Instagram

Mindless Chatter - Not related? Post it here.
Wheels
Posse

Re: Instagram

Post by Wheels »

https://plus.google.com/105068913962018 ... KDDHe58Fp2

Love,
The Social Media Luddite

*Edit* ... and I love the irony that I found that quote on G+. :lol: :lol: :lol:
You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.
~Malcolm X
hexterb
Propaganda Engineer

Post by hexterb »

hexterb
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

i agree with the "Fvck Instagram" sentiment BUT i'll wait till it gets closer to january 16 when the new TOS takes effect. this issue of image/photo rights happens every couple years with different free services ending with the companies ultimately back tracking and rewriting the TOS. i'd rather wait to see what happens but i have a feeling facebook doesn't give a cr4p and won't change anything.

i'd like to know how many people who are complaining about the change are using free email services like gmail. nothing in life is free.
Giant

Post by 843 »

I dont see what all the fuss it about....if Instagram wants to sell my photos of what i ate for dinner or of the fish i catch...be my guest!!
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

fribhey wrote:
i agree with the "Fvck Instagram" sentiment BUT i'll wait till it gets closer to january 16 when the new TOS takes effect. this issue of image/photo rights happens every couple years with different free services ending with the companies ultimately back tracking and rewriting the TOS. i'd rather wait to see what happens but i have a feeling facebook doesn't give a cr4p and won't change anything.

i'd like to know how many people who are complaining about the change are using free email services like gmail. nothing in life is free.
Gmail doesn't read your mail or sell it's content just because you are using their service. They merely serve you targeted ads.

This guy is giving out free candy.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

cybernigel wrote:
fribhey wrote:

Gmail doesn't read your mail or sell it's content just because you are using their service. They merely serve you targeted ads.

You can't be serious... Google using the content in your private email to sell their advertising services to companies is absolutely no different than Instagram using you photos to sell their advertising services.

The difference is that you are told of google's intentions when you sign up, they didn't change the rules after the fact (although I do believe they have done exactly that with other services).
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

cybernigel wrote:Instascam
#quitstagram
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

fribhey wrote:
cybernigel wrote:
fribhey wrote:

You can't be serious... Google using the content in your private email to sell their advertising services to companies is absolutely no different than Instagram using you photos to sell their advertising services.

The difference is that you are told of google's intentions when you sign up, they didn't change the rules after the fact (although I do believe they have done exactly that with other services).
It's not to sell their advertising services - it's to sell the actual photos to advertisers.

If Instagram programmatically scanned your images and detected your pictures of say, boats and then served you boat ads that would be akin to what Google does.

If Google read your email and said, hmm, I like this passage, I'm going to take Fribhey's review of this new fishing boat that he privately wrote to a friend and include this writing verbatim in an advertisement of the boat for other people- that is basically what Instagram is reserving the right to do. Pretty different in my mind.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

cybernigel wrote:
fribhey wrote:
cybernigel wrote:
fribhey wrote:

It's not to sell their advertising services - it's to sell the actual photos to advertisers.

If Instagram programmatically scanned your images and detected your pictures of say, boats and then served you boat ads that would be akin to what Google does.

If Google read your email and said, hmm, I like this passage, I'm going to take Fribhey's review of this new fishing boat that he privately wrote to a friend and include this writing verbatim in an advertisement of the boat for other people- that is basically what Instagram is reserving the right to do. Pretty different in my mind.
let's start over...

google = :evil:
instagram/facebook = :twisted:

they both want to sell our souls to other companies
Last edited by conartstudio on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Backpackpunk
Giant

Post by Backpackpunk »

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/18/3780 ... eally-mean

Also this seems to be pretty much the same boilerplate print that most services post in the T.O.S.. Also isn't this pretty much expected at this point from most if not all of these sites/apps.
random message board post about art wrote: This past weekend I briefly visited a room that had three faithful reproductions of Duchamp's Fountain. Not only did I notice, I used one of them. It's so interesting because the work tells the truth.
itsniceouthtere wrote:yeah because we all know how intricate and deep the meaning within street art can be. If anything, street art is the MOST LITERAL FORM OF ART! if street art has made any negative impression on society today, its that it has made every 13 yr old with $100 and an eBay account into an art know-it-all.
Jason Filipow wrote: "MBW was that last bit of dead weight that broke the rear axle of the street art bandwagon."
http://www.shuffleandcut.com
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

Backpackpunk wrote:http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/18/3780 ... eally-mean

Also this seems to be pretty much the same boilerplate print that most services post in the T.O.S.. Also isn't this pretty much expected at this point from most if not all of these sites/apps.
and that article said exactly what i was talking about... they aren't really "selling" the photos for other companies to use but are selling advertising space and allowing other companies to use your photos in that advertising space on instagram. they are using photos to tailor advertising to it's users, the EXACT same thing google does with gmail, web browser tracking, etc.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

fribhey wrote:
Backpackpunk wrote:http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/18/3780 ... eally-mean

and that article said exactly what i was talking about... they aren't really "selling" the photos for other companies to use but are selling advertising space and allowing other companies to use your photos in that advertising space on instagram. they are using photos to tailor advertising to it's users, the EXACT same thing google does with gmail, web browser tracking, etc.
"selling advertising space and allowing other companies to use your photos in that advertising space on instagram"

"We aren't selling you B, we are selling you A which contains B" is the same thing as "We are selling you B."

Where are the other companies getting the photos that they are going to use in advertising space? From Instagram. How did they get them from Instagram? They paid them money for it. That's really selling the photos.

Google is *not* doing that with gmail. They are selling meta data not actual content. Google+ is a different story.

However, Instagram has now backtracked due to the outcry:
http://money.cnn.com/2012/12/18/technol ... tml?iid=EL
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

[quote="cybernigel]

Image[/quote]

Isn't that the van from Silence of the Lambs?

halopigg
Giant

Post by halopigg »

Bump!!!! Still @halopigg and still posting lots of art photos!
Who's got my old stickers?
outeredgestudio
Giant

Post by outeredgestudio »

outeredgestudio
David Choe prints http://outeredgestudio.com
SHT!
Giant

Post by SHT! »

@shtexclamation

just started following some of you dudes who i wasnt already following!
SHT! Store
http://www.SHTexclamation.com
SHT! Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/SHTexclamation
SHT! Email
imakeSHT@gmail.com
SHT! Instagram
@SHTexclamation
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

@karlreadart
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

Still here: http://instagram.com/conartstudio

And been following a bunch of you guys for a while now :)
MrMurk
Black Book Gallery

Post by MrMurk »

Blackbookgallery
"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources" Albert Einstein

Black Book Gallery | Instagram
oneurko
Punk

Post by oneurko »

urko_one

Feel free to follow me if you like my art
halopigg
Giant

Post by halopigg »

Thanks for the support y'all! just hit 14k! (gold)
ideabolo
Giant

Post by ideabolo »

@whatsbeef & @toykio
please check: TOYKIO & my instagram is: toykio
TinManOne
Giant

Post by TinManOne »

Samuellowder_freprs
Modern art = I could do that + yeah... but you didnt
halopigg
Giant

Post by halopigg »

halopigg wrote:Thanks for the support y'all! just hit 14k! (gold)

Woot woot! Almost at 30k! Thanks y'all!!!