Its been a long time

Mindless Chatter - Not related? Post it here.
extremeimages77
Giant

Its been a long time

Post by extremeimages77 »

Long time no see my giant friends....
"Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded.
Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth
or fourteenth."
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Re: Its been a long time

Post by conartstudio »

Welcome back! Where've you been?
extremeimages77
Giant

Post by extremeimages77 »

trapped in wonderland
"Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded.
Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth
or fourteenth."
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

Know the feeling.
See less of the old Skool giant.org round here these days, including myself.
jwoods103
Giant

Post by jwoods103 »

slidingaround wrote:Know the feeling.
See less of the old Skool giant.org round here these days, including myself.

I guess, i'll stick my head in for an appearance too.

Hows everyone been. been a long time
Check out what i have for sale or trade and my wants:

http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=2222" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stone Age
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Stone Age »

Place definitely seems to be dying a slow death.
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

Yo! :-)
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

WATTUP
on point like a decimalist?
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

Stone Age wrote:Place definitely seems to be dying a slow death.
Since a good number of old timers don't post here much anymore....it begs the questions why?
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

jjttdw wrote:
Since a good number of old timers don't post here much anymore....it begs the questions why?
Changing priorities in life ie marriage, babies, or just a loss of interst in art print collecting.
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

jjttdw wrote:
Why post here? The platinum club forum is way better.
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

quite fitting for this thread..... lol :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTFD5DZwK7g

happy tuesday folks.... ec
A New Hot Girl Joins the Giant.org every minute!
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

spagucci1 wrote:
jjttdw wrote:
Changing priorities in life ie marriage, babies, or just a loss of interst in art print collecting.
I started collecting after marriage and babies so I guess I will disappear when I lose interest in collecting. When that happens I plan on having a big sale and taking a nice vacation.
DunDun
Giant

Post by DunDun »

jjttdw wrote:
IMO a lot of "art toy" collectors moved into collecting prints once the toy boom died down. Now that the print collecting boom is over only the true fans are left.

IMO the scene slowed down because people were tired of getting shut out on lots of releases. With the emphasis on value of art, instead of the value of the image, it lead to a bunch of people who don't care at all about art to get into the game. This lead to an oversaturation of the market, as artists tried to capitalize on this, but eventually people actually started buying what they actually liked, instead of buying everything for future value. Now it seems that things are finally leveling off

Artists seem to be putting quality work out and less frequently. Even Shepard seems to have scaled back his output. There is also the fact that Shepard's message has mellowed over the years, so that might have turned off lots of his old time fans. I think it's a combination of the eBeans aka the oversaturation of flippers, art not being so "cool" as it was 4-5 years ago and the fact that lots of people have moved on because they're in a different place in their lives now.
conartstudio wrote:the majority here enjoy art, the majority on EB enjoy profiting off of art. people become ruthless when money is involved.
notudon
Giant

Post by notudon »

But we are talking about this forum, not Shepard's artwork. His business is not dying a slow death. If anything it is more profitable now and more global than it was before.

I was a fan of his art when I joined this group and still am. The fact that my interest in his art from 2001 onwards and my collecting has been rewarding artistically and financially is a bonus.

People come and go on this forum and in life in general. When I see a friend in person who I have not seen in years I am happy to catch up and see what's new with them. Same for the folks on this forum. When people drop off I wonder what happened, but there are new members that join in their place. Happy to see some old time members chime in.
Check out my print collection. http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=1462" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or http://www.expressobeans.com/members/co ... p?id=12750" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DunDun
Giant

Post by DunDun »

notudon wrote:But we are talking about this forum, not Shepard's artwork. His business is not dying a slow death. If anything it is more profitable now and more global than it was before.

I was a fan of his art when I joined this group and still am. The fact that my interest in his art from 2001 onwards and my collecting has been rewarding artistically and financially is a bonus.

People come and go on this forum and in life in general. When I see a friend in person who I have not seen in years I am happy to catch up and see what's new with them. Same for the folks on this forum. When people drop off I wonder what happened, but there are new members that join in their place. Happy to see some old time members chime in.
The thing is there really aren't many new members joining anymore. There was a huge influx for years, but IMO it's all to do with the "scene" not being as cool/profitable as it was a few years ago. Shepard is as popular as ever, but his new prints don't flip for nearly what they used to a few years ago.

