Obey Burrard Mandala?

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
jettad
Punk

Obey Burrard Mandala?

Post by jettad »

Happy New Year to you all.

So I've just been given this print after it was stored in a closet for 9 months by the original owner. He was given it by the real estate agent who sold him his apartment.

Does anyone have any more info?

I could not find much about it at all, and assuming it is called 'Obey Burrard Mandala' from the EB database. I tried searching the print on the wiki but found nothing. The framing was atrocious and it appears to be glued/taped onto the backboard. I don't want to risk taking it off, maybe a trip to the local paper restorer is in my future.

Thanks

bsharp
Posse

Re: Obey Burrard Mandala?

Post by bsharp »

Print info:

It's indeed called "Obey Burrard Mandala". There is also a silkscreen on wood edition of 6 with this name. This print was commissioned by Burrard Properties, a Canadian real estate company. They're the ones who own the gallery Shep's 30th anniversary exhibition was at in Vancouver. The owner is an art collector and commissioned Shep to make them for people who buy their condos, presumably after they developed a relationship after the show.

These prints are hard to find because they're gifted to people who aren't art collectors, and who don't know its value or how to sell art. Only a couple have shown up on eBay, and most were APs that weren't acquired via buying a property.

Framing removal tips:
I don't know if they were all framed the same way, so I can only describe how mine came. The frame itself is actually pretty good quality. It's a solid wood Larson Juhl frame made in Italy. The mat was cotton and had a nice texture to it. I didn't like that it was framed with non-museum glass, or that it used spots of adhesive along the top back of the print. It was floated nicely but touched the glass directly.

I sent it to Poster Mountain (shipped flat, attached to the mat) and had them remove it. They did a great job and all said and done it was about $125.

Assuming you're in Seattle -- there weren't any great places around I could find to do the work. Poster Mountain has experience with this type of stuff and were super helpful.
jettad
Punk

Post by jettad »

bsharp wrote:Print info:

It's indeed called "Obey Burrard Mandala". There is also a silkscreen on wood edition of 6 with this name. This print was commissioned by Burrard Properties, a Canadian real estate company. They're the ones who own the gallery Shep's 30th anniversary exhibition was at in Vancouver. The owner is an art collector and commissioned Shep to make them for people who buy their condos, presumably after they developed a relationship after the show.

These prints are hard to find because they're gifted to people who aren't art collectors, and who don't know its value or how to sell art. Only a couple have shown up on eBay, and most were APs that weren't acquired via buying a property.

Framing removal tips:
I don't know if they were all framed the same way, so I can only describe how mine came. The frame itself is actually pretty good quality. It's a solid wood Larson Juhl frame made in Italy. The mat was cotton and had a nice texture to it. I didn't like that it was framed with non-museum glass, or that it used spots of adhesive along the top back of the print. It was floated nicely but touched the glass directly.

I sent it to Poster Mountain (shipped flat, attached to the mat) and had them remove it. They did a great job and all said and done it was about $125.

Assuming you're in Seattle -- there weren't any great places around I could find to do the work. Poster Mountain has experience with this type of stuff and were super helpful.
Thanks for that! Very good info. Mine was framed the same way as you described, and yes, am in Seattle. I'll send Poster Mountain an email shortly, I'm in no rush.
Ilja
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Ilja »

Yeah, thanks for info Bsharp.

I picked an AP up from eBay last year. It's really a lovely print and sits well with other blue coloured prints from Shep.