Official Mockup Thread

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
jak88
Giant

Re: Official Mockup Thread

Post by jak88 »

One way is using this website:
http://www.pictureframes.com/scripts/We ... /FrameShop

Upload a pic and experiment with diff frame and matte options.
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

"everyone needs to chill or I'm stopping the internet." - submit

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shopping on Amazon? Use this link and help thegiant.org!
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

Not a big fan of either artist, but if I were, this is what I would want to do. This looks great.
toobs wrote:FCUK U JOBUUUUU!!!
JErikR
Giant

Post by JErikR »

Nice vision in putting those two together like that.
JErikR
superfly snuka
Propaganda Engineer

Post by superfly snuka »

Those look killer together!
CDUB
Punk

Post by CDUB »

What is the best option for framing a non edition print that won't necessarily gain the value over time that some of the numbered prints will get? Some of my favorite work by Shep is the giant work featuring Andre but the prints for sale now aren't numbered and what not so I don't want to spend $250-350 on a framing job for a poster I bought for 45 bucks. Am I thinking about this correctly? I would appreciate the help.
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

CDUB wrote:What is the best option for framing a non edition print that won't necessarily gain the value over time that some of the numbered prints will get? Some of my favorite work by Shep is the giant work featuring Andre but the prints for sale now aren't numbered and what not so I don't want to spend $250-350 on a framing job for a poster I bought for 45 bucks. Am I thinking about this correctly? I would appreciate the help.
What size are they? I'd go with a prefab frame but still put some cheap archival paper behind it to protect it a little from the backing board. If you're talking about the non-standard sized prints, then it'll be a bit trickier to frame them without spending much. Are you up to the idea of making your own frames?

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

Patillac13 wrote:
CDUB wrote:What is the best option for framing a non edition print that won't necessarily gain the value over time that some of the numbered prints will get? Some of my favorite work by Shep is the giant work featuring Andre but the prints for sale now aren't numbered and what not so I don't want to spend $250-350 on a framing job for a poster I bought for 45 bucks. Am I thinking about this correctly? I would appreciate the help.
What size are they? I'd go with a prefab frame but still put some cheap archival paper behind it to protect it a little from the backing board. If you're talking about the non-standard sized prints, then it'll be a bit trickier to frame them without spending much. Are you up to the idea of making your own frames?
i think http://www.americanframe.com/ is the best alternative to prefab frames on the inexpensive side. you can get a custom sized frame, custom mat, etc, etc.... if it's a standard size then your best bet is to just go the prefab route and pick up something at michaels/ac moore/etc
CDUB
Punk

Post by CDUB »

Patillac13 wrote:
Patillac: The print I would like to display is the Obey Offset print that is my avatar picture. Its a 25" x 38" so no prefab (I don't think). And I am pretty new to actually purchasing valuable pieces so I have never even thought about frames up until recently. So actually making them for myself is even a more distant thought. Haha

Fribhey: Thanks for the site. I'll definitely check that out!

On a different note, I would love to see a mockup of the obey offset print if anyone has it?!?
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

You might be able to find a frame for a 27 by 40 inch movie poster locally. Otherwise, I feel like that size will cost a bit regardless of which custom site you try out. I think I have a store around here that sells one for around $20, they do look really cheap though.

whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

Patillac13 wrote:You might be able to find a frame for a 27 by 40 inch movie poster locally. Otherwise, I feel like that size will cost a bit regardless of which custom site you try out. I think I have a store around here that sells one for around $20, they do look really cheap though.

michael's or aaron brothers - it's easy to find a coupon for either (sign up at michaels) and get a decent prefab frame for cheap. get some mounting corners and you're in business after about 10 minutes!
on point like a decimalist?
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

whyhoo wrote:
Patillac13 wrote:You might be able to find a frame for a 27 by 40 inch movie poster locally. Otherwise, I feel like that size will cost a bit regardless of which custom site you try out. I think I have a store around here that sells one for around $20, they do look really cheap though.

michael's or aaron brothers - it's easy to find a coupon for either (sign up at michaels) and get a decent prefab frame for cheap. get some mounting corners and you're in business after about 10 minutes!
i don't have an aaron bros near me but michael's always put a circular in the sunday paper that has 40-50% off one item. and like you said, sign up to their mailing list to get the coupons. i just used a couple coupons to buy some art supplies from michaels - they actually sell some silk screening supplies.
MunkeyPants
Giant

Post by MunkeyPants »

CDUB wrote:
Patillac: The print I would like to display is the Obey Offset print that is my avatar picture. Its a 25" x 38" so no prefab (I don't think).
Why not just trim a half inch off each side and an inch off the top and bottom to make the print fit a standard 24x36 frame? As you noted, it's an open edition and not going to go up in value. That said, it's still signed by Shepard which is cool.

Another option might be to wheat paste the sucker to a piece of quarter inch thick plywood and use steel cable or chain to hang it on your wall. It would look a bit rougher, like it was outside art and that could be cool too. If you go that route, you could get some obey stickers and perhaps some of the other sticker artists on here and slap them on top like it's a sticker gallery. Then leave the whole thing outside for a couple of weeks in the rain and sun to give it a bit of age patina. You could pour a bit of tea , or watered down coffee, down the print as well to simulate a wall placement that had constant water pouring over it for a long time.

