John Grayson - con[art] studio

Artist-members sharing their work.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Re: Limited Shelf Life - a solo exhibition of works by John

Post by conartstudio »

vvk wrote:
Two color screen print on 12"x12" on hand painted and emulsion transfer collaged wood panel - signed on the back.

What is this "emulsion" I keep reading about in reference to art making? Is it hipster code for paint?
it's also referred to as Xerox or laser transfer. There are a few methods, one is using something like an gel acrylic medium, in multiple layers over the image, then rubbing away the paper leaving the image on the acrylic medium. I prefer using acetone to transfer the image onto the paper I'm using to collage with or directly onto the piece. You basically take a laser print out, or photocopy, place it face down onto the object/paper you want to transfer it to and the brush on acetone on the back and use something like a spoon to rub and transfer the image. The acetone is basically melting the toner and you are rubbing it from the original paper to something else. Only problem with using acetone is that you need to fumigate the room you're working in. I like the end results I can get with using the acetone method over using a gel acrylic medium

Here's some info on it:
http://margaretcraig.com/2011/11/xerox- ... the-press/
http://m.instructables.com/id/Solvent-Transfers/

Here's a video of the acetone process:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KQBliC3vJt8
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Re: John Grayson - con[art] studio

Post by conartstudio »

Due to the impending doom that is Winter Storm Jonas, the opening reception for my show at Sub-Urban Vinyl Toys and Art has been moved to the following Saturday night, January 30th from 6-9pm....

I hope everyone who was planning on coming this weekend will be able to make it out next week. The weathermen apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks and I hope to see you at the show!

PS. D A M N YOU JONAS!

PPS. hey weather channel, can you please stop naming winter storms.

Last edited by conartstudio on Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shaneray
Swindler

Post by shaneray »

Congrats John, Killer stuff from a very talented artist / member.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

shaneray wrote:Congrats John, Killer stuff from a very talented artist / member.
thanks shane. i spent many many months working on this show so it's a bit of a bummer to have the opening snowed out but at least it's only postponed and not cancelled, just have to wait one more week.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

Limited Shelf Life - a solo exhibition of works by John Grayson

Tomorrow night, Saturday, January 30th (1.30.2016), will be the opening of my first solo art show, titled "Limited Shelf Life," at Sub-Urban Vinyl Toys and Art in Waldwick, NJ. I spent many many months working on this show and have created 25 new pieces for your viewing pleasure. If you're in the area tomorrow night, I'd be honored if you could join me that night and enjoy some art.

Please drop me a PM if you would like me to send you a PDF preview of the show.

The work will also be posted up tomorrow sometime during the day on www.limitedshelflife.com

THANK YOU to everyone who has supported, and continues to support, my work, i am forever grateful.
SHT!
Giant

Post by SHT! »

some pieces are still available!
check em out, people!

http://www.suburbanvinyl.com/limited-shelf-life
SHT! Store
http://www.SHTexclamation.com
SHT! Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/SHTexclamation
SHT! Email
imakeSHT@gmail.com
SHT! Instagram
@SHTexclamation
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

SHT! wrote:some pieces are still available!
check em out, people!

http://www.suburbanvinyl.com/limited-shelf-life
thanks SHT!

i believe your piece will be shipping out over the next few days. since the show got delayed a week and with another show coming in a few weeks, we opted to do a cash and carry instead of waiting to the end of the show to ship the pieces out.

i had a few people tell me they wanted the piece you picked up. thanks again and enjoy!
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

A HUGE thank you to everyone who came out to the opening this past saturday night and to everyone who picked up a piece. All of your love made it a very special night for me. Extra thanks goes to the guys from Sub-Urban Vinyl Toys and Art and my beautiful wife - the show would not have happened without any of you.

to see all the pieces in the show, make sure to visit
www.limitedshelflife.com

----

Earthday

One color screen printed acrylic plexiglass mounted on top of a hand painted and collaged 12″x12″ wood panel – signed on the back.

hexterb
Propaganda Engineer

Post by hexterb »

If y'all haven't picked one of these up yet, you better. It's killer in person.

conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

hexterb wrote:If y'all haven't picked one of these up yet, you better. It's killer in person.
Thanks Hexter!
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Screen Test (NYCC edition)

Post by conartstudio »

I finally had time to add the remaining Screen Test NYCC Edition prints to my site and they're up now for anyone interested. it was a last minute decision to print these up special for last years NYCC and and these are what's remaining of the edition. The prints are physically smaller at 11x14" than the original edition, which was 18x18," and the image itself is a bit smaller than the storm monroe on the original edition. This is the last time it will be printed on paper so this is your last chance to get a print of it if you're looking for one. I also have t-shirts of this image that i've printed up that will be added to my site at some point in the future - drop me a PM if you're interested in one:
  • title: screen test (nycc edition)
  • medium: 3 color hand pulled screenprint
  • size: 11″ x 14″
  • paper: white 250gsm rives bfk (acid-free, 100% cotton)
  • color: light grey
  • edition: 50
  • price: $20 each
11"x14" 3 color hand pulled screen print on white 250gsm rives bfk paper (acid-free, 100% cotton) with both natural and hand torn deckled edges. Signed, numbered, dated and embossed. Edition of 50

available here: http://www.con-art.com/product/screen-test-nycc-edition/

danklax5
Giant

Post by danklax5 »

+1
"I make my own luck."
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

just wanted to share this collaboration I did with my 6 year old son for my solo exhibition last month. he wanted to have some art in the show so we did this piece together and he also did a few drawings to hang.

