EPL: Nobody Likes Us (and we don't care)

Mindless Chatter - Not related? Post it here.
QKocur
Giant

Re: EPL: Nobody Likes Us (and we don't care)

Post by QKocur »

I like Szczsesny. I agree he needs more experience, but I worry about bringing in someone else because it could squash his progression or perhaps result in him moving to a different club. He is young, shows a great deal of natural talent, and has a confidence that is very palpable even after some mistakes. He could potentially be a solid first team keeper for two decades so I see it as worth the risk. I'd keep Lehmann another season to pass on some knowledge to the young pole, train with him in the preseason. I never want to see Almunia again
Cookie Head
Giant

Post by Cookie Head »

The Gunners will be hard pressed to stay in the top 4 next season.
lawdog15
Punk

Post by lawdog15 »

Cookie Head wrote:The Gunners will be hard pressed to stay in the top 4 next season.
That's been said for a few years now. I think Arsene is under such pressure that he will break his mold in the transfer market and bring in what the team needs. The team itself has enough quality, even if Cesc leaves, that with a few additions, the top 4 should be no problem again. Maybe not top 2, but top 4 no doubt. At least I hope so anyway.
QKocur
Giant

Post by QKocur »

Cookie Head wrote:The Gunners will be hard pressed to stay in the top 4 next season.
:roll: I've heard that before. The Gunners will win it next season! :twisted:
Cookie Head
Giant

Post by Cookie Head »

We'll see. You guys maybe right but I think the top 3 teams this year will remain the same next year and Liverpool will have something to say about the 4th slot.
QKocur
Giant

Post by QKocur »

Yeah we'll see, I agree with Liverpool pushing for it, but Chelsea will have a big question mark over them.. New manager, restructured team as Drogba is leaving, etc.. Man City is unpredictable and volatile as well, especially as it looks Tevez will be leaving... A lot depends on what happens during Arsenals summer, if things go smoothly and they use the actual resources they have then I'm gonna wager that it will be Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, and either Man City or Chelsea will collapse.
lawdog15
Punk

Post by lawdog15 »

It will be interesting to see Liverpool with a healthy Gerrard and Carrol. Two strong players. It will also be interesting to see if Reina stays (I'm hoping Arsene can somehow get him to London).

You are right though, Q, Arsenal needs to spend on quality. I'm a bit over the young lineup. Sure they've progressed, but no trophys in six years, that just doesn't cut it for a big club.
QKocur
Giant

Post by QKocur »

I'm not so worried about the youth of the squad really, I'm just sick of Wenger and his big heart giving mediocre players chance after chance to come good, giving them such high salaries, when its clear they don't deserve it and should be shipped out (ie Denilson). There is too much coddling done behind the scenes and not enough head knocking.

The trophyless thing is too much of a distraction. When it comes down to it I couldn't care less over the Carling or FA cups, leave them to youth blooding and 2nd team development IMO. The only competitions the first team should focus on at all is the CL and the EPL. I don't want them getting hung up about missing out on the mickey mouse Carling cup and blowing the league again like they did this year.

But you're absolutely right lawdog15, it comes down to evening out the proportion of the spending going towards youth investment and proven quality players. Hopefully this has really sunken in for Wenger.. I think he is a genius, keeping us up top and paying off the stadium with little to no investment for the last few years, but now that finances are in tip top shape he has got to focus on quality over potential.

Finances are the main reason I don't believe anything anyone says about Arsenal dropping down in the future. When it comes down to it there are going to be very rocky financial roads in the very near future (after this summer with FFP) and Arsenal are just about the only club in Europe in a position to deal with them without sacrificing dearly. What do you think is going to happen when Man City and Chelsea can no longer spend ridiculously and Man Utd can't continue along with the shear size of their debt and Fergie retires? Arsenal will outlast all those clubs, hands-f*cking-down!
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Shutchomouth.
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
Cookie Head
Giant

Post by Cookie Head »

admonkey wrote:
Shutchomouth.
Hey now! It's fun to look back on the 1st page of this thread. How things have changed for us City fans!
lawdog15
Punk

Post by lawdog15 »

A lot of talk out there about Nasri leaving for ManU. Hope that isn't the case, I'd like to see him take over Cesc's role in the middle (assuming Cesc is already out the door).
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

God I hate Dempsey.
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

Gigantico wrote:God I hate Dempsey.
Can't complain today, but that Adu pass and that Landon laser were both very nice.

Pasadena on Saturday should be entertaining.
QKocur
Giant

Post by QKocur »

I hate June.
Freeelander
Posse

Post by Freeelander »

QKocur wrote:I hate June.
Is it August yet!?
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

4 Unanswered. Viva Mexico!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRDYTm-Q2T4

danklax5
Giant

Post by danklax5 »

I'm still in awe of that 4th goal by Mexico...
"I make my own luck."
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

Good 1st half of Argentina-Uruguay. A rare entertaining CA match for this year.
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

Gigantico wrote:Good 1st half of Argentina-Uruguay. A rare entertaining CA match for this year.
Love watching Uruguay!

Tevez, what?
Cookie Head
Giant

Post by Cookie Head »

Adios Argentina! I hope City sells Tevez to Corinthians!
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

And Brazil chokes too!

Much like the US Women (Good for Japan, though).
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

Great finish from Uruguay!
QKocur
Giant

Post by QKocur »

The new season is nearly upon us! Anyone interested in a thegiant.org fantasy league?
Cookie Head
Giant

Post by Cookie Head »

QKocur wrote:The new season is nearly upon us! Anyone interested in a thegiant.org fantasy league?
If you form the league I'd be in, not sure how much interest there is around here.
QKocur
Giant

Post by QKocur »

I've formed the league at fantasy.premierleague.com

To join, create your squad and then use this passcode to sign up for the league: 1225789-298480

Anyone that loves football (soccer) but is slightly intimidated about fantasy football (soccer), rest assured it is very easy to create and maintain. I've spent a maximum of 10 minutes a week on it for the last few years.