If you can't bear to cut the print down in size, the Icon obey logo and the Star are available for download on the Obey site - take the file to Kinko's and have them size it however big you want. Depending on the size you make it, this may be more expensive though.
Submit. Rapture.
CDUB
Punk

Post by CDUB »

MunkeyPants wrote:
CDUB wrote:
Patillac: The print I would like to display is the Obey Offset print that is my avatar picture. Its a 25" x 38" so no prefab (I don't think).
Why not just trim a half inch off each side and an inch off the top and bottom to make the print fit a standard 24x36 frame? As you noted, it's an open edition and not going to go up in value. That said, it's still signed by Shepard which is cool.

Another option might be to wheat paste the sucker to a piece of quarter inch thick plywood and use steel cable or chain to hang it on your wall. It would look a bit rougher, like it was outside art and that could be cool too. If you go that route, you could get some obey stickers and perhaps some of the other sticker artists on here and slap them on top like it's a sticker gallery. Then leave the whole thing outside for a couple of weeks in the rain and sun to give it a bit of age patina. You could pour a bit of tea , or watered down coffee, down the print as well to simulate a wall placement that had constant water pouring over it for a long time.

If you can't bear to cut the print down in size, the Icon obey logo and the Star are available for download on the Obey site - take the file to Kinko's and have them size it however big you want. Depending on the size you make it, this may be more expensive though.
I'll definitely look at trimming the print down! That would probably be the cheapest way. And I had not thought about the rougher look you described. I would be really interested in seeing a print like that! Sounds pretty unique. Thanks for the advice man.
rumspring
Giant

Post by rumspring »

Last Mountain with Dark Wave / Rising Sun, America's Favorite, Evolve Devolve, and These Sunsets:
Link to large image:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3070/579 ... e199_b.jpg

Evolve Devolve is not only the logical choice for a pairing, but it looks best IMO as well.
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

Nice mockups, but you've got to remember that evolve/devolve is significantly darker that the online image. If last mtn is too, it will look great. If not, might need to go a different route
toobs wrote:FCUK U JOBUUUUU!!!
truthiness
Giant

Post by truthiness »

rumspring wrote:Last Mountain with Dark Wave / Rising Sun, America's Favorite, Evolve Devolve, and These Sunsets:
Link to large image:

Evolve Devolve is not only the logical choice for a pairing, but it looks best IMO as well.
I think Last Mountain would be a great centerpiece with Evolve on the right and Sunsets on the left.
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. -- George Orwell
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

truthiness wrote:
rumspring wrote:Last Mountain with Dark Wave / Rising Sun, America's Favorite, Evolve Devolve, and These Sunsets:
Link to large image:

I think Last Mountain would be a great centerpiece with Evolve on the right and Sunsets on the left.
I think you are on to something. I like the way it looks in the mockup with Sunsets in the middle.
toobs
Giant

Post by toobs »

So I know some people have been wondering how the heck they are gunna frame all there new Record Box sets, I figured it out, (despite gettin my own, I've done this for both of my Kinsey 12x12 sets) on how to frame all 36 prints for around $300 :mrgreen:

So here we go.

1. Currently Aaron Brothers is having there buy a frame get a frame for a penny sale, they have a handful of different frames that are 12x36 that run around $30 a pop, Purchase 6 frames u get 6 for a penny, which should be 12 frames for a total under $200 after taxes.

2. Most paper or print shops have acid free paper that u will need for the backing of your prints and it shouldnt run more then $3-$4 to cover each back of the frames, so u'll be droppin another $50 on that.

3. Last step depends if u would like to matte the 3 prints (per frame) or use spacers, your total may very from $50-$100. I decided on using spacers, its more cost effective and less time consuming

jus mocked up a couple from the dance box so u guys can see
rumspring
Giant

Post by rumspring »

That is a miraculously inexpensive way to frame those album covers Toobs. Framing was one of the main reasons I couldn't get excited about the album covers, but there you go.
samuraiwriter
Propaganda Engineer

Post by samuraiwriter »

Looks good.
halopigg
Giant

Post by halopigg »

Can someone throw me some mock ups for my giant subliminal. At this point I am thinking float it with simple black frame like my other obey fine are, but part of me thinks I should do something crazy. CRAZY!!!!! thanks.

dan
Who's got my old stickers?
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

Define "crazy"...

halopigg
Giant

Post by halopigg »

Thanks Pat! I think out of those two I prefer the white. How about you? Crazy like trying to do something with one of the four colors, or maybe something like my Heavy Metal where the matte has a color line around the print.
Who's got my old stickers?
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

Matching colors behind the print (plus one new color)... they all look pretty cool.

I initially really liked the look of the print floated off that olive color, but, to me, it takes away from the print's POW, so I might prefer the look of white (or mayyyybe black) for the long term. But it's yours, man, roll with what you are feeling. Who knows though, I DIY framed my BKLK cover floated out like an inch off of a deep dark red background and I still love that years later.