registration process

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
chuckkeppler
Swindler

registration process

Post by chuckkeppler »

Hey, wondering if a mod could help out. someone contacted me about selling some 90s era prints (bomber and vicious subversion), and I suggested this forum. he tried to register, but he hasn't received a confirmation email yet. is there a timeframe that this process usually takes?

thanks!
bigfuntimeuse
Punk

Re: registration process

Post by bigfuntimeuse »

Best person to ask would be Noverflow

http://forum.thegiant.org/memberlist.ph ... rofile&u=2
chuckkeppler
Swindler

Post by chuckkeppler »

Thanks!
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

Try reaching out to Adam and Mary on facebook. The site itself isn’t being maintained anymore and the problem is, the software running this forum hasn’t been updated in ages and if it’s not updated soon, it could all stop working. A SLL very needs to be installed on the site.
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

conartstudio wrote:Try reaching out to Adam and Mary on facebook. The site itself isn’t being maintained anymore and the problem is, the software running this forum hasn’t been updated in ages and if it’s not updated soon, it could all stop working. A SLL very needs to be installed on the site.
Wait, so no one is running the site? How is it maintained? How is it paid for? I do remember when they said they would be leaving.
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

Maybe it is time to move this along to someone who knows what they are doing.
vvk
Giant

Post by vvk »

well if it comes to a vote. dont votes for me, not only can I not spell, but i cant use spell or grammer check.
garbage , i barely can tye my shoes.

durn, where is that old obey 404 (web error image) when we need it
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

Says last new user joined in August. Maybe it's broken. For the record, the page doesn't display very well in multiple browsers for me.
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

Well, someone is funding the hosting.And maintenance for data has to be happening on the back end.
So that begs the question, are we on automatic pilot?

Moderators? What's the word?

To be honest, I see that participation on thegiant.org is very low. A lot of traffic is on UAA now.
jak88
Giant

Post by jak88 »

submethod wrote:Well, someone is funding the hosting.And maintenance for data has to be happening on the back end.

To be honest, I see that participation on thegiant.org is very low. A lot of traffic is on UAA now.
UAA?
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

jak88 wrote:
submethod wrote:Well, someone is funding the hosting.And maintenance for data has to be happening on the back end.

UAA?
urbanartassociation.com
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

submethod wrote:
conartstudio wrote:Try reaching out to Adam and Mary on facebook. The site itself isn’t being maintained anymore and the problem is, the software running this forum hasn’t been updated in ages and if it’s not updated soon, it could all stop working. A SLL very needs to be installed on the site.
Wait, so no one is running the site? How is it maintained? How is it paid for? I do remember when they said they would be leaving.
I doubt anyone is “maintaining” the site. I assume it’s being hosted on an account owned by Adam and Mary, could be sitting on a server they are using for other things. Since the traffic is definitely less than what it used to be, so hosting fees are minimal. Problem is, if it’s not updated at some point then it will be too late to update and all will be gone. If people can’t register then things are already breaking.
vvk
Giant

Post by vvk »

so now begs the question.
Is someone gonna step up and try and offer to take control of it so it can live on.
or do we all move to a facebook group?

I for one do not have the techinical knowhow to run a electric lawnmover let alone a server.
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

I am one level above you. Plug lawnmower in when not mowing...unplug when you want to mow
vvk
Giant

Post by vvk »

jjttdw wrote:I am one level above you. Plug lawnmower in when not mowing...unplug when you want to mow
Oh crepe.. I didnt even realize mine had a plug. that could be my problem(or one of my many problems. got to go home and check. Yeah, been working this whole time . I will miss quarantine when its over.
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

I think the issue here is also profitability. Yes, it is a .org but still someone has to pay to keep the lights on. Hosting and domain services cost some bucks.
The site itself doesn't make any money. So it is a loss leader for sure.
Cookie Head
Giant

Post by Cookie Head »

submethod wrote:I think the issue here is also profitability. Yes, it is a .org but still someone has to pay to keep the lights on. Hosting and domain services cost some bucks.
The site itself doesn't make any money. So it is a loss leader for sure.
I believe after the last fundraiser Adam said the lights would be on for quite awhile.
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

I'd love it if the site had price history and sales functionality.....#wishlist
vvk
Giant

Post by vvk »

well for what its worth. I would be willing to donate 1 or 2 prints for sale with all proceeds going to the update and continuing of the site. I would be even hapy to do some sort of fund raiser.
maybe someone who knows how to contact adam and mary can reach out to about taking it over and upgrading.

im not sure what this all entails and what cost are involved, maybe someone with the know how can give us some quick non binding estimates?
hoping this can work out.
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

vvk wrote:well for what its worth. I would be willing to donate 1 or 2 prints for sale with all proceeds going to the update and continuing of the site. I would be even hapy to do some sort of fund raiser.
maybe someone who knows how to contact adam and mary can reach out to about taking it over and upgrading.

im not sure what this all entails and what cost are involved, maybe someone with the know how can give us some quick non binding estimates?
hoping this can work out.
I work in the tech field. I also know a few of us on here do to. We would have to see how much hosting costs for the amount of traffic the site gets. I think none of our talk matters unless they are looking to sell?

Raising funds is always a good thing.
zanzi123
Giant

Post by zanzi123 »

I'd donate too! let's do it!
stinkypete wrote:Just so I'm on record Zanzi if you really are a 300 pound 46 year old aircondition salesman with bad teeth and a hairy back we are all going to be seriously weirded out, maybe permanently....
Dizzyegg05 wrote:I only ever click this thread to re read pages 1 and 2. Jordan v Zanzi was epic :P
SHT!
Giant

Post by SHT! »

^^^Blast from the past! ^^^
SHT! Store
http://www.SHTexclamation.com
SHT! Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/SHTexclamation
SHT! Email
imakeSHT@gmail.com
SHT! Instagram
@SHTexclamation
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

I'd donate.
noverflow
I think I started this

Post by noverflow »

WOW!
Sorry guys!

Yeah - Truth is Mary and I have moved on in a way. I started the site 15 years ago when I was in school and life/other projects got in the way.

I do pay about $60/mo for hosting the site. Yes, it is a TON more than it needs to be, but I like having control of the server when needed (AKA never).

Truth is that I got a great job and don't mind that I "lose" money on it as long as it stays online.

I am totally up for someone taking it over with some caveats.
I maintain the ownership from a legal point of view so I know it will not be taken offline or made into something else.
No Ads - Maybe if it is for galleries that we support. But it should be to help artists not make money
I'll continue paying all the bills on it to make sure the lights stay on

email me (NO PMs!) if you are interested (email address is here: http://adam-meyer.com/resume.pdf)
I really hate PMs. Please just email me.