SWOON

Other Artists? We got 'em right here.
easycraig
Giant

Re: SWOON

Post by easycraig »

very nice.... ^^^ i purposely did not go to the website this morning so i would not be tempted.... lol...

i did go later and there were still some nice pieces left..... probably would have bought one but i did buy a new

camera this week (for my xmas gift) so the buying freeze is still on!!! happy holidays everyone! ec :D
A New Hot Girl Joins the Giant.org every minute!
mr Revs
Giant

Post by mr Revs »

They all looked so nice. Loved #2! (the one from the Faile email blast)
Check out my T-shirt quilts
jak88
Giant

Post by jak88 »

And all sold out
lepublicnme
Giant

Post by lepublicnme »

Swoon currently has a gallery show running in Paris at Galerie LJ
from November 30th 2013 thru January 11th 2014
http://www.galerielj.com/

here are a few images from the show and from the streets, all images (c) lepublicnme

XXXX
saL
Giant

Post by saL »

ArrestedMotion.com just shared some photos of the Swoon's current solo show @ Galerie LJ in Paris (by yours truly)..
Check out my Wall of Stache Fame collection!
saL
Giant

Post by saL »

nice little interview about Swoon's Motherlands show in Paris:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x181ck ... s_creation
saL
Giant

Post by saL »

VNA magazine published a nice report from Swoon's "Submerged Motherlands" show @ Brooklyn Museum..
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

"Getting excited for the release of this print tomorrow! It's a limited edition of 65, 8 color silk screen on hand made paper, and all funds will go to the continuation of our work in Braddock, PA. $1,250, dropping tomorrow on swooninprint.com at noon EST."

saL
Giant

Post by saL »

here is the full image of Swoon's new print releasing @ SwoonInPrint.com on 22nd of April @ 12PM EST (check out what time that is in your time zone):

This richly textured 8 color silk screen print depicts life and work in the American Steel town of North Braddock, PA, as community members work to create alternatives after the collapse of the steel industry. All funds from the sale of the print will go toward Swoon's continuing work to turn an abandoned church into an arts based learning center.

SwoonInPrint.com
voice1
Swindler

Post by voice1 »

$1250!?

:shock:
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

Sorry, IMO that's a rip.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

submethod wrote:Sorry, IMO that's a rip.
Not really. It's a big print, low edition, and she hand paints them.

conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

spagucci1 wrote:

you are assuming that "she" = swoon… there's nothing in that photo that tells me that person painting them is actually swoon. it's also an 8 color screen print which doesn't leave many colored areas left to be painted by hand.
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

conartstudio wrote:
spagucci1 wrote:

you are assuming that "she" = swoon… there's nothing in that photo that tells me that person painting them is actually swoon. it's also an 8 color screen print which doesn't leave many colored areas left to be painted by hand.
I can see that she hand retouch the prints. But, there are artists who also do pretty nice sized prints hand retouched and ask a lot less. For instance, the How & Nosm print "Storm Predictions" from Paper Monster was a run of 300 all hand retouched with different mediums. The cost was $300.
saL
Giant

Post by saL »

Swoon's Konbit Shelter and Guilds are having a benefit, celebration, and progress report about their projects in Haiti from 2010 until now.:
(more info via ArrestedMotion.com)
hundreddollarhorse
Propaganda Engineer

Post by hundreddollarhorse »

submethod wrote:
conartstudio wrote:
spagucci1 wrote:

I can see that she hand retouch the prints. But, there are artists who also do pretty nice sized prints hand retouched and ask a lot less. For instance, the How & Nosm print "Storm Predictions" from Paper Monster was a run of 300 all hand retouched with different mediums. The cost was $300.
Yeah, swoon is nothing if not money hungry. :lol:
saL
Giant

Post by saL »

submethod wrote:
conartstudio wrote:
spagucci1 wrote:

As a fan of How Nosm I can say that comparing them to Swoon just doesn't work. She has been around for way longer, has a massive legacy both on streets and galleries, and started doing museum shows. It's like comparing ticket to a Rolling Stones or any-great-new-band. Just can't be done.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

saL wrote:
submethod wrote:
conartstudio wrote:
spagucci1 wrote:

As a fan of How Nosm I can say that comparing them to Swoon just doesn't work. She has been around for way longer, has a massive legacy both on streets and galleries, and started doing museum shows. It's like comparing ticket to a Rolling Stones or any-great-new-band. Just can't be done.
at the same time, comparing swoon to the rolling stones is a bit silly because technically, swoon still belongs in the "new-bands" (or newishish bands) category… if you're going to compare swoon in terms of bands then i'd say she's more like pearl jam and an artist like Rauschenberg (rip) is more like the rolling stones.

regardless, sub method's point/opinion of them being a rip off holds some truth. just because she's been around longer or has done some museum show's doesn't justify the pricing of this print and clearly other's feel the same about the price point because they are still for sale.
Revolution
Swindler

Post by Revolution »

conartstudio wrote:
saL wrote:
submethod wrote:
conartstudio wrote:
spagucci1 wrote:

at the same time, comparing swoon to the rolling stones is a bit silly because technically, swoon still belongs in the "new-bands" (or newishish bands) category… if you're going to compare swoon in terms of bands then i'd say she's more like pearl jam and an artist like Rauschenberg (rip) is more like the rolling stones.

regardless, sub method's point/opinion of them being a rip off holds some truth. just because she's been around longer or has done some museum show's doesn't justify the pricing of this print and clearly other's feel the same about the price point because they are still for sale.
How the f can you then justify a 5k litho from os? The reasoning in this day & age cracks me up!
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

the how & nosm on paper monster was a steal :D

i hope we do but i don't think we'll see another release like that from them.

but back to the swoon = this swoon is amazing in person i'm sure. and if it were for sale at $500 face, what do you think the aftermarket would look like? seems reasonable enough to think that there would be some sales at the $1k mark. makes sense for swoon IMHO to not have an instant sell out and take the higher price for each sale she does make rather than leaving room for a secondary market on this one. her prints are few and far between and i don't recall having seen one quite this intricate
on point like a decimalist?
sabeth
Giant

Post by sabeth »

if you like your art to be priced by the square foot you should buy it from ikea and not from swoon or any other reputable artist.
Instagram: @carnagenyc
Carnage NYC
saL
Giant

Post by saL »

The very first Braddock Tiles print is available again until Aug 15th HERE..
saL
Giant

Post by saL »

PaperMOnster.com announced beautiful "Dawn and Gemma" by Swoon to be released Tuesday December 9th, 2014 around 12noon EST:
Limited Edition of 300
Dimensions: 32 x 32 Inches.
3 Color Screenprint, on hand stained 310gsm Coventry Rag (Deckle Edge).
Signed and Numbered, Swoon 2014
$325
sabeth
Giant

Post by sabeth »

Braddock Tiles has another print available. Don't know how long it's been up; I just noticed it. Nice image!

Instagram: @carnagenyc
Carnage NYC
danklax5
Giant

Post by danklax5 »

It was released on December 12th of last year.

Beautiful print.

+1
"I make my own luck."