If we are gonna go down the road of value, I would argue that Shepard's NEW works sell for less than they did a few years ago. Look at some of the most sought after prints from this year compared to 2009. In '09 prints like Israel/Palestine or Peace Elephant were the most sought after 2009 prints(and were hailed as a return to the old OBEY stuff after a disappointing string of releases), bidding on eBay started at 325 and 400 respectively. Fast forward to today and the best prints of the year that are not collabs are Universal Personhood, Peace & Justice Woman, and Sedation Pill; each have barely hit $200 on the initial bidding. Is it the image then? I don't think so. I really don't understand why I/P and Elephant are so popular. The three aforementioned prints from this year had the hype with them too. I got shut out of Universal Personhood too, which hasn't happened in a long time.

IMO the market is adjusting and since it's not as profitable as it used to be, new blood is hesitant to make an investment of time/money in this anymore. Prints are put out with the average person in mind, not the high end art collector. I can't believe that I was able to score a Phil Frost print from Arkitip last month for the same price they released them for in 2007, while his fine art works have shot through the roof. I put the decline of this board solely on the fact that new blood isn't jumping in at the same numbers as it used to while the usual turnover of people is staying the same.
conartstudio wrote:the majority here enjoy art, the majority on EB enjoy profiting off of art. people become ruthless when money is involved.
jwoods103
Giant

Post by jwoods103 »

i was just here for the gangbang :oops:

life got busy, collecting morphed into higher end pieces. and what dun dun said you cant buy every release and at some point you relize that
Check out what i have for sale or trade and my wants:

http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=2222" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stone Age
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Stone Age »

jjttdw wrote:
They've likely found more active forums. It used to be on places like EB there was much less chatter about urban art. Now that's not the case (for whichever reason you'd choose to believe) so several members from here post there more frequently instead. New members are also more likely to sign up there (or banksyforum) than here.
JErikR
Giant

Post by JErikR »

By the way, where do all the Old Skool Giant.org peeps hang out these days? I think I missed the memo. Expressobeans, banksy.info, Fight Club?
JErikR
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

JErikR wrote:By the way, where do all the Old Skool Giant.org peeps hang out these days? I think I missed the memo. Expressobeans, banksy.info, Fight Club?
Platinum club ;)
djsp
Giant

Post by djsp »

The old gang's all here!
I'll throw in my piece:
I'm not super into what is coming out currently, others are and that's great, but the prints aren't really for me. I ran out of wall space so I bought a bigger house. :) I ran out of wall space again and realized I have a lot of stuff that will never see the light of day so why keep buying. Now I focus mostly on other artists and originals. I buy the occasional print, just because I can't help myself, but the last Obey I bought was the Star letterpress. I think Dun Dun is right in that once flipping went, a lot of the commotion on here went. Then priorities changed and well, this is what we have. I still stop by once a day to see if there ware topics of interest, but gone are the days of checking all the time for the latest update. :sigh: The good old days. :)
Last edited by djsp on Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JErikR
Giant

Post by JErikR »

conartstudio wrote:
JErikR wrote:By the way, where do all the Old Skool Giant.org peeps hang out these days? I think I missed the memo. Expressobeans, banksy.info, Fight Club?
Platinum club ;)
Ha! I knew it!
JErikR
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

Now I feel like the kid that got to the party just when everyone is leaving.
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

Just to chime in where I am......

A mixture of getting married, having a baby girl and very busy with work limits my time on the net these days.
I must admit though, I spend more time on the banksy forum these days. I love the members here but there are less of us that frequent the forum these days. A good crew though, with great collections and excellent knowledge.

If I'm honest I have got a bit bored with shepards work. Don't get me wrong, I still love what he does and still have quite a few prints and a piece on metal.However I'm bored with the work he is putting out these days, I'm talking prints.
The fine art pieces are a different story, love em but I'm priced out these days apart from an HPM on wood, a record or metal piece from source. Again, I'm bored of not getting a chance at a decent image and will not just buy a weak image to secure a fine art piece. He is saturating the market with fine art now, just as he has prints.

The reason why I spend a bit more time on the banksy forum is, there is much more talk about other artists that is gaining my attention.
I still pop in here every other day to see what's going on and still think we have a great community on this forum and occasionally like a new obey print, but I'd like to see something new.
lepublicnme
Giant

Post by lepublicnme »

I really put the foot on brake when it comes to buy prints, wall space, framing costs, 3 y.o. kid are reasons... another reason comes from the art itself, I find images weaker and weaker over the years, in the last 3 years, to me, SF did not put on sale any prints I would buy on the second hand if shut done on og.com... and yes the platinum forum area is so much better ...

XXXX