official Ebay WOW this print went low Thread

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Re: official Ebay WOW this print went low Thread

Post by jjttdw »

Why couldn't I be so lucky as to be on eBay when this was posted. An HPM for $1,700.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shepard-Fairey- ... 3ce1fbdf18
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

Is it me....or have Obey prices softened? That price is absurd.
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

I've seen a few prints from a couple years ago that have kind of dropped, like Partisan. Most of the other stuff seems ok though. I heard that a fair number of album cover HPMs did not sell at the last show but that may have as much to do with the images available and volume or pieces.
therivler1
Punk

Post by therivler1 »

that is just a stupid silly price. i wouldn't read much into it. anyone here would have snatched that up if they saw it.
DunDun
Giant

Post by DunDun »

I'd say that image is in near the top of the least desirable images every done by Shep. Image is king.

I wouldn't be surprised if art prices are starting to drop. There is usually a direct correlation between a healthy economy and art/collectible prices. In a recession art/collectibles prices rise as investors are scared off by traditional methods of investment and during an economic boom it's the opposite.
conartstudio wrote:the majority here enjoy art, the majority on EB enjoy profiting off of art. people become ruthless when money is involved.
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

A combination of - not such a desirable image and an increasing output of prints and fine art bridges the gap between supply and demand.
As always with Shep and as DunDun mentions above, "Image is King". The highly sought after images will hold their value IMO.

That said, the above price for that HPM is mental. Id happily of payed a few hundred more for that same piece.
Cookie Head
Giant

Post by Cookie Head »

Since it was a buy it now price I see this as irrelevant as to actual market forces....but I know nothing.
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

I agree with the mantra " image is everything". I would also like to add that legacy also place a big deal as well.
For instance, I recently sold a HPM Album Peace bomber for over the 4K mark Why? Because the interest was about the image. Additionally, the buyer was aware of the debacle it took people to buy the print version. However, another HPM album that I owned a year ago fetched only 3K. The image was so-so to most buyers.

Thoughts?
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

I'm certainly not reading anything into the BIN price of the HPM that sold on eBay. The first person who ran across the listing who knew what it was and had the money bought it. At worst I think it would sell for $2.7k in no time though it would take time to try to get $4k for it. In short, someone got a gift. If it were me I would sell it and take the $1-1.5k and buy something I like more.

I wouldn't put it at the bottom of Shep's images, that is reserved for Writing on the Wall. Paul Watson and Your Eyes Here were terrible too IMO.
Solar
Giant

Post by Solar »

submethod wrote:I agree with the mantra " image is everything". I would also like to add that legacy also place a big deal as well.
For instance, I recently sold a HPM Album Peace bomber for over the 4K mark Why? Because the interest was about the image. Additionally, the buyer was aware of the debacle it took people to buy the print version. However, another HPM album that I owned a year ago fetched only 3K. The image was so-so to most buyers.

Thoughts?
That's always been the way of things. Top HPM album covers sell around 4K while the bottom tier images don't even sell out at shows. HPM album covers are what, edition of 10 now? That's small for an individual image, so if there's a particular one you (and everyone else) want, it's going to be a bidding war. On the flip side, there are 100s of different images, so that edition of 10 also means there's a TON of total supply, leaving mediocre to bottom images at primary price (or lower for the worst of the worst).
Solar
Giant

Post by Solar »

jjttdw wrote:I'm certainly not reading anything into the BIN price of the HPM that sold on eBay. The first person who ran across the listing who knew what it was and had the money bought it. At worst I think it would sell for $2.7k in no time though it would take time to try to get $4k for it. In short, someone got a gift. If it were me I would sell it and take the $1-1.5k and buy something I like more.

I wouldn't put it at the bottom of Shep's images, that is reserved for Writing on the Wall. Paul Watson and Your Eyes Here were terrible too IMO.
I think Johnny Cash and the Clash HPM piece sold for around 3k each in no reserve auctions. 3K seems like the ebay floor for 18x24 HPMs on wood, so yeah, that BAMN was a steal. An ugly steal, but still a steal.
sweetjesus
Propaganda Engineer

Post by sweetjesus »

I don't know why you guys don't like this image...I think it's strong.

anywho.... i don't think this worked out for the seller like he thought it would:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dave-Chappelle- ... true&rt=nc
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

I like Chappell, I just don't want to look at a picture of him. And that was a pretty harsh closing price for the seller. IMO you never start at 99 cents for a mediocre image or that is what you get. I learned that the hard way by starting at 99 cents on Nico and having it close at $27.
sweetjesus
Propaganda Engineer

Post by sweetjesus »

oh, i bet that did hurt. My image statement was about the previous comments on By Any Means. I dig it.
Right there with you on Chappell. Like his work, wouldn't have him on the wall...
sweetjesus
Propaganda Engineer

Post by sweetjesus »

Wow, i took my eye off the ball and this happened. Who here snagged it? 'Fess up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331328121974?_t ... 66.R2.TR15
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

A guy from NC on EB scooped it up. He asked where I got mine and I saw one on eBay and pointed him to it.
rlbchef
Giant

Post by rlbchef »

jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

I forgot about the Moby Deeck print. Was watching it in eBay and forgot to bid. With an edition of 300 more are certain to surface.
sweetjesus
Propaganda Engineer

Post by sweetjesus »

The Great White tool?

edit: it auto-subbed 'tool'
rlbchef
Giant

Post by rlbchef »

I should have bid more. Two prints that don't come up very often

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shepard-Fairey- ... 7675.l2557