Friends and Family Prints - Framing Materials

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
Sdjosh
Punk

Friends and Family Prints - Framing Materials

Post by Sdjosh »

Just picked up a Holiday Peace Tree and it has mat burn. It is the first F+F print I acquired unframed. I’m trying to figure out what type of framing materials are are used in the holiday F+F prints. I found a couple posts mentioned that the glazing has no UV protection. Is the mat acid-free? Is the backing foam core acid-free? Are they hinge mounted?

Figured I’d ask the experts...

Glazing:
Mat:
Backing:
Hinge:
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Re: Friends and Family Prints - Framing Materials

Post by conartstudio »

Sdjosh wrote:Just picked up a Holiday Peace Tree and it has mat burn. It is the first F+F print I acquired unframed. I’m trying to figure out what type of framing materials are are used in the holiday F+F prints. I found a couple posts mentioned that the glazing has no UV protection. Is the mat acid-free? Is the backing foam core acid-free? Are they hinge mounted?

Glazing:
Mat:
Backing:
Hinge:
The friends and family prints are framed in complete garbage frames with cheap non UV protecting plastic. Anyone who does not remove it immediately from the frame is ruining the print. I’ve picked up a few that came framed, removed then from the frames immediately and had one that had “may burn” - which really isn’t mat burn because the mat actually protected the edges from getting bleach out from the sun.
Sdjosh
Punk

Post by Sdjosh »

Guess I have some work to do this weekend. Thanks!
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

Probably me too. Do they put tape on these? Wondering how easy it will be to remove.
BadJustin
Posse

Post by BadJustin »

conartstudio wrote:
Sdjosh wrote:Just picked up a Holiday Peace Tree and it has mat burn. It is the first F+F print I acquired unframed. I’m trying to figure out what type of framing materials are are used in the holiday F+F prints. I found a couple posts mentioned that the glazing has no UV protection. Is the mat acid-free? Is the backing foam core acid-free? Are they hinge mounted?

Glazing:
Mat:
Backing:
Hinge:
The friends and family prints are framed in complete garbage frames with cheap non UV protecting plastic. Anyone who does not remove it immediately from the frame is ruining the print. I’ve picked up a few that came framed, removed then from the frames immediately and had one that had “may burn” - which really isn’t mat burn because the mat actually protected the edges from getting bleach out from the sun.

Great info here John, thanks! So is one to assume the fine art pieces that come framed (HPMs) are also suspect?
bsharp
Posse

Post by bsharp »

jjttdw wrote:Probably me too. Do they put tape on these? Wondering how easy it will be to remove.
One of the Bleeding Lotus holiday prints I have was taped in the top two corners. Thankfully whoever they hired to frame it only taped the two and I didn't have to bother with the bottom.

One of the framers that Shep has used at least recently for a holiday print is FastFrame Irvine. (The super secret alternate second gold Obey Deco Flower -- as an aside, I was surprised to learn there are 4 Obey Deco Flower releases in total). I was chatting with the framer there a while back and he said that the specifications differ from job to job and Shep doesn't frame em all at once. He just frames them as the client directs and sometimes the request is to use cheaper frames and tape. Not sure what to think about that.

My Burrard Mandala print came framed in a glass frame, floated on archival backing, and had a strip of spray adhesive across the back to secure it. Had to send it to Poster Mountain to get that one removed.
BadJustin wrote: Great info here John, thanks! So is one to assume the fine art pieces that come framed (HPMs) are also suspect?
I believe Shep's almost always used Castelli frames for the fine art stuff. I have reason to doubt the quality of their frame jobs too. One of my wood HPMs (also framed by Castelli) had to be adjusted because one of the corners came loose and the panel was flapping around. The framer that I consulted with on that told me that whoever framed it didn't use long enough screws.

Not trying to be negative overall. I love collecting this stuff. But definitely be cautious about anything you don't frame yourself. I guess that's not specific to Obey art though.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

BadJustin wrote:
conartstudio wrote:

Glazing:
Mat:
Backing:
Hinge:

Great info here John, thanks! So is one to assume the fine art pieces that come framed (HPMs) are also suspect?
I'm sure the framed fine art prints are fine. probably not museum glass, which could easily be changed out, but I'm sure the rest of the materials are acid free... the friends and family prints are given out for free and I doubt they spend much on the frames for them - they're framed in budget quality frames.
Sdjosh
Punk

Post by Sdjosh »

2016 Holiday for your viewing pleasure.

Cardboard, staples, scotch tape, post-removal discoloration

BadJustin
Posse

Post by BadJustin »

Josh, pics of this Mandala? I’m a mandala homer
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

Sdjosh wrote:2016 Holiday for your viewing pleasure.

Cardboard, staples, scotch tape, post-removal discoloration

I wasn’t lying. Cheapest of the cheap framing job.
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

Ooof
Sdjosh
Punk

Post by Sdjosh »

Final product. Will keep updating as I work my through the other 10

Sdjosh
Punk

Post by Sdjosh »

Holiday 2012
Cardboard, staples, Bainbridge Papermat, tape.
Tape came off ok, no obvious discoloration there. Mat burn or UV damage on the front.

jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

Just took the lotus out and it was that cardboard trash pictured above. The staples were the worst part. Seriously, what kind of clownish frame shop doesn't have a point driver. I have one. They cost like $60.

https://www.amazon.com/Logan-Pro-Framin ... 3995737332

Glad I took the print out and now wish I would have taken in out when I bought it a couple years back. I had no idea it was so poorly framed.
Sdjosh
Punk

Post by Sdjosh »

Cardboard, different scotch tape job, loose staples floating behind the cardboard backing, the acrylic glazing is not big enough to fit the frame (see last pic)