Ministry of Information -Behind the scenes of Obey!

News and information coming direct to you from Obey
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Re: Ministry of Information -Behind the scenes of Obey!

Post by jjttdw »

Very well said Fatty.
toyroom
Giant

Post by toyroom »

Fattyramone wrote:It's a shame this forum is being left to dwindle away really? ...lack of any "exclusivity" of news gives us nothing to build on to revigorate the place , other than to repeat snippets that have been picked up on other forums.

I wasn't around in its "glory" years , but when my interest in prints and in Shepard Fairey in particular was piqued on another music forum I used to use the first thing I did was google "Shepard Fairey forum" that bought me to this place on which I lurked for a few weeks before joining in , and from this place I learnt of EB. .....but I will always consider this place as my gateway into collecting all things Obey.....and lack of any real (semi) official input may dissuade others like me from getting the future bug?

I'm not and never will be a Facebook lover.

Is it too much to ask for the occasional "copy and paste" official snippets that get posted elsewhere to get posted on here even if it is just to give the facade that this place still has its relevance to collecting Obey stuff? .......even if its still just the scraps off the table?
Yes, even though posting those little snippets was voluntary, I think it was vital to this forum.
Plus the lack of interest (mods) in posting a current archive of prints and fine art is lacking, to say the least.
I can see letting it slide for a couple of months, BUT A YEAR... I miss guys like Mose.

I used to get info on Shepard, Obey Giant, Studio Number One, and Subliminal Projects here first, now this place finishes last.

These are a few of the reasons I don't come around so much.

I thought I'd never say this, but as much as I love this place and the community, I go to that other forum waay more.
Solar
Giant

Post by Solar »

I think the problem with this place is that Shep isn't the quick flip of the week anymore, so a lot of the members motivated by a quick buck disappearred. The rest of us pop in, but without much new blood, there just isn't much to say.

I was kinda surprised by the lack of discussion in the last couple show threads like '50 Shades'...
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

Solar wrote:I think the problem with this place is that Shep isn't the quick flip of the week anymore, so a lot of the members motivated by a quick buck disappearred.
i disagree with that statement. those who are motivated by a quick flip participate on EB, those who used to hang around and those who still hang around, do so because of the love of art, particularly shepard's art.
Optimus Rabbit
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Optimus Rabbit »

I for one get information from the Obey Instagram feed, and just don't go through the steps to log in here anymore. I'd imagine many users who would have been active here 5-6 years ago also now get information through social media.

Social media has disintermediated a large piece of this sites utility.
Solar
Giant

Post by Solar »

conartstudio wrote:
Solar wrote:I think the problem with this place is that Shep isn't the quick flip of the week anymore, so a lot of the members motivated by a quick buck disappearred.
i disagree with that statement. those who are motivated by a quick flip participate on EB, those who used to hang around and those who still hang around, do so because of the love of art, particularly shepard's art.
You don't think those Obama-era members who don't post anymore just moved over to EB?
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

Optimus Rabbit wrote: Social media has disintermediated a large piece of this sites utility.

very much so. people make stupid comments on instagram and the feed owner just clicks "delete".

personally i felt less inclined to contribute here after the debate over personal information, left a bad taste in my mouth.
on point like a decimalist?
toyroom
Giant

Post by toyroom »

I also respectfully disagree, there is still lots of flipping going on, as Sheps prints still sell out within seconds for the most part, and IMO he's having a pretty good 2014 print wise.

Communities such as this die without leaders and devotees/contributors... community = vitality.
Fattyramone
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Fattyramone »

Solar wrote:
I was kinda surprised by the lack of discussion in the last couple show threads like '50 Shades'...
Yeah me too , but it's become "what is there left to say that hasn't already been said on EB" other than the usual "+1 ..missed it...don't like it" type of comments that now seem to prevail on all the antisipation threads (I'm as guilty of it as anyone else)

There must be loads of old-time-users-but-now-only-lurkers take a look now and again but without anything of intrest being given to us to chew on stay just that ...lurkers.

Apathy will be the death of it in the end , if they don't care why should we?....and that's a shame.

P.s. ....agree with the comment on not keeping the print archive up to date too....an invaluable future refrence database getting squandered
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

toyroom wrote:I miss guys like Mose.
+1 Admonkey, Submit, ...
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
Abrogate
Giant

Post by Abrogate »

I too would love to see more action here. Its definitely been on a downhill slide.
Plus the archive needs a serious update.
What's the solution?
"the greatest form of sanity anyone can exercise is to resist the force that is trying to repress,oppress and fight down the human spirit."-Mumia Abu Jamal
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

For the archive I think we need to have an interface where forum members can add things that get approved, including corrections. Shep churns out a ton of stuff and to push keeping the archive up to date on to a few people means if those people do not have time it does not get done. It is a whole lot easier to look at and approve 5 entries than to read the email and put the info in five times.
toyroom
Giant

Post by toyroom »

jjttdw wrote:For the archive I think we need to have an interface where forum members can add things that get approved, including corrections. Shep churns out a ton of stuff and to push keeping the archive up to date on to a few people means if those people do not have time it does not get done. It is a whole lot easier to look at and approve 5 entries than to read the email and put the info in five times.

I think this is a great idea, all we need is a mod to set it up. This way we can all participate in getting our prints and fine art put into the database.
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

toyroom wrote:
jjttdw wrote:For the archive I think we need to have an interface where forum members can add things that get approved, including corrections. Shep churns out a ton of stuff and to push keeping the archive up to date on to a few people means if those people do not have time it does not get done. It is a whole lot easier to look at and approve 5 entries than to read the email and put the info in five times.

