Rumspring

Artist-members sharing their work.
rumspring
Giant

Rumspring

Post by rumspring »

I don't consider myself an artist in any respect, so it is a bit of a stretch for me to start my own thread in this topic, but I want to share a couple of things I've been toying with and this seems like the best place.

I was going to try to get one of these together for the last art contest on here, but I've re-done each of them multiple times now. (This stuff is much harder than it looks.) They will both be spraypaint stencils on paper using black, metalic gray, and white measuring 22" x 30". Here are a couple of mock ups of them framed.

Punk Apparition:

American Jesus Fish:
Last edited by rumspring on Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whyhoo
itsame

Re: Rumspring

Post by whyhoo »

yeah! love the fish concept
on point like a decimalist?
adambad
Giant

Post by adambad »

the fish has a nice comentary. would like to see how these turn out. you takin it to the streets?
SHT!
Giant

Post by SHT! »

NICE!!!
whyhoo wrote:yeah! love the fish concept
+1!
SHT! Store
http://www.SHTexclamation.com
SHT! Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/SHTexclamation
SHT! Email
imakeSHT@gmail.com
SHT! Instagram
@SHTexclamation
skoola
Giant

Post by skoola »

SHT! wrote:NICE!!!
whyhoo wrote:yeah! love the fish concept
+1!
+2 me likey da fish
rumspring
Giant

Post by rumspring »

Thanks for the kind words.

I don't expect many people to get into the Joey design and I'm not satisfied with the face, but I'm sick of working on it, so I'm going to cut one last set of stencils and make a finished product that I may or may not hang on my wall.

The fish design is my favorite idea I've come up with so far. I just noticed a print in the new releases on Ebeans titled "American Jesus", so I was inspired to finally show my design here.

I don't think I'll be putting anything I create up in the streets any time soon. I'm too far away from anywhere populated enough to make it worth while. I might like to get some stickers made at some point though.
jak88
Giant

Post by jak88 »

Way diggin' the fish. Might also try same concept with outline horizontal and shark fin cruising along ...
rumspring
Giant

Post by rumspring »

jak88 wrote:Way diggin' the fish. Might also try same concept with outline horizontal and shark fin cruising along ...
That one has been around for a long time in the standard car decal form.

It might be cool to do a horizontal one with more representational detail like mine though. Mine is kind of intented to be a commentary on American Christianity as an extention of American culture in general. It isn't intended to be pro or anti necessarilly, so I hope no one takes offense. It is just that everything in the US gets done to the extreme. It can't just be a fish. It has to be a shark. Then it can't just be a shark, it has to be a man eater. etc. (I drew the line at puting a lazer on it ala Dr. Evil. :lol: )

Maybe some of you real artists out there who know what your doing can give me some feedback on my break down of layers for the stencils that I'll be spray painting. Here they are:

I'm planning to do it in flat black, flat gray, metalic gray/silver, and flat white spary paint. I may use a diamond shapped cross hatch screen on the gray and metalic layers within the sharks body to create a halftone and texture effect. I have a 26" by 42" frame and I might just do it close to that if I can find paper big enough.
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

rumspring wrote:I don't expect many people to get into the Joey design and I'm not satisfied with the face, but I'm sick of working on it, so I'm going to cut one last set of stencils and make a finished product that I may or may not hang on my wall.
I know exactly how you feel. I've been fed up with a project and just had one last attempt and called it quits. I've also just given up on things without finishing them. I hope you keep it going, maybe stash it out of view for a while and come back to it? Coming back to projects can sometimes shed new light on it and things will click, sometimes it doesn't help, but you won't be out anything for taking another look at it down the road. It's your art, it's your call, sometimes it's best to scrap a project, sometimes it pays off to keep pushing onward.

Your 'American Jesus Fish' is awesome, I'm very excited to see photos of some finished artwork! :D

Edit: I just saw your stencil breakdown after I typed out the above comment. It looks like you're thinking of going with a solid black fish, then adding layers on top of that? I would try to work it out so the crisp black layer of paint goes over the top of everything else. That way you won't have to cut all the detail and spray the darker grey twice at all, and I'm thinking the series of grey/silver/white will be easier to paint and look better on top of that darkest grey versus black.

Dark grey fill. Silver layer. White layer. Crisp Black layer.
"everyone needs to chill or I'm stopping the internet." - submit

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shopping on Amazon? Use this link and help thegiant.org!
rumspring
Giant

Post by rumspring »

Patillac, thanks for the suggestions on the order of operation on the Jesus Fish

I figured out what was bugging me about Joey's face. I looked at it upside down for a while and realized it looked like he had jowls.

I cut a quick remedial stencil to try to fix what I already had on paper and made a bit of a mess. I'm using plain Krylon paint with the nozzles that come on the cans. I had to use spray adhesive to hold my stencils in place while spraying and I guess I used too much or didn't let it dry long enough. A bunch of adhesive ended up sticking to the picture. I tried to clean it off with the solvents I had handy and just made a mess out of it.

I think I'll get some Montana Gold or other proper spray paint before I try anything else.