----

Childhood

One color screen printed acrylic plexiglass mounted on top of a one color screen printed, hand painted, hand colored and emulsion transfer collaged 12"x12" wood panel.

conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

MAY THE 4TH INSTAGRAM CONTEST

Post by conartstudio »

MAY THE 4TH INSTAGRAM CONTEST

Win your very own 8″ x 8″ Troopin Sane Print on Wood!
These prints are from the original NYCC exclusive edition of 25 and were printed on 1/2″ thick sustainable birchwood printed by Prints on Wood. The lucky winner will get to choose from one of two colors, mustard or olive, and will also receive a sticker pack.

The rules are simple:
1) follow @conartstudio on instagram
2) like my post on instagram
3) repost this image on instagram

4) tag @conartstudio in the image

5) include the hashtag #conartcontest

The contest will end on May 4th at 10pm EST. The winner will be chosen at random, posted on my account and contacted through direct message. If you don't know how to repost, visit www.con-art.com/contest to download the image.

Thanks and MAY THE 4TH BE WITH YOU!

REPOST THIS IMAGE ON INSTAGRAM

conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

May The 4th Prints on Wood SALE!

Post by conartstudio »

May The 4th Prints on Wood SALE!

The remaining NYCC exclusive Troopin Sane prints on wood will be available on my site, www.con-art.com, starting TODAY, May 4th @ noon EST, at a special Star Wars Day discounted price which will only last for 24 hours.

Each fine art wood print is a hand signed and numbered on 1/2" sustainable birch with bright white finish, includes stickers, a desktop stand and comes ready to hang... and don't forget to follow @conartstudio on instagram to see how to enter and WIN this Print on Wood!

colors available: mustard and olive
size: 8" x 8"
edition: 25

BUY: http://www.con-art.com/shop

Thanks and MAY THE 4TH BE WITH YOU!

submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

Effin suh-weet my man!!!!!
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Time for another CONTEST - four prizes and 4 winners

Post by conartstudio »

Time for another CONTEST - four prizes and 4 winners

UP FOR GRABS The rules are simple:
1) Follow me, @conartstudio, on instagram & like this image
2) Then repost this image on instagram, tag @conartstudio in the image & include the hashtag #conartgiveaway

The contest will end on Tuesday, May 10th at 10pm EST. The winners will be chosen at random, posted on my account and contacted through direct message. If you don't know how to repost, visit www.con-art.com/contest to download the image.

Both the prints and sticker packs are also available to purchase, more info here: http://www.con-art.com/shop

Thanks for looking!

REPOST THIS IMAGE ON INSTAGRAM

conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

Here are two new pieces I created for a group show on August 6th. The images are from a bunch of vintage photos (probably from about 1910ish through 1950s) I bought off of eBay a couple years ago.

Air Mail

Two color (mint green and black) hand screen printed, hand painted and emulsion transfer collaged 24"x24" wood panel with a two color (black and white) screen printed piece of acrylic plexiglass mounted 1/4" above the wood panel's surface.

-------------------------

Released By

Two color (mint green and black) hand screen printed, hand painted and emulsion transfer collaged 24"x24" wood panel with a one color (black) screen printed piece of acrylic plexiglass mounted 1/4" above the wood panel's surface.

conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

Here are some shots of my two new pieces in stages that show the process in how i make them as well as all the layering:

Released By

First stage in my process: the under layer consisting of collage, toner and hand painting.

Second stage in my process: two colors screen printed on top of the collage, toner and hand painting.

Final stage in my process: one color screen printed sheet of acrylic plexiglass float mounted a 1/4" above the wood panel.

-------------------------

Air Mail

First stage in my process: the under layer consisting of collage, toner and hand painting.

Second stage in my process: two colors screen printed on top of the collage, toner and hand painting.

Final stage in my process: two colors screen printed sheet of acrylic plexiglass float mounted a 1/4" above the wood panel.

slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

Looking great John, love the process shots!
Ilja
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Ilja »

My new bedroom wall

(Sorry for phone camera)

Cheers
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

Ilja wrote:My new bedroom wall
great wall Ilja, thanks for sharing!
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Going Through the Motions - collaborative art show

Post by conartstudio »

Going Through the Motions - collaborative works by Felix Martinez & John Grayson

I'm extremely excited to announce that in one month from today, on First Friday, February 3rd (2.3.2017), Felix and I will be having our first collaborative art show together, titled "Going Through the Motions," at The Mothership Art Gallery in Philadelphia, PA. Each piece in the show will be a collaboration that will combine both of our individual styles and we can't wait to show everyone the final work.

If you'll be in the NJ/PA/DE area on February 3rd, we'd be honored if you could join us at The Mothership Art Gallery in Philly for First Friday.

-------
Going Through the Motions - collaborative works by Felix Martinez & John Grayson
First Friday, February 3rd, 2017 from 6-9pm
Mothership Art Gallery & Designer Toy Store
223 W Girard Ave, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19123
-------

submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

CONGRATS DUDE!
rlbchef
Giant