I think this is a great idea, all we need is a mod to set it up. This way we can all participate in getting our prints and fine art put into the database.

ah yes, the "all we need is a mod to set it up" part is the tough one. i'm happy to help and well versed in dealing with all of this if anyone wants to hit me up.
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

I actually think the no banter rule in sales threads should be lifted. They can actually create quite a good conversation.
I understand it can make the threads go of topic but.........
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

whyhoo wrote:
toyroom wrote:

ah yes, the "all we need is a mod to set it up" part is the tough one. i'm happy to help and well versed in dealing with all of this if anyone wants to hit me up.
^ this

It's hard when the mods don't really participate here anymore. Also, a modification to the site like that would mostly have to be done by Adam and not a forum mod, unfortunately both Adam and Mary are both busy with life and don't visit often.
Fattyramone
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Fattyramone »

unfortunately both Adam and Mary are both busy with life and don't visit often.
How dare they? ...don't they know they have nerds to attend to?
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

conartstudio wrote:
whyhoo wrote:
toyroom wrote:

^ this

It's hard when the mods don't really participate here anymore. Also, a modification to the site like that would mostly have to be done by Adam and not a forum mod, unfortunately both Adam and Mary are both busy with life and don't visit often.

yup, he'd have to hand over the keys to the kingdom to really start getting things done.
summoner
Giant

Post by summoner »

FWIW, if anyone could be trusted to make some needed changes, I would whole heartedly suggest whyhoo.
noverflow
I think I started this

Post by noverflow »

Turns out... Y'all wrong!
It's actually a wiki and any forum member with more than 10 posts is welcome to make changes and create new pages.
YEARS ago, we had many members helping out with it.

I am more than happy to make a tutorial on how to do it, because it is weird and difficult the first time around. But it all comes down to this.

First thing is first. Login to the wiki. Your username and password from the forum should work for you.

You just create a new page (top center of the main page of the wiki) called whatever the name of the piece is. And you paste this in there, and fill it out. You do need to upload the images ( http://thegiant.org/wiki/index.php/Special:Upload ) , and that can be tricky too - But only the first time.

Things that look like [[this]] are links. That would be a link the the article "this" - It is completely case sensitive though.

Code: Select all

{{gallery
|image = 2 Tone Album Cover HPM.jpg
|name = 2 Tone Album Cover HPM
|year = 2008
|description = silkscreen and mixed media on reclaimed album cover
|edition = 8
|size = 12x12
|provenance = White Walls Gallery
|extra information = This piece retailed for $1100 at [[The Duality of Humanity]].
|related pieces = 
|related prints = [[New Wave Couple Album Cover]]
}}

summoner wrote:FWIW, if anyone could be trusted to make some needed changes, I would whole heartedly suggest whyhoo.
I really hate PMs. Please just email me.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

noverflow wrote:Turns out... Y'all wrong!
It's actually a wiki and any forum member with more than 10 posts is welcome to make changes and create new pages.
YEARS ago, we had many members helping out with it.

I am more than happy to make a tutorial on how to do it, because it is weird and difficult the first time around. But it all comes down to this.

First thing is first. Login to the wiki. Your username and password from the forum should work for you.

You just create a new page (top center of the main page of the wiki) called whatever the name of the piece is. And you paste this in there, and fill it out. You do need to upload the images ( http://thegiant.org/wiki/index.php/Special:Upload ) , and that can be tricky too - But only the first time.

Things that look like [[this]] are links. That would be a link the the article "this" - It is completely case sensitive though.

Code: Select all

{{gallery
|image = 2 Tone Album Cover HPM.jpg
|name = 2 Tone Album Cover HPM
|year = 2008
|description = silkscreen and mixed media on reclaimed album cover
|edition = 8
|size = 12x12
|provenance = White Walls Gallery
|extra information = This piece retailed for $1100 at [[The Duality of Humanity]].
|related pieces = 
|related prints = [[New Wave Couple Album Cover]]
}}

summoner wrote:FWIW, if anyone could be trusted to make some needed changes, I would whole heartedly suggest whyhoo.
who are you again?

:lol:
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

and here i thought people were asking for something new!

turns out we just suck :lol:
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

I just added these to the prints wiki:

Paint It Black (Brush)
Scale Tipping Print
Learn To Obey
Strummerville
Cost Of Expression
Bob Marley Print
Home Invasion 1
Home Invasion 2
Oil and Gas Building
Paradise Turns
Jello Biafra

I will work on trying to get the print database all up to date this afternoon. since this isn't the place for wiki info, please let me know if i miss anything over here:
http://forum.thegiant.org/posting.php?mode=post&f=12
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

its nice to see the board buzzing a bit..... -dead-beat-mod ec
A New Hot Girl Joins the Giant.org every minute!
vvk
Giant

Post by vvk »

conartstudio wrote:I just added these to the prints wiki:

Paint It Black (Brush)
Scale Tipping Print
Learn To Obey
Strummerville
Cost Of Expression
Bob Marley Print
Home Invasion 1
Home Invasion 2
Oil and Gas Building
Paradise Turns
Jello Biafra

I will work on trying to get the print database all up to date this afternoon. since this isn't the place for wiki info, please let me know if i miss anything over here:
http://forum.thegiant.org/posting.php?mode=post&f=12

most of the time i think your a jerk, but today I think your a pretty cool dude! haha
thanks man. I for one appreciate your efforts .
v