Ernesto Yerena

Other Artists? We got 'em right here.
TheOmethod
Ministry of Information

Ernesto Yerena

Post by TheOmethod »

This thread is to discuss the art of Ernesto Yerena. Ernesto has worked for Shepard for the past two years. He is a talented graphic artist, photographer and cuts one crazy stencil. Ernesto helped illustrate the "2007 Chuck D" print and shot the photo used in the " I Love Rock and Roll Collage". Ernesto continues to impress with unique graphics and is heavily influenced by the "Nortena" culture.

You can view his Flickr account here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/muskito/
Jason Filipow
JRF

Post by Jason Filipow »

Hi Ernie!!!
Jason Filipow
JRF

Post by Jason Filipow »

When I stopped by Modern Multiples to pick up one of my completed jobs, I was surprised and happy to see Ernie there busting out a small edition of his own.

Ernesto, custom mixing his own inks...and dig the 1:1 hand-cut ruby seps he made to burn the screens! No doubt a little nod to some of the processes he learned from Shepard...

Ready for that ink; Ernesto pulled most of the prints himself..

His color proof that shows the 'final' design...4 colors total, I think. Maybe 5...

Like I said, I was stoked to see Ernie and it was really cool that Duardo is helping a younger generation learn the craft. Final print size is 18" x 24" with an image area of about 11" x 17", edition of 50 I believe. I don't know if Ernesto is doing it as strictly a portfolio piece or if he's planning to sell a few....
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

That's real nice Ernesto! Is it going to be part of a set and/or available for purchase?
AemptyS
Punk

Post by AemptyS »

I wouldn't mind one of those!
Lost in the sauce
Johnster0228
Giant

Post by Johnster0228 »

Very cool!
skoola
Giant

Post by skoola »

wow, nice job ernesto!

i am really digging it
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Re:

Post by admonkey »

skoola wrote:wow, nice job ernesto!

i am really digging it
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
Ernesto
Swindler

Re: Ernesto Yerena

Post by Ernesto »

Thanks everyone for the support. i greatly appreciate it. here is a link to see that photo series bigger:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/muskito/24 ... 4/sizes/o/

So here is the lowdown.
This is my first print for release.
The print is roughly 18 by 24. it is a 5 color print. Edition of 50. 44 will be available for sale.
The screens where shot using hand cut amber liths.

The name of the piece is called "Mascara De Cultura" or in english "MASK of CULTURE"
I have always been obsessed with culture especially my own. and for about a year and half now I have been drawing these masks with mayan, incan, hindu influence.

As far as now I still do not have a website or not really hip to paypal which i will soon have to learn about in order to sell my prints. So I am going to casually release these prints as I work on a online store/site to sell my future prints (trust me there will be more). If any of you are interested in a print please feel free to messege me here or send me an email at ernie_yerena@yahoo.com to see how we could figure it out or atleast get dibbs until i get my STUFF together. thanks everyone.
Last edited by Ernesto on Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Ernesto wrote:As far as now I still do not have a website or not really hip to paypal which i will soon have to learn about in order to sell my prints. So I am going to casually release these prints as I work on a online store/site to sell my future prints (trust me there will be more). If any of you are interested in a print please feel free to messege me here or send me an email at ernie_yerena@yahoo.com to see how we could figure it out or atleast get dibbs until i get my STUFF together. thanks everyone.

The piece looks great (and congrats)!

You might want to check these guys out: http://bigcartel.com/
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
stinkypete
Giant

Post by stinkypete »

that's a great print ernesto
can't wait to see more
let us know when its available
"Have you anything to say. No? Then shut up. Lest you are a woman in
which case carry on - It's delightful."
Simon Munnery
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

Ernesto, I was wondering if you chose the colors you did for any particular reason? I agree that they're perfect with the design but didn't know if they had any special significance for you. Thanks.
Ernesto
Swindler

Re:

Post by Ernesto »

Gigantico wrote:Ernesto, I was wondering if you chose the colors you did for any particular reason? I agree that they're perfect with the design but didn't know if they had any special significance for you. Thanks.

