Demand in France

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
bsharp
Posse

Demand in France

Post by bsharp »

I've noticed a large portion of the Obey prints I've sold went to buyers in France. Anecdotally, I've also seen that auctions in France tend to get much stronger results than equivalent auctions for similar works in other countries.

It seems there is an unusually strong demand for Shep's work there. Has it always been that way? Or has it just been that way since around the time of the Liberte mural and print in 2016?

As a non-French, non-EU person, I find it interesting. And it's great to see demand for Obey stuff all around the world. Does anybody have ideas why this is the case?
russkov
Swindler

Re: Demand in France

Post by russkov »

I think that Shepard went "undergournd popular" as fast in France as in US, IMHO. I remember having seen Fairey stuff already back in late 90's, mostly driven by skateboard community.
That said, France is more traditional in its approach of art, i.e. that even now it is hard for a lot of people to buy and sell fine art pieces and lithographs on Ebay or forums such as here, only via galleries or auction houses with quite a reputation. This maybe explains that.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

Been that way for a long time. Weird, but for years, the flipping market there has seemed just as strong as here
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

@jeromecatz is a big active collector in France. He may be able to add some insights.
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
GilsTaills
Punk

Post by GilsTaills »

I'm from France and I am collecting Shepard Fairey's works since 2015 (and following him since 10+ years).

Above the fact that France is often following the trends from USA (like the movies or musics), I have the feeling that there were a lot of events and shows organized by the artist in the country these last years. it contributed to make him more popular here. A few examples of these events:
= Earth Crisis project at Eiffel Tower
= several shows at Galerie Itinerrance
= several murals in Paris and also in Grenoble
= Obey Clothing shop opening
= even galeries that do not represent the artist are promoting him by selling his works

Furthermore, I guess we have some good French artists internationally recognized (Invader, C215, JR, etc) and it helps to make the urban art world more popular in the country.
jeromecatz
Punk

Post by jeromecatz »

Hi Guys, it's kind of weird for me to get back to the Forum again... love it and scare it because of temptation...
I'm setting up a 1000 + print exhibition of Shepard in the city of Lyon next March. Everything is super exciting but stressful according to the delay... Anyway, as the exhibition will long 4 months and Lyon is a big European hub, I was wondering about organizing a kind of "Shepard Pint Collerctors Meeting" during a Weekend, to propose to the fans to come and meet (with their portfolios) at the Venue... what do you guys think about this?
on the side I'll be looking too buy some specific pieces from the old times, like Central Face (to complete the set) and some pieces from 1998 and before...
If you can help to spread the word : Thanks a lot for your help
Love from France
Jerome