How is VAT calculated? Declared Insurance? Different Form?

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
submethod
Giant

How is VAT calculated? Declared Insurance? Different Form?

Post by submethod »

Gang,

I got a few pieces I need to ship to France.

And I am considering purchasing insurance for a piece worth $2500. I know USPS will insure up to $2400 to Paris. So if I insure, which would run around $35 bucks, would does customs use to figure out the value of shipment?

Does customs look at the declared insurance value to charge VAT or is it separate? The VAT would be around 133 Euros if i declare $2400 value.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated. :shock: Thanks!
Ilja
Propaganda Engineer

Re: How is VAT calculated? Declared Insurance? Different For

Post by Ilja »

Don't know if it's to late.
And can't say about France.

But in Denmark the customs will hold back my tube, then contact me and ask for documentation on the purchase value and shipping. And then calculate my VAT and custom based on that. If I'm unlucky they will even open my tube and unroll the print - durn morons.
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

Ilja wrote:Don't know if it's to late.

But in Denmark the customs will hold back my tube, then contact me and ask for documentation on the purchase value and shipping. And then calculate my VAT and custom based on that. If I'm unlucky they will even open my tube and unroll the print - durn morons.
What if it's shipped first class and marked as a gift at original print price $20-$45?
on point like a decimalist?
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

whyhoo wrote:
Ilja wrote:Don't know if it's to late.

What if it's shipped first class and marked as a gift at original print price $20-$45?
I checked with USPS. if you says its a gift and you insure with USPS for $2400 bucks. VAT will be for 2400 bucks.
It appears customs DOES price match to the insurance claimed.
Ilja
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Ilja »

I have had a few posters that was labeled as a gift and with low value - like $45 - and at the same time being insured for a high amount - like $600 - that reached me without getting picked up by the custom services.
But I think they are getting better about controlling stuff now. So where they would just let the package go through to me back in the days, they now contain it for more information.
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

-I have always given the buyer the option.... I can say its a gift with a low value ( $50-75 ) ( shipped signed banksy's this way) or I can mark and declare ( let them pay vat and extra insurance ) - bottom line, if its packed right and needs a signature, you should be fine. ec
A New Hot Girl Joins the Giant.org every minute!