Bots/Flipper analysis?

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
Sdjosh
Punk

Bots/Flipper analysis?

Post by Sdjosh »

Has anyone every done an analysis of how many prints get flipped? I get skunked most of the time on drops, but occasionally break through. After the lily / lotus drop, I did some very light eBay research, very coarse filtering for sold and for sale, and had to stop since they only show 3 months of sales history.

Let’s assume everything sold the first couple months is flippers. Looks like something <20% gets flipped? Shep has 1.3M followers on IG and releases enough prints to satisfy <0.1% of that.

Name/Edition/Sold/For sale/% flippers
Snoop/Ed 550/85 sold/37 for sale/22% flippers
Eyes Open/625/38/10/8%
Greed Depression/300/24/8/10%
John Lewis/550/45/10/10%
Warning Addictive/250/55/17/29%

I don’t have anywhere I’m going with this, just was thinking about it and wondering if anyone else had.
vvk
Giant

Re: Bots/Flipper analysis?

Post by vvk »

in 2020 I would imagine 30-50% of the drops were bing flipped.
a min of 40% were getting picked up by bots.
just a hunch.
Sdjosh
Punk

Post by Sdjosh »

Is there any other place they would sell beside eBay?
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

My purely empirical unscientific estimate is that about 10% had always been flipped since the days of instant sell outs. Currently, the markets have cooled and the edition sizes have increased so even with the expanded audience, I feel that's still in the ballpark. Highly desirable drops with hopes of becoming iconic (Occupy Wall St., COVID, etc.) get more attention from flippers and those realizing the print they just scored can pay half their rent and tend to be flipped more. I think 30% is too high of estimate for an average flip rate, but I could be wrong.
There are some other boards, like EB, where prints change hands outside of the bay.
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
Sdjosh
Punk

Post by Sdjosh »

Is anyone outraged that 10-20% of the prints end up with flippers? I thought it would be higher given the social media comments
vvk
Giant

Post by vvk »

Sdjosh wrote:Is anyone outraged that 10-20% of the prints end up with flippers? I thought it would be higher given the social media comments
i personally be live it is higher.
10-20 might be bots, but we all know that there is another 10-20 low level flippers who might not score all the time but score and flip ever so often to pay for new shoes or rent & ramen.
no1gdman
Propaganda Engineer

Post by no1gdman »

There's also the sleeper flippers. They buy the print, wait 3-6 months, and then say "oh something came up and now I have to sell it. Dang it, darn it, shucks." Still flipping in my opinion. I've been seeing a lot of that lately.
brintoul
Giant

Post by brintoul »

Sdjosh wrote:Is anyone outraged that 10-20% of the prints end up with flippers? I thought it would be higher given the social media comments
I'm shaking my fist as hard as I can but nothing's happening!

Post by daz125 »

I've just listed 2 of my Obey prints on ebay as I'm currently on furlough and come back on here after a few years of forgetting all about Obey prints, had a good look through a few threads too. The 2 I've listed are the John Lydon 'A Product Of Your Society' from 2016 and the other is the 2015 PCP Peace Doves set of 3 so wouldn't consider myself a flipper after that long. At the time I was buying Obey prints it was that challenging to get a print I think I overbought, or went for prints that weren't as desirable to me, I got caught up in the chase I suppose, you must know what I mean, there was one drop scheduled to drop in a 2-hour window and it never dropped that was a fun night pressing F5, there must be collectors that do that the same as I did. I didn't get that bad I got a Big Proof though :lol:

I've listed the Lydon print @£225 purely based off a recent sale in the UK selling for £234 and the Peace Doves @£350 as I don't mind keeping hold of that one, but would sell it for the right price. They are inflated ebay prices but have make an offer on as well. (I'm not trying to push a sale btw I'm in the UK so doubting anyone would be interested and I've not put international postage on them either.
I turned down £250 for the Peace Doves an hour after listing and sent a £280 counteroffer back but not had a reply

As for bots my pals got one for the Supreme drops on his phone, it lets him cart things before they're up, you're never going to beat one of those. Terrible things
BadJustin
Posse

Post by BadJustin »

Sdjosh wrote:Is there any other place they would sell beside eBay?

I’ve seen them on literally every platform. Poshmark, Mercado, CL and of course Facebook.
anodyne13
Grumpy Old Man

Post by anodyne13 »

I just tried for the release today and was on it - but sold out in a second - has to be massive bots or child labor boiler rooms or something.
distract
Posse

Post by distract »

Complete trash.
stuckeyc37
Propaganda Engineer

Post by stuckeyc37 »

I actually scored today. First time long time on a highly sought after drop
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

brintoul wrote:
I'm shaking my fist as hard as I can but nothing's happening!
:lol:
on point like a decimalist?
GilsTaills
Punk

Post by GilsTaills »

The last release (Kurt Cobain Endless Nameless) is the worst, I have never seen so much pieces sold/for sale on Ebay for an Obey edition...

Based on figures from April 6th to April 11st:

Name / Edition / Sold / For Sale / % Flippers
Kurt Cobain Endless Nameless
Edition of 650
162 pieces sold
79 pieces for sale
37% of flippers
ciphe
Posse

Post by ciphe »

GilsTaills wrote:The last release (Kurt Cobain Endless Nameless) is the worst, I have never seen so much pieces sold/for sale on Ebay for an Obey edition...

Edition of 650
162 pieces sold
79 pieces for sale
37% of flippers

I really hope someone from the team reads this post.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

ciphe wrote:
GilsTaills wrote:The last release (Kurt Cobain Endless Nameless) is the worst, I have never seen so much pieces sold/for sale on Ebay for an Obey edition...

Edition of 650
162 pieces sold
79 pieces for sale
37% of flippers

If they really cared, they would have done something about it by now, like stop using Shopify, but everything they’ve done has made it harder for non flippers to buy. I stopped trying a while ago. Don’t want to play a game to be able to enjoy art.
nixon451
Giant

Post by nixon451 »

conartstudio wrote:
ciphe wrote:

Edition of 650
162 pieces sold
79 pieces for sale
37% of flippers

If they really cared, they would have done something about it by now, like stop using Shopify, but everything they’ve done has made it harder for non flippers to buy. I stopped trying a while ago. Don’t want to play a game to be able to enjoy art.
I like to play games that are possible to win.
Sdjosh
Punk

Post by Sdjosh »

It almost feels like a win if you can get all the way to the payment processing before you find out that you lost
notudon
Giant

Post by notudon »

It has become close to impossible to get through the process fast enough. Would prefer a 1 minute window to register and then do a draw for winners.
Check out my print collection. http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=1462" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or http://www.expressobeans.com/members/co ... p?id=12750" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;