Art contest- not directly to do with obey

Artist-members sharing their work.
thentherewasone
Giant

Art contest- not directly to do with obey

Post by thentherewasone »

Please move this if it shouldn't be here. I was tossing between pretty vacant and here

So this is just a preliminary poke to see if anyone would be interested in an art contest. I am kind of artistically inclined and play with photoshop a bit, but need an image for my wedding save the dates. I have plenty of time to get this done, but would like to gauge interest if someone would want to create something for me. If there isn't much interest I will likely scrap the idea and work on it myself

I figure it would be a regular vote type of situation with real prizes (I need to look through my flatfile to figure out what) There may need to be 2 prizes if I happen to want to use one of the images rather than the winner.

Theme: My fiancee is from Maryland and I'm from Boston so the idea is to use a crab and a lobster in it. Please keep in mind that this would potentially go to friends and family so pg please.

Medium: Any mediums will be fine as long as I have a large centered digital version to work with to get them printed as post cards.

More details to follow if I get a good response.

Thanks
danklax5
Giant

Re: Art contest- not directly to do with obey

Post by danklax5 »

Congrats on your up coming wedding.....

This is a contest for Patillac13.
"I make my own luck."
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

danklax5 wrote:Congrats on your up coming wedding.....

he wins everything!!!
on point like a decimalist?
thentherewasone
Giant

danklax5 wrote:Congrats on your up coming wedding.....

Its funny I almost contacted him directly just to give him a shot at it, but I figured this is a bit more fun
danklax5
Giant

Post by danklax5 »

Save yourself the time and effort of a contest and contact him.
"I make my own luck."
halopigg
Giant

Post by halopigg »

danklax5 wrote:Save yourself the time and effort of a contest and contact him.
Who's got my old stickers?
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

i agree, just contact an artist and hire them for a freelance job. don't try and crowdsource free art/ideas from artists (or anyone), that's just degrading and trying to take advantage of people - no matter what your intentions are. besides, you would only end up with low quality work because any artist worth a lick (or that has any self respect) wouldn't put their time and effort into a job they don't have.

would any of you work for free and then at the end of the day have your worked judged to find out if you get paid or not?

btw, congratulations on the wedding!
thentherewasone
Giant

fribhey wrote:
i agree, just contact an artist and hire them for a freelance job. don't try and crowdsource free art/ideas from artists (or anyone), that's just degrading and trying to take advantage of people - no matter what your intentions are. besides, you would only end up with low quality work because any artist worth a lick (or that has any self respect) wouldn't put their time and effort into a job they don't have.

would any of you work for free and then at the end of the day have your worked judged to find out if you get paid or not?

Fair enough, but isn't that what all of the art contests are? I mean people create something with a basic idea in mind and some win a prize and some don't.
extremeimages77
Giant

Post by extremeimages77 »

I would gladly do an entry for this..Boston guy here..
"Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded.
Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth
or fourteenth."
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

thentherewasone wrote:
fribhey wrote:

Fair enough, but isn't that what all of the art contests are? I mean people create something with a basic idea in mind and some win a prize and some don't.
there's a difference between having an art contest for the sake of having an art contest and trying to crowdsource spec work under the guise of a contest. i know your intentions are in the right place but it's not the right way to have some art/design done for your wedding. what you are doing is not an art contest, it's a design some stuff for me and i'll choose who gets paid/compensated for their work.

read:
http://www.aiga.org/position-spec-work/

http://wegraphics.net/blog/articles/the ... k-on-spec/
“Spec work (short for speculative) is any job for which the client expects to see examples or a finished product before agreeing to pay a fee.”

I recently ran across a company that was looking for a designer to produce a poster. Instead of hiring a designer directly for the project, they launched a contest, and invited anyone willing to participate to submit a design for the poster. The winner gets… (wait for it)… paid. The company gets to choose from potentially any number of designs, but they lose the one on one time they would get with a designer to communicate their goals for the project, and have something produced that they had a direct hand in creating. I’m assuming that the company failed to see the value in the this. Why is that? Are clients generally not educated when it comes to hiring someone to do a job?
http://www.davidairey.com/spec-work-in-graphic-design/
Design contests and spec work can be frustrating for designers, who feel the value of their profession is not understood. In a speculative scenario, the graphic designer is chosen for the product produced, and not for the service offered. Graphic design, by its very nature, is not a commodity. Coal, gold, coffee, they are commodities, where the value fluctuates depending upon markets.
http://www.articlealley.com/article_27358_3.html
The bottom line is that graphic design is a business. You wouldn't run your business by handing out your product or service for free in hopes that someone might feel like paying for it and you shouldn't expect a design firm or designer to do so.
thentherewasone
Giant

I actually wouldn't be the one choosing who would be compensated. The community would, though the caveat is that if there were one that I preferred then they would win something as well. In the end its true that I'd rather not "pay" for the art mainly because I don't have much of a budget for this part. I am however willing and able to part with a print or two to make it happen.

As of right now there isn't much interest in doing this so I may just contact the people who have said they'd like to do something
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

thentherewasone, are you talking about having people make the image alone, then you with design (add text, etc) around it? If that's the case, it seems to me like an art contest would be a great way to see some variety. Fribhey, I see where you're coming from, but I don't agree with you in this case. This isn't Nike asking people to design their new magazine ad, and in the end, they'll choose their favorite and compensate the winner... this is a board member asking willing people to make some art for a chance to get it worked into his wedding stuff (with a bonus chance at possibly winning a print or something). If the artists know heading into it that they might not win, then I don't see any issue with this. I don't think I've ever even drawn crabs or lobsters before... sounds like fun :) I'm in.
"everyone needs to chill or I'm stopping the internet." - submit

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shopping on Amazon? Use this link and help thegiant.org!
quiksilvr22
Punk

Post by quiksilvr22 »

I don't see anything wrong with this. He is not making anyone do it. It is essentially the designers/artist choice to opt in or not, and its not even limited to just them. This is open to anyone if I read it right. Plus, this is not for a major corporation or what not its a dude getting married. The whole "You wouldn't run your business by handing out your product or service for free in hopes that someone might feel like paying for it" is BS. Every time I go to the mall I get samples from the pretzel lady who hopes I will turn around a buy a pretzel. Or another example an artist hands out stickers to attract potential buyers to purchase their art.

Edit: Patillac13 must of read my mind. :twisted:
To talk goodness is not good. Only to do it is.
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

Free pretzel nubbins are the best.
"everyone needs to chill or I'm stopping the internet." - submit

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shopping on Amazon? Use this link and help thegiant.org!
thentherewasone
Giant

Patillac13 wrote:thentherewasone, are you talking about having people make the image alone, then you with design (add text, etc) around it?
Yes this is an image only deal. I would add any of the text needed to the front. That's mainly why I'm looking for a larger clearer pick of whatever it happens to be. I'd imagine that whatever printer I choose will give me options for the reverse.
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

Not to poo on your contest but we're using this image for our announcements/invites (Feel free to steal). :D

thentherewasone
Giant

Thats awesome! That might not pass with the fiancee, but I think its a great idea. We had considered using a collage of photoshoped images with our faces on all sorts of people.