We're Gettin' the Band Back Together!

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
anodyne13
Grumpy Old Man

Re: We're Gettin' the Band Back Together!

Post by anodyne13 »

OK. I'm an old man, but I'm in! If someone could PM me and let me know what to do/how it works, it would be much appreciated.
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

No need for a PM. This is the link for the Discord community. [Removed because I'm dumb. See below from Jak88 for link]

Once in, ask some questions in the place called #General. Or ask here.

The best first thing is to write your discord username on a piece of paper and then take a picture of that paper with a signed piece of Obey art (print or fine art). Post this picture in the place called physical-verify. This will get you access to the better places for conversation.
Last edited by bdavenport on Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toobs wrote:FCUK U JOBUUUUU!!!
anodyne13
Grumpy Old Man

Post by anodyne13 »

Ok. I clicked on the link now I’m in the VHils server. Is that where I’m supposed to be- maybe I did something wrong
jak88
Giant

Post by jak88 »

anodyne13 wrote:Ok. I clicked on the link now I’m in the VHils server. Is that where I