Tavar Zawacki ( ABOVE )

Other Artists? We got 'em right here.
battlered
Propaganda Engineer

ABOVE

Post by battlered »

I didn't find a thread on him but if there is moderators please merge. Thought this was pretty cool.

Easter AIG Hunt

video here http://vimeo.com/above
kingburdy
Obey Addict

Re: ABOVE

Post by kingburdy »

Pretty sweet stencil job!!! :mrgreen:
lepublicnme
Giant

Post by lepublicnme »

kingburdy wrote:Pretty sweet stencil job!!! :mrgreen:
:shock: :shock: are you sarcastic ?
this stencil job is pretty weak (idea, execution, video...)

he should have stayed with his arrow project !

XXXX
Last edited by lepublicnme on Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
lazk
Swindler

Post by lazk »

He tried to charge me $400 bucks for a print I just happened to see on Ebay. I missed out on the auction and e-mailed them. It sold for a little over $26 dollars and he tried to sell me one for $400. Craziness.
The Boy Wunder
Swindler

Post by The Boy Wunder »

People knock Aboves stuff, but personally I like his stencil work.
omegaiori
Posse

Post by omegaiori »

lepublicnme wrote:

XXXX
hey i like it a lot. lot of layers goin on! and with all the eggs goin "off the wall".. i think it's good
zanzi123
Giant

Post by zanzi123 »

omegaiori wrote:
lepublicnme wrote:

XXXX
hey i like it a lot. lot of layers goin on! and with all the eggs goin "off the wall".. i think it's good
stinkypete wrote:Just so I'm on record Zanzi if you really are a 300 pound 46 year old aircondition salesman with bad teeth and a hairy back we are all going to be seriously weirded out, maybe permanently....
Dizzyegg05 wrote:I only ever click this thread to re read pages 1 and 2. Jordan v Zanzi was epic :P
elixirone
Punk

Post by elixirone »

most of his stencils are weak!
PDC
Giant

Post by PDC »

Other than the complaints on the stencil work, it's kind of funny. Right?
I think that matters more.
slidingaround
Giant

Re:

Post by slidingaround »

PDC wrote:Other than the complaints on the stencil work, it's kind of funny. Right?
Totally agree, some stuff i see in the street makes me smile or think, or the placement is witty etc, does'nt mean i would want it on my wall at home though.
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Re: Re:

Post by Patillac13 »

slidingaround wrote:
PDC wrote:Other than the complaints on the stencil work, it's kind of funny. Right?
Totally agree, some stuff i see in the street makes me smile or think, or the placement is witty etc, does'nt mean i would want it on my wall at home though.
I think it's an awesome street piece, very relevant, I don't think the stencil work is weak at all, there's a lot going on there, that'd be a lot of work and it would take a long time. I dig it, for sure!
"everyone needs to chill or I'm stopping the internet." - submit

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shopping on Amazon? Use this link and help thegiant.org!
arrestedmotion
Punk

Post by arrestedmotion »

We posted up an in-depth interview with street artist ABOVE which you can read here.

kingburdy
Obey Addict

Post by kingburdy »

lepublicnme wrote:

XXXX
No I am not being sarcastic, I never claimed to be some professional art critic. Either I like what I see or not and state that. I don't do art and never got a art degree , so I try not to compare it to like a Banksy or other famous artist. Not every one can be C215 or Blek.

Never herd of this artist and thought the piece above( sorry no pun intended)was cool looking.

You seem to be a very critical person on this forum and I think you should get over your self..
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

kingburdy wrote:
lepublicnme wrote:

XXXX
No I am not being sarcastic, I never claimed to be some professional art critic. Either I like what I see or not and state that. I don't do art and never got a art degree , so I try not to compare it to like a Banksy or other famous artist. Not every one can be C215 or Blek.

Never herd of this artist and thought the piece above( sorry no pun intended)was cool looking.

You seem to be a very critical person on this forum and I think you should get over your self..
I would'nt take it personaly kingburdy, lepublicnme is french, although his english is good, you still have to remember the fact that if someone is foreign sometimes they can come across a bit blunt. I should know, my girlfriend is Brazilian.
Im sure it's not intentional. :wink:
dmggmd
Punk

Post by dmggmd »

New Union Jack print for sale on his site. http://goabove.com/main/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kingburdy
Obey Addict

Post by kingburdy »

slidingaround wrote:
kingburdy wrote:
lepublicnme wrote:

XXXX

I would'nt take it personaly kingburdy, lepublicnme is french, although his english is good, you still have to remember the fact that if someone is foreign sometimes they can come across a bit blunt. I should know, my girlfriend is Brazilian.
Im sure it's not intentional. :wink:
I'll take that in to consideration next time, I kinda thought about that but he is very blunt a lot which makes me think its intentional. Thanks anyway, after I wrote that I thought I was kinda harsh as well. :lol:
lepublicnme
Giant

Post by lepublicnme »

kingburdy wrote:
lepublicnme wrote:

XXXX

you think I'm very critical, fine, I AM !
Criticism is life, or you'll just be a sheep !
IMO, I post on several boards to discuss and share opinions, i think that's what a web forum is opened for, maybe you would prefer a forum where you can only read statements as :
- That's great !
- yeah cool !
- awesome !
- I like it !
- he (<- insert an artist name, you choose) is god !
sorry not me... I have better thing to do instead of reading this kind of ineptitudes.

I would say that, because you are mentioning them, Blek and Banksy works are weak, technically (garbage-like stencils cuts), which doesn't mean their works aren't good, artistically, Banksy is a genius for placement, resonance between stencil, subject and location. I wouldn't speak about Blek (I don't like his repetitive, none renewing works). I do appreciate C215 works, artistically and technically, but I am not telling he is the best, #1... art is not sports !
You don't have to be an art critic to develop, elaborate your own thoughts about art and artists.

