. find a friendly clerk and ask!
Thanks! Yeah, i'll have to go into the branch I sent it from and ask. I spoke to 3 people on the phone today and their manager as well. I got nowhere and was basically told i'm SOL. Will keep everyone posted...
No need to go in to the PO. Just input the number found on your carbon of the customs declaration form into the tracking field at USPS.com.
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
foster
Swindler

Post by foster »

As someone who has shipped thousands of packages overseas I can tell you if the buyer files a claim with PayPal, and you have no proof it arrived and was signed for, you'll lose.

Declaring the full value wouldn't have helped you since without tracking the post office isn't going to pay off any insurance claim for a lost package.

Canadian customs is notoriously slow at letting packages through. It can take up to three or four weeks and I'd say the average is two weeks. The buyer is covered for something like 90 days from PayPal. I'd ask him to just wait a few weeks and see if it arrives. At this point you're at the buyers mercy, so try to be really cool in dealing with them.

Good luck.
Solar
Giant

Post by Solar »

fribhey wrote:problem #1: you didn't declare the correct value on the shipment

problem #2: you sent it first class, sorry to say but it's the cheapo option. international shipments should ALWAYS be sent via USPS Global Express Guaranteed which is the ONLY option that USPS has for international shipments with tracking.
Agree on both points, but you don't have to use Global Express Guaranteed. Express Mail International works just as well and is usually much cheaper.

Just stay away from Priority and First Class if you want tracking and the protection it provides from Paypal claim scams.
superfly snuka
Propaganda Engineer

Post by superfly snuka »

Thanks guys. Very valuable info.

All that shows up @ usps.com as it has been accepted for a shipment and it ends there info wise.

I have shipped tons of stuff my entire life and never had an issue til now and figured i'd let others know...
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

USPS express only, full value declared and insured for international. and if the buyer wants to do the ol' "i need it declared lower" i explain to them that i will not be held responsible for damage or loss and to protect myself they have to send me a gift payment for the convenience of me declaring a lower value. not sure that's completely rock solid, but that's the way i handle it.
on point like a decimalist?
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

I just did almost the same thing. I sold three prints for $400 to someone in Sweden who was new to the board. The tariffs on stuff coming from the states are onerous so he asked me to declare it as a gift and place the value low. I did just that. I told him I could not insure them for what I sold them for. He understood and said as long as they were packed well there shouldn't be an issue. Not trusting mail delivery people, I placed the prints in a three inch pcv pipe capped and taped the ends. That pipe has a crush weight of 400 pounds. It is sealed so well that you could toss in your tub, go out to eat, and the prints would be fine. After putting the pipe in a tube, I sent it via USPS. I sent it registered mail which means I have proof it was delivered.

I'm sure I am not completely covered but I am willing to trust that I will not get screwed. Most who collect prints are an honorable bunch.

For all the prints I bought or sold, I only had one bad experience. It that case the moron sent the print in a triangle box that got crushed and made it clear that any shortage from the insurance would fall one me. While I might be willing to share the loss for something well packed, I was not going to take a loss because some idiot did not even ship in a tube.
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

Hit submit twice and just deleted the dupe post
lepublicnme
Giant

Post by lepublicnme »

fribhey wrote:USPS Global Express Guaranteed which is the ONLY option that USPS has for international shipments with tracking.
I'm on the other side, my experiences were :
- I had several issues when packages are sent with First Class International (lost packages, damaged...)
- I never had a problem when it was shipped with Priority International (and I can track the package from sender to me)
- I never had an issue when it was shipped with Express International but always had some custom fees to pay to get my package.

I ended asking all my packages coming from the US to be shipped with Priority International... best price - quality - speed ratio

XXXX
Solar
Giant

Post by Solar »

lepublicnme wrote:
fribhey wrote:USPS Global Express Guaranteed which is the ONLY option that USPS has for international shipments with tracking.
- I had several issues when packages are sent with First Class International (lost packages, damaged...)
- I never had a problem when it was shipped with Priority International (and I can track the package from sender to me)
- I never had an issue when it was shipped with Express International but always had some custom fees to pay to get my package.

I ended asking all my packages coming from the US to be shipped with Priority International... best price - quality - speed ratio

XXXX
How do you track them on your end when the item is shipped Priority? I'm wondering if the customs number provides more detail when you use it on your local carrier's website.
lepublicnme
Giant

Post by lepublicnme »

Solar wrote:
lepublicnme wrote:

XXXX
How do you track them on your end when the item is shipped Priority? I'm wondering if the customs number provides more detail when you use it on your local carrier's website.
Very easy...
I'm using the Label Number provided by USPS (or the seller), and checking on usps.com
it looks like this :
I can even see the different attempts of delivery, until the package is delivered.

My local postal service tracking is complete bu11shit.

XXXX
superfly snuka
Propaganda Engineer

Post by superfly snuka »

This rules. Thanks guys...
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

The prints I sold just arrived safe and sound. It cost an extra $11.50 to send it registered but it was worth the peace of mind.
superfly snuka
Propaganda Engineer

Post by superfly snuka »

I'm very happy to say this has a happy ending and the print arrived. Lesson learned.

This board provides great therapy.
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

Nice!