The colors are colors derived from the mayan culture but where also greatly inspired by graffiti artist Retna. I had been hanging out with him for the past couple weeks and he inspired me to get into color because before then I have always been into 1 or 2 color designs because of working with shep and casue its economical and it helps my pieces look bold. Retna is into ALOT of color and one day he was using these types of color for whatever reason and when i saw them AZTEC/MAYAN influence came to my mind. Then when I started working on my piece the colors where dead on to what I was looking for.

DISCLAIMER:
As of now I feel that as an artist I am ready to start releasing art into the public because I feel thats the only way I am ever going progress in my art. I also feel that through the medium of art I could greatly express what is it that I exactly what to say. As I said before on this thread I am and have always been obsessed with culture especially my own (mexican). I am from the border town of EL CENTRO, CA so since Mexico was 10 minutes from my house I was there a good part of my life, but I am also American and I am greatly influenced by its hip hop culture, politics, and its get on the grind mentality. So throughout my work there will be political issues, iconic figures, and other things in this nature will have a prominent presence in my work. So what I am trying to say here is that this is the first phase of my solo work, and since I have so many different types of Influences that do not have anything to do with each other such as Los Tigres Del Norte (Mexican Norteño Group) and MF DOOM my pieces will start to look different from time to time depending on what inspired me at the time. Thanks.
http://www.hechoconganas.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Re: Re:

Post by Gigantico »

Ernesto wrote:
Gigantico wrote:Ernesto, I was wondering if you chose the colors you did for any particular reason? I agree that they're perfect with the design but didn't know if they had any special significance for you. Thanks.

The colors are colors derived from the mayan culture but where also greatly inspired by graffiti artist Retna. I had been hanging out with him for the past couple weeks and he inspired me to get into color because before then I have always been into 1 or 2 color designs because of working with shep and casue its economical and it helps my pieces look bold. Retna is into ALOT of color and one day he was using these types of color for whatever reason and when i saw them AZTEC/MAYAN influence came to my mind. Then when I started working on my piece the colors where dead on to what I was looking for.

Cool, the colors seem very natural for the subject. Looking forward to see what's coming up.
Johnster0228
Giant

Post by Johnster0228 »

Ernesto wrote:

DISCLAIMER:
As of now I feel that as an artist I am ready to start releasing art into the public because I feel thats the only way I am ever going progress in my art. I also feel that through the medium of art I could greatly express what is it that I exactly what to say. As I said before on this thread I am and have always been obsessed with culture especially my own (mexican). I am from the border town of EL CENTRO, CA so since Mexico was 10 minutes from my house I was there a good part of my life, but I am also American and I am greatly influenced by its hip hop culture, politics, and its get on the grind mentality. So throughout my work there will be political issues, iconic figures, and other things in this nature will have a prominent presence in my work. So what I am trying to say here is that this is the first phase of my solo work, and since I have so many different types of Influences that do not have anything to do with each other such as Los Tigres Del Norte (Mexican Norteño Group) and MF DOOM my pieces will start to look different from time to time depending on what inspired me at the time. Thanks.

Great introduction Ernesto! Hope to see some of your work for sale soon! BTW, how old are you? In some of the pics, you look young - pretty awesome opportunity to work with Shepard and starting your art career early! Good luck!
Ernesto
Swindler

Post by Ernesto »

Johnster0228 wrote:
Ernesto wrote:

DISCLAIMER:

Great introduction Ernesto! Hope to see some of your work for sale soon! BTW, how old are you? In some of the pics, you look young - pretty awesome opportunity to work with Shepard and starting your art career early! Good luck!

I am 21 years old and thanks for wishing me good luck. I started working for shep at 19 and now at 21 i really want to start to get my own thing together. and the print release is still in the works.

