Information about older silkscreens on wood/metal

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
no1gdman
Propaganda Engineer

Information about older silkscreens on wood/metal

Post by no1gdman »

Hey everyone,

I brought this up several years ago and can't find the thread, but wanted to ask again. For older silkscreens on wood/metal is it possible that Shep did multiple runs?

For example I have a Print & Destroy on wood from 2001 numbered 2/2. The exact same piece was listed on a website for several years and then sold at Heritage auctions in November of 2020. Is it possible that he made more than one run of the silkscreens on wood/metal for different galleries, shows, etc.?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Re: Information about older silkscreens on wood/metal

Post by jjttdw »

I've never heard it being done but if you also have 2/2, the only other explanation I can think of is that someone botched the numbering.

Awesome piece BTW.
vvk
Giant

Post by vvk »

no1gdman wrote:Hey everyone,

I brought this up several years ago and can't find the thread, but wanted to ask again. For older silkscreens on wood/metal is it possible that Shep did multiple runs?

For example I have a Print & Destroy on wood from 2001 numbered 2/2. The exact same piece was listed on a website for several years and then sold at Heritage auctions in November of 2020. Is it possible that he made more than one run of the silkscreens on wood/metal for different galleries, shows, etc.?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

had a similar situation happen to me with fail book covers , I have a flag on boiok cover which i thought was a one of one, just to see it being offered on heritage auctions a few weeks ago... wtf?
no1gdman
Propaganda Engineer

Post by no1gdman »

Yea I've exhausted all of my options in regard to contacting Shep/Obey directly. I got a different answer every time. They don't want to offer any help in regards to provenance/authentication, which kind of sucks, especially on these older pieces that are going up in value.
bigfuntimeuse
Punk

Post by bigfuntimeuse »

It is most-likely fake. Sell it to me.
no1gdman
Propaganda Engineer

Post by no1gdman »

$10k shipped? I'll throw in some fake stickers too.
bsharp
Posse

Post by bsharp »

no1gdman wrote:Yea I've exhausted all of my options in regard to contacting Shep/Obey directly. I got a different answer every time. They don't want to offer any help in regards to provenance/authentication, which kind of sucks, especially on these older pieces that are going up in value.
I sent Obey a scanned original 2005 handwritten invoice from Merry Karnowsky for my Iraq HPM, a signed letter from the seller transferring ownership to me, and photos of it. They wouldn’t even tell me it was authentic let alone send me a COA like I had requested.

If nothing else, take comfort in the fact that if you and I can’t do it, nobody can, and that’s just the way it’s going to be for these earlier works. The provenance above is almost as solid as it gets, and even then they won’t acknowledge it.
no1gdman
Propaganda Engineer

Post by no1gdman »

Yea mine is a similar situation. I have documents from the original owner who purchased both Print & Destroy and Visual Pollution Gas Mask directly from Jonathan Levine at Tin Man Alley (Cash for Chaos). The person I purchased them from is also friends with Jonathan Levine who vouched for everything.

I was more worried about the piece that sold at Heritage Auction. It was previously listed on Soak Your Buns website. I had asked them how they acquired it, but they never got back to me. I also let Obey know, but got no response.
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

lol, soak your buns....i forgot about that overpriced website. some nice stuff though.