Poster Grading via CGC :: What?

Mindless Chatter - Not related? Post it here.
submethod
Giant

Poster Grading via CGC :: What?

Post by submethod »

So, as many of you might know, I am also an avid comic book collector. And in that industry CGC is the golden standard of grading books and turning a Walking Dead #1 from $500 to a whopping $10,000 provided the grade is high enough. The highest grade a comic can get is a 10.0 ( dead mint / absolute gem).

So imagine my surprise when I now see CGC grading concert posters. So here is a question, would you trust these guys to grade your prints? Remember, they may not be aware of the importance and significance of signatures, print runs, etc.

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/posters.asp
rlbchef
Giant

Re: Poster Grading via CGC :: What?

Post by rlbchef »

Interesting. I'll have look into this.
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

With some of the older obey stuff it would be nice to just have it declared authentic
Solar
Giant

Post by Solar »

submethod wrote:So, as many of you might know, I am also an avid comic book collector. And in that industry CGC is the golden standard of grading books and turning a Walking Dead #1 from $500 to a whopping $10,000 provided the grade is high enough. The highest grade a comic can get is a 10.0 ( dead mint / absolute gem).

So imagine my surprise when I now see CGC grading concert posters. So here is a question, would you trust these guys to grade your prints? Remember, they may not be aware of the importance and significance of signatures, print runs, etc.

Looks like they're only grading very specific posters at the moment. CGC has a good reputation and I'd trust them to be able to perform the services they offer. I'd be skeptical of their authority if they claimed to be able to grade any print out there, but since it's a very limited range, I'm sure they have an appropriate expert lined up.
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

Solar wrote:
submethod wrote:So, as many of you might know, I am also an avid comic book collector. And in that industry CGC is the golden standard of grading books and turning a Walking Dead #1 from $500 to a whopping $10,000 provided the grade is high enough. The highest grade a comic can get is a 10.0 ( dead mint / absolute gem).

Looks like they're only grading very specific posters at the moment. CGC has a good reputation and I'd trust them to be able to perform the services they offer. I'd be skeptical of their authority if they claimed to be able to grade any print out there, but since it's a very limited range, I'm sure they have an appropriate expert lined up.
I would think they would have to bring a fine art or street art expert to know the ins and outs for what we collect. For instance, would they be well versed enough to know older Obey prints have pin holes or that certain prints do not have signatures.

Or even more importantly, CGC has a strict rule about signatures being authenticated while they witness a signing. For example, all comics with a yellow Certification Notice mean the comic was signed in person by the author, artist, or star.
I wonder how they would get around the "in person witness" rule?

Jeez, can you imagine slabbing all your prints? It would be a storage nightmare.