Thanks Slindingaroud for the short language reminder... and my bad for not being absolutely bilingual, trust me I really would like to be !

Kingburdy, si tu le souhaites nous pouvons sans soucis, échanger nos points de vue et discuter de tout cela en français, cela me permettra de faire preuve de plus de nuances dans mes propos, en espérant tout de même que tu ne perdras pas cette finesse linguistique en utilisant à ton tour une langue étrangère...

XXXX
lepublicnme
Giant

Post by lepublicnme »

kingburdy wrote:I'll take that in to consideration next time, I kinda thought about that but he is very blunt a lot which makes me think its intentional. Thanks anyway, after I wrote that I thought I was kinda harsh as well. :lol:
Pas de problème !
:wink: :wink:

XXXX
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

lepublicnme wrote:Thanks Slindingaroud for the short language reminder... and my bad for not being absolutely bilingual, trust me I really would like to be !

XXXX
Just to be sure here, i was being nice and your english is very good. I was just saying sometimes even if someone (foreign) who's english is very good, sometimes they come across harsh or blunt when they dont actually mean to. :wink:
kingburdy
Obey Addict

Post by kingburdy »

slidingaround wrote:
lepublicnme wrote:Thanks Slindingaroud for the short language reminder... and my bad for not being absolutely bilingual, trust me I really would like to be !

XXXX
Just to be sure here, i was being nice and your english is very good. I was just saying sometimes even if someone (foreign) who's english is very good, sometimes they come across harsh or blunt when they dont actually mean to. :wink:
My first thought was correct, sorry you got sucked in to this Slidingaround. This guys hilarious and way to serious..

sorry for the banter everyone..
lepublicnme
Giant

Post by lepublicnme »

kingburdy wrote:My first thought was correct, sorry you got sucked in to this Slidingaround. This guys hilarious and way to serious...
wait a minute... Am I hilarious or way to serious ? kinda opposite no ?
Have a nice day bummer !!

XXXX
kingburdy
Obey Addict

Post by kingburdy »

lepublicnme wrote:
kingburdy wrote:My first thought was correct, sorry you got sucked in to this Slidingaround. This guys hilarious and way to serious...
wait a minute... Am I hilarious or way to serious ? kinda opposite no ?
Have a nice day bummer !!

XXXX
The fact that you come across so serious in your post is hilarious(funny) to me. Sorry if I didn't put state that correctly.

You also have a nice day. I don't get the bummer part?
karengolden1
Punk

ABOVE: First love (release preview)

Post by karengolden1 »

We wanted to show you a few preview photos of the FIRST LOVE print. Larger photos are seen here http://goabove.com/main/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Above once again hand pulled and designed every part of this print. We will be releasing this print before the end of this year. PM me or send an email to karengolden1@gmail.com and I will add you to our mailing list so you can be informed in advance. Thank you and enjoy the print.
-Karen.

PRINT NAME: “FIRST LOVE”
EDITION SIZE: 60 NORMAL EDITION, + 11 SPECIAL ARROW EDITION PROOF + 10 VERY SPECIAL HAND FINISH “ARROW” EDITION!
EXTRA FEATURES: EACH PRINT IS CUSTOM EMBOSSED. SIGNED, DATED, AND NUMBERED BY ABOVE. **EACH PRINT COMES WITH AN INDIVIDUALLY NUMBERED+EMBOSSED C.O.A. (CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY)
PAPER SIZE/COLORS: “FULL SHEET” = 22 X 30 INCHES (55cm. X 76cm.) PRINTED ON ARCHIVAL LENNOX-100 250 GSM PAPER. +12 colors/layers make up this beautiful first love print.

FULL IMAGE

GIRL CLOSE

BOY CLOSE
karengolden1
Punk

Post by karengolden1 »

Even thought the print was sold out in less than 36 hours we thought it was fitting for this GIANT forum

RELEASE DATE: October 28th, 2009

PRINT NAME: “ABOVE NEW YORK CITY”

EXTRA FEATURES: EACH PRINT IS SIGNED BY ABOVE, CUSTOM EMBOSSED, DATED AND NUMBERED. **EACH PRINT COMES WITH AN INDIVIDUALLY NUMBERED+EMBOSSED C.O.A. (CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY)

EDITION SIZE: EDITION 25, EACH HAND FINISHED AND WATER COLORED PERSONALLY BY ABOVE !

HERE IS A DIRECT LINK TO THE PRINTS AND MORE INFO>>>http://goabove.com/main/?p=473

ABOVE NYC

OBEY CAMEO.
karengolden1
Punk

Post by karengolden1 »

Hey everyone, I'm new to this particular forum and am a close personal friend with Mr. Above. Since my job is based in marketing and work with Above on his print releases and shipments and I will periodically be posting news of his hand pulled print releases. I just familiarized myself with the previous comments on this particular thread about his stencils and arrows. It seems that since this thread was started earlier this year that Above's stencils were still new to a lot of people here? Since the last post Above has made some very clever site specific stencil pieces around Europe and California. I must suggest if you have not familiarized yourself with his creative stencil works that you should take a look here again. http://goabove.com/CUT_IT_OUT.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Above's stencils IMO are very clever with the space/location, have a meaning or statement and almost always incorporate a physical 3-D installation element that makes his works stand out and unique. Take a look at his website, these photos are taken from there but read the dialog and Above's thought process behind his works.

BEFORE

AFTER: Copenhagen Denmark 2009.

California, USA 2009 (Valentines day)

Before
After. (giving to the poor/ he also made a print of this and donated 100% profits to 2 homeless shelters)

New years 2009

Berlin wall stencil 2009

PARIS 2009

Paris 2009