And this goes to anyone in the LA area if you are interested in a print feel free to message me if you want to meet up somewhere to buy a print, sure it may waste you some time in traffic but you could save the shipping cost. thanks
skoola
Giant

Post by skoola »

Ernesto wrote: Los Tigres Del Norte

that is awesome! i was just talking about these guys yesterday.

you've got some serious skills ernesto, keep it up and good luck :)
Ernesto
Swindler

Post by Ernesto »

skoola wrote:
Ernesto wrote: Los Tigres Del Norte

that is awesome! i was just talking about these guys yesterday.

you've got some serious skills ernesto, keep it up and good luck :)

Hah you know about those guys. Definitely my all time favorite band. I got to photograph them one time and hoping to be able to photograph them in two weeks when i go see them again in Mexicali, B.C., MX. They have a strong influence in my work. Hopefully today I will have time to photograph my portfolio so you could see some of my school/design work that has their influence in it.

check out this Tigres:

http://flickr.com/photos/muskito/sets/7 ... 054538097/

SORRY I PUT THIS UP HERE BUT I COULD SEND YOU A PRIVATE MESSAGE FOR SOME REASON.
bboygraphix
Giant

Post by bboygraphix »

awesome to see that youre on your own! now, instead of a print, how about that badass design on a t-shirt?! :)
"I don't know how to play chess, but life is a chess game for me." - MBW (haha!)
"When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn’t lifting himself up, he’s pushing the Earth down"
my design portfolio
online reef tank profiles and marine aquarium blogs
80's BMX bikes
Cookie Head
Giant

Post by Cookie Head »

I picked up one of Ernesto's prints and I'm very pleased. I'll post some photos later. Super nice guy too. Thanks Ernesto.
Cookie Head
Giant

Post by Cookie Head »

Finally got around to getting this done. It's a really nice print:

Ernesto
Swindler

Post by Ernesto »

Thanks cookie head.
And I still havnt got an website going and Ive been denied from paypal a couple times too so hopefully I will get that squared away..

I also wanted to let you guys know that a 5 color letterpress print of mine has just been released edition of 100.
I am in a group show called Los Angeles Loteria, unfortunately the opening is private (not my decision). But the prints are still available to the public online even before the show. The price is $300 which sounds expensive but the craft of the letterpress production is so meticulous, and each plate cost an arm and a leg, but again I did not choose the price, Aardvark letterpress made the price of each piece the same across the board. If you guys ever need high quality letterpress printing go with Aardvark letterpress they are true masters of their trade and also the real cool genuine guys. The print is of a Norteño Musician that I photographed in Boyle Heights.

Give it a gander and see what you think. Also look at all the other pieces from the series on the website and make sure to look out for Casey Ryder also a designer at Studio Number One.

link below:
http://aardvarkletterpressfinearteditio ... rteno.html
Ernesto
Swindler

Post by Ernesto »

Thanks cookie head.
And I still havnt got an website going and Ive been denied from paypal a couple times too so hopefully I will get that squared away..

I also wanted to let you guys know that a 5 color letterpress print of mine has just been released edition of 100.
I am in a group show called Los Angeles Loteria, unfortunately the opening is private (not my decision). But the prints are still available to the public online even before the show. The price is $300 which sounds expensive but the craft of the letterpress production is so meticulous, and each plate cost an arm and a leg, but again I did not choose the price, Aardvark letterpress made the price of each piece the same across the board. If you guys ever need high quality letterpress printing go with Aardvark letterpress they are true masters of their trade and also the real cool genuine guys. The print is of a Norteño Musician that I photographed in Boyle Heights.

Give it a gander and see what you think. Also look at all the other pieces from the series on the website and make sure to look out for Casey Ryder also a designer at Studio Number One.

link below:
http://aardvarkletterpressfinearteditio ... rteno.html
Cookie Head
Giant

Post by Cookie Head »

Nice work Ernesto. Looks like a really nice series. Here's Ernesto's print:

Why do I think Submit would dig this Richard Duardo print from the same series?

Last edited by Cookie Head on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
circa77
Giant

Post by circa77 »

could be a copyright infringement. jk :)
Wanted: Obey prints on Postal Paper