We're Gettin' the Band Back Together!

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
halopigg
Giant

We're Gettin' the Band Back Together!

Post by halopigg »

What's up everyone?!? If you miss the old feels of having an Obey community, I suggest you get on the Obey Discord channel. It's pretty much like the forum but also with people that like NFT's. A growing number of TheGiant.org OG's have started to join and it's been great. Feel free to ask newb questions once you join, there are folks in place to help. The below link to join may go bad after a few days, if it doesn't work for you just holler at me via DM or on instagram and I'll shoot a link. See you all in the chat!

https://discord.gg/obey

halopigg
Who's got my old stickers?
Ilja
Propaganda Engineer

Re: We're Gettin' the Band Back Together!

Post by Ilja »

Hi Halo, thanks for reaching out

Just joined in on the Discord.
I can see that the physical verification is on hold at the moment.

I don't own any of the NFT's yet and I'm hella confused about this new $OBEY concept.
It seems like you can get a $OBEY token if you hold a NFT or you are being gifted it through the Discord channel, and if you hold a token you will be able to get perks for future drops, is that correct?

When all this NFT exploded a got dizzy trying to figure it out and never got started. But I guess Shep got me persuaded now :roll:
Sdjosh
Punk

Post by Sdjosh »

I was not around when this place was lively, but it still good to see some old faces on the discord !
halopigg
Giant

Post by halopigg »

Nice! Welcome! When physical verification comes back you'll want to take a pic with your user name written out in front of a limited signed and numbered piece to show proof of ownership. That will open two collector channels for you, I'm sure it will be unpaused soon. As far as the $OBEY coins go, it's all quite new so I don't know much. They started yesterday and were given out to several different groups of people on the discord in varying amounts via private links. There were several ways you could qualify and it was all a secret until it wasn't. You are correct in that they essentially exist as a form of social currency that at some point will be used to get access to digital things. I'm still a newb and only one month plus on owning an NFT but learning more every day.

Ilja wrote:Hi Halo, thanks for reaching out

Just joined in on the Discord.
I can see that the physical verification is on hold at the moment.

I don't own any of the NFT's yet and I'm hella confused about this new $OBEY concept.
It seems like you can get a $OBEY token if you hold a NFT or you are being gifted it through the Discord channel, and if you hold a token you will be able to get perks for future drops, is that correct?

When all this NFT exploded a got dizzy trying to figure it out and never got started. But I guess Shep got me persuaded now :roll:
Who's got my old stickers?
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

It has been implied that the $Obey coin might be a way to get access to prints and somehow avoid the insta sellout on drop day. NO idea if that will happen or how, but I'm hoping.
toobs wrote:FCUK U JOBUUUUU!!!
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

And the discord has definitely gotten me back in the game and the community. Didn't know how much I missed it until it was back
stinkypete
Giant

Post by stinkypete »

Yes join the discord and look out for known members posting on the PMA thread

And there are discord members looking to register here though that function is not working currently

Also shep and a number of his team are active on the discord so you can interact directly with them

Definitely worth a look- you don’t need to own and nft but it’s a great place to learn

Here is my very small collection but I knew nothing about these until a few months ago and I’m thick as

https://oncyber.io/peted
"Have you anything to say. No? Then shut up. Lest you are a woman in
which case carry on - It's delightful."
Simon Munnery
jak88
Giant

Post by jak88 »

And I didn't know how much I missed it ... until I got locked out of my Discord account for 5 days! The Obey Discord seems a great combination of long-time Shep collectors plus a whole new crop of folks drawn in via Shep's new digital art.
bdavenport wrote:And the discord has definitely gotten me back in the game and the community. Didn't know how much I missed it until it was back
And here's my collection of of Shep's digital art from this recently released Degenerate / Regenerate collection: https://oncyber.io/andre's-annex
stinkypete
Giant

Post by stinkypete »

That wall is stunning
"Have you anything to say. No? Then shut up. Lest you are a woman in
which case carry on - It's delightful."
Simon Munnery
Sdjosh
Punk

Post by Sdjosh »

It’s fun, and as someone who only formally joined here in 2016, it’s great to see some old heads.

