OBEY THE EBAY POLICY (Flippers)

UPS got you down? eBay making you cry? Need to rant? Do it here.
oops
Punk

OBEY THE EBAY POLICY (Flippers)

Post by oops »

An anti-flipping manifesto from Shepard Fairey on his site here: http://www.obeygiant.com/store/help.php?section=policy
michaelm
Swindler

Post by michaelm »

that'd be pretty awesome if you were the guy who got that email from shepard fairey. anyone wanna fess up?
oops
Punk

Re: OBEY THE EBAY POLICY (Flippers)

Post by oops »

Yes, I am one of those flippers. And there were others...even other forum members (gasp!)

But do you believe the hype?

"There is a difference between a print collector who purchases a print, archives it for months, years even, then decides to barter or sell a piece with the invention of getting more cherished artwork THAN a "collector" who purchases a print then has it posted on Ebay before the print is actually received in hand or the moment they receive it the mail."

Is there really a difference? Really? From someone who "archives" it for "months"?

The people who archive their prints in a portfolio then sell years later are going to extract even more money from the secondary market assuming the prints gain even more value over time. Is that "fair" to someone who would have hung it up and never sold it?

I confess, I am a flipper.
oops
Punk

Post by oops »

A serious matter.

Shepard Fairey wrote: "I checked into your eBay record to make sure you were not banned unfairly"

I am going to ask eBay and PayPal about this, but how could someone, anyone, look into your personal information on eBay for personal (mis)use?
skoola
Giant

Post by skoola »

oops wrote:A serious matter.

Shepard Fairey wrote: "I checked into your eBay record to make sure you were not banned unfairly"

I am going to ask eBay and PayPal about this, but how could someone, anyone, look into your personal information on eBay for personal (mis)use?

i assume your feedback was checked for sale dates of flipped prints...anyone can do that
michaelm
Swindler

Post by michaelm »

out of curiosity, are you allowed to send prints back for a refund if you don't like how it looks in person? surely a reason, aside from a quick buck, that people sell something on is because they're not happy with how it looks when it arrives. it's a hazard of buying something based on a 400 pixel high jpg.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

User "oops" is now deactivated. Duplicate account.
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
Phởgg
Giant

Post by Phởgg »

i've archived prints for 10 years is it ok to flip them now?

this thing seems kind of silly to be honest
luckily for me i'm addicted to keeping shep's prints so no chance of being blacklisted

welp probably safer to jump on the bandwagon than be a rebel

burn the flippin' witches burrrrrnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn themmmmm :twisted:
http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=1999" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh10 ... ADCAST.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Phởgg
Giant

Post by Phởgg »

just read through that entire statement and if that's what the man says well then that's what the man says

respect
http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=1999" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh10 ... ADCAST.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
circa77
Giant

Re:

Post by circa77 »

admonkey wrote:User "oops" is now deactivated. Duplicate account.

what's his other account name?
Wanted: Obey prints on Postal Paper
noetic
Giant

Re: Re:

Post by noetic »

circa77 wrote:

I Rock The Mic Like It's My Last Chance To Breathe
Display A Level Of Skill You Could Only Hope To Achieve
password
Giant

Post by password »

Shepard Fairey could make his art more affordable to more people by having higher print runs. Sell 1,000 of each print and you'll see a dramatic decrease in flipping.
rhombus_77
Giant

Post by rhombus_77 »

circa77 wrote:

baxter
influence
Giant

Re:

Post by influence »

michaelm wrote:out of curiosity, are you allowed to send prints back for a refund if you don't like how it looks in person? surely a reason, aside from a quick buck, that people sell something on is because they're not happy with how it looks when it arrives. it's a hazard of buying something based on a 400 pixel high jpg.

Yeah, if they really thought this way then they would rid it for $35 BIN wouldn't they? :twisted:
hercylicious
Giant

Post by hercylicious »

influence wrote:
michaelm wrote:out of curiosity, are you allowed to send prints back for a refund if you don't like how it looks in person? surely a reason, aside from a quick buck, that people sell something on is because they're not happy with how it looks when it arrives. it's a hazard of buying something based on a 400 pixel high jpg.

Yeah, if they really thought this way then they would rid it for $35 BIN wouldn't they? :twisted:

35$ BIN , 165$ S&H :mrgreen:
jshea
Propaganda Engineer

Post by jshea »

oops wrote:Yes, I am one of those flippers. And there were others...even other forum members (gasp!)

But do you believe the hype?