My stencils are cut from plastic report covers and will flap in the breeze from the Krylon cans without spray adhesive. Plus I had to hold the cans nearly upright. Can anyone give me some free advice, will I need spray adhesive if I use good paint with a proper nozzle?
stickee
Giant

Post by stickee »

good going there Rumspring!

how come you are using that material to make stencils out of?

if you used something more sturdy then the spray glue would be less of an issue if you are painting horizontally, you could also try using weights like bolts or pennies to hold the edges down.

the spray glue could be a reaction to the more volatile Krylon not being completly cured.........

Best spray glue in my opinion is 3M spray mount, its pricey but is the best

you would also notice a massive difference by using "graffiti" paint like Montana gold, get some low pressure nozzles while you are there.

Most of my stuff I paint vertically as I find it easier to move around the piece and the paint comes out easier.

keep going dude
when it snows in your nose you catch cold in your brain
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

Hey love the work. If you end up doing a few of the American Jesus fish, I would love one to hang. I also love the similarity to the original JAWS poster. Well done
toobs wrote:FCUK U JOBUUUUU!!!
rumspring
Giant

Post by rumspring »

Thanks everyone for the feedback and advice.

I did a quick and sloppy rough draft of the American Jesus Fish using Krylon. It seems to be working pretty much as planned. I just need to get a setup that doesn't turn out quite as messy.

I think the report covers I've been using for the stencils are not rigid enough. I'm guessing regular paper stencil material or the plastic stuff that is specifically designed for stencils would make a big difference. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

I got my hands on some Montana Gold, but I'm not very fond of how glossy it looks. Am I doing something wrong? How do I get an even/consistent flat finish with it?
MunkeyPants
Giant

Post by MunkeyPants »

Montana's website has a bunch of tutorials.
Submit. Rapture.
stickee
Giant

Post by stickee »

rumspring wrote:Thanks everyone for the feedback and advice.
I got my hands on some Montana Gold, but I'm not very fond of how glossy it looks. Am I doing something wrong? How do I get an even/consistent flat finish with it?
is it the 2nd generation montana gold? cos that stuff is more glossy than the old stuff....as for an even finish on it, best thing to do is have the cans warm and paint it in a warm room. Failing that my buddy normally uses a hairdryer inbetween sprays to even it out.
when it snows in your nose you catch cold in your brain
rumspring
Giant

Post by rumspring »

The cool space race stuff Hames002 is showing off inspired me to share a couple of graffiti artist wanna-be things I have done that might entertain you guys.

I call this one "Sky Writing":
I don't know if I'll actually ever try to cut stencils and spray paint this one, but I might (way tedious).

I call this one "Way Up":
This one might be worth the tedium of cutting the stencils.
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

Why did NASA send that guy up there with sh!tty paint?

Great piece. Looks really cool.
toobs wrote:FCUK U JOBUUUUU!!!
rumspring
Giant

Post by rumspring »

bdavenport wrote:Why did NASA send that guy up there with sh!tty paint?

Great piece. Looks really cool.
I guess that is just the way government contracting works. :lol: You did notice that it is magic space paint by the way didn't you?

I need to find a source for some old Krylon can labels to make it more authentic from circa 1970.

By the way, this idea has already been done or I'd have done one of these:
http://andyleipzig.blogspot.com/2010/02 ... t-can.html
SHT!
Giant

Post by SHT! »

those look great, man!
it may take some time to cut the stencils but you definitely should!
it would be worth it!
SHT! Store
http://www.SHTexclamation.com
SHT! Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/SHTexclamation
SHT! Email
imakeSHT@gmail.com
SHT! Instagram
@SHTexclamation
rumspring
Giant

Post by rumspring »

I dropped a layer from "Way Up' by shifting the lighter gray down to the darker gray in some areas and the darker gray to black in some areas. I think it looks much better myself because it gives it sharper contrast.

What do you guys with actual art training and/or experience think? (Yes, I'm looking for some more free education).

Oh, by the way, I found a much old Krylon label that might work for this. I'll probably try to incorporate it in a new revision shortly!
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

Id say for that to now work rumsprung, you would now need to make the background grey darker, to give contrast to the side of his body.
Good job though. ;)
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

slidingaround wrote:Id say for that to now work rumsprung, you would now need to make the background grey darker, to give contrast to the side of his body.
Good job though. ;)

agreed - and looking good!
on point like a decimalist?
rumspring
Giant

Post by rumspring »

Since nothing much seems to be going on in all of Propaganda Engineering otherwise...

I thought I would share the shoe images that I created after calling MBW's shoe prints hideous. I figure since I was being harsh on his, I should subject mine to criticism (and ridicule if you think it's appropriate :) ).

Oh, and I won't be trying to sell mine for $500+ (or at all). By the way, I promise I didn't copy Rene Gagnon's idea from his print of the superstar with the red background, I promise. :lol:
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

Are you gonna try stencilling any of these rumspring? Would be cool to see.
rumspring
Giant

Post by rumspring »

I'm waiting for dry and warm weather because I don't have an indoor option for spray painting.

I'm thinking about posting a bunch of my mock ups and having a poll to see what people think I should try cutting and spraying.

I know the subject matter has been way over done, but I could not help doing this one. I'll probably start cutting stencils for this one very soon and spray as soon as the weather is good enough. I also need to come up with something like a collage background for it.