I post there and IG under “thegiantcollection” look forward to interacting more.
jak88
Giant

Post by jak88 »

Ah, so you are the “thegiantcollection” in the Obey Discord ... OK, good to know!
Sdjosh wrote:It’s fun, and as someone who only formally joined here in 2016, it’s great to see some old heads.

I post there and IG under “thegiantcollection” look forward to interacting more.
jak88
Giant

Post by jak88 »

Boy did Ilja hit the jackpot right after he joined the Obey Discord ... There have been random giveaways of a new, very limited issue piece of digital art (an NFT) by Shep. And @Ilja won one of them.

First off, it's very cool ... and some here will immediately recognize its source image:

Second, it's worth in the neighborhood of $2K ... so that was a pretty nice welcome gift. Can't beat dumb luck sometimes! Enjoy Ilja!!
PDC
Giant

Post by PDC »

What's the point of the "physical verification"?
Can you add an avatar without joining Nitro?
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

Yes you can change avatar without nitro.

Physical verify gives access to collector channel which has way better/interesting conversation
PDC
Giant

Post by PDC »

bdavenport wrote:Yes you can change avatar without nitro.

Physical verify gives access to collector channel which has way better/interesting conversation
Thanks!
Do you know how I can update my avatar? When I try add to one, it says, "join nitro", then won't let me add it if I don't join.
DangerousBri
Swindler

Post by DangerousBri »

PDC wrote:

Thanks!
Do you know how I can update my avatar? When I try add to one, it says, "join nitro", then won't let me add it if I don't join.

Not that I really know what I'm doing on discord, but I click on my icon on the bottom right....brings up my account, then I click on my avatar, then there is an edit pencil over the avatar. The banner color editor requires Nitro. I believe Nitro will get you another role in the forum on the Obey Discord.
jak88
Giant

Post by jak88 »

1. Click the User Settings gear icon to the right of your profile (bottom left of the page next to your pfp)
2. Click purple Edit User Profile button
3. Click the small grey photo circle (Change Avatar) right next to your current profile pic
4. Click Upload File

Free, no Nitro needed.
PDC wrote:

Thanks!
PDC
Giant

Post by PDC »

Thanks for the help. I was tryin to upload a gif for my avatar which required Nitro registration.
JPG worked.
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

Still on the fence about joining the Obey discord? I just won some of the social coin they are using and would love to give you some to help entice you to join the future. I'll also gladly walk you through some of the processes. Send me a pm here.

Offer ends Friday at 11:59 pm PST. After that time I'll grab someone that's on the discord but missed the coin drop.
Ilja
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Ilja »

bdavenport wrote:Still on the fence about joining the Obey discord? I just won some of the social coin they are using and would love to give you some to help entice you to join the future. I'll also gladly walk you through some of the processes. Send me a pm here.

Offer ends Friday at 11:59 pm PST. After that time I'll grab someone that's on the discord but missed the coin drop.
Since I also won, I'll follow the great example of bdavenport, and give away $Obey social coins to a member of the board if there should be a second person who hasn't joined the discord server yet.
Shonquan
Giant

Post by Shonquan »

What are these social coins?
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

Great question! These are a crypto coin with no financial value but do have social value. While they haven't fully explained how they will be used there has been implications that there will be opportunities to "spend" them to get access to things. This could be early purchase opportunities, exclusive purchase opportunities, etc. It hasn't been fully explained but I know it will be cool and worth it.

You can't buy the token. They are given away for various things. They are to reward community participation, etc

Does that help?
Shonquan
Giant

Post by Shonquan »

bdavenport wrote:Great question! These are a crypto coin with no financial value but do have social value. While they haven't fully explained how they will be used there has been implications that there will be opportunities to "spend" them to get access to things. This could be early purchase opportunities, exclusive purchase opportunities, etc. It hasn't been fully explained but I know it will be cool and worth it.

You can't buy the token. They are given away for various things. They are to reward community participation, etc

Does that help?
Thanks bdavenport! I need to spend some time in the discord to figure stuff out. May reach out with any questions.
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

Cool. Want some obey coin? It's free.
jak88
Giant

Post by jak88 »

A couple of folks oughta take advantage of those offers by @ilja and @bdavenport ! Getting a small haul of these $Obey coins will be worth having soon enough.