"There is a difference between a print collector who purchases a print, archives it for months, years even, then decides to barter or sell a piece with the invention of getting more cherished artwork THAN a "collector" who purchases a print then has it posted on Ebay before the print is actually received in hand or the moment they receive it the mail."

Is there really a difference? Really? From someone who "archives" it for "months"?

Yes, there is a difference. The former parlays a piece of art into a different piece of art he/she likes better. The latter only seeks monetary profit. In the context of Shepard's statement, this is an obvious difference.

Either way ... I could give a crepe.
circa77
Giant

Post by circa77 »

rhombus_77 wrote:
circa77 wrote:

baxter

I thought BO was banished from the forum.
Wanted: Obey prints on Postal Paper
rhombus_77
Giant

Post by rhombus_77 »

circa77 wrote:
rhombus_77 wrote:
circa77 wrote:

baxter

j/k.
notudon
Giant

Post by notudon »

Wow, what a great policy and it does offer clarification. I am allowed to sell on Ebay or anywhere after the initial rush for the print has subsided. I remember the first time I saw a print value double for a print I had back in 2004 and that was 2 years after I purchased it. I never bought the prints to make money, that being said I do like the opportunity to resell older prints to invest in fine art editions from the gallery shows.
Check out my print collection. http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=1462" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or http://www.expressobeans.com/members/co ... p?id=12750" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nadajohn
Punk

Post by nadajohn »

The best way to stop flipping.....make more prints (if you don\'t want to raise prices). It would also help like if tonight the server actually worked all these years. I mean, there are a few people who don\'t actually want to sit in front of their computer F5-ing for 5 hours only to find the print won\'t drop and they have to come back again tomorrow. People would rather pay an extra buck so they don\'t have to suffer through hours of wasted time.

jshea wrote: Yes, there is a difference. The former parlays a piece of art into a different piece of art he/she likes better. The latter only seeks monetary profit.

Parlaying still involves selling at a profit to get something you couldn\'t otherwise afford. You\'re still making a profit by getting a more valuable piece of art. What if you flip right away to make money that you\'re going to spend on a more expensive piece of Obey art? What\'s the diff if it\'s one day or one month or one year if it\'s all going into a piece of Obey art?
thentherewasone
Giant

Re:

Post by thentherewasone »

nadajohn wrote:What\'s the diff if it\'s one day or one month or one year if it\'s all going into a piece of Obey art?

The issue is that a flipper isn't interested in keeping it for any period of time. They are speculators who could give a crepe about the art itself, just the money they can get from it. People like this have destroyed tons of collectible markets by speculating. The bottom will drop out of this market sooner or later and I hope some of these people lose their shirts. You don't have to look far to see examples of this baseball cards and comics in the early 90's are the first ones I can think of
saintjordan
Propaganda Engineer

Post by saintjordan »

thentherewasone wrote:
nadajohn wrote:What\'s the diff if it\'s one day or one month or one year if it\'s all going into a piece of Obey art?

The issue is that a flipper isn't interested in keeping it for any period of time. They are speculators who could give a crepe about the art itself, just the money they can get from it. People like this have destroyed tons of collectible markets by speculating. The bottom will drop out of this market sooner or later and I hope some of these people lose their shirts. You don't have to look far to see examples of this baseball cards and comics in the early 90's are the first ones I can think of

Well nobody will lose their shirts by investing in $35-50 larges pieces of paper. :?
Employ Cognitive Dissidence

"Why would solar power make him sick? Is he a republican?" -Michael J. Caboose
thentherewasone
Giant

Post by thentherewasone »

saintjordan wrote:Well nobody will lose their shirts by investing in $35-50 larges pieces of paper. :?

I was more talking about the folks speculating on more expensive pieces. All of it still effects the market for this sort of art
swellstylez
Posse

Post by swellstylez »

circa77 wrote:
rhombus_77 wrote:
circa77 wrote:

baxter

I liked that you called him "BO" :shock:
My Obey Collection: http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=538" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nadajohn
Punk

Post by nadajohn »

thentherewasone wrote:

But Shep says he doesn't mind if people 'archive' a print for a couple months then flip. To me buying then selling in a couple months is the same as buying and flipping before you had it. Either way there's no intention to hang it on the wall and keep it for several years. And either way the motive is profit: palaying/cash/moving up to a better piece, it benefits the buyer is some way. I don't care what anyeone does with their print. imo the policy goes too far by telling people what they can and can't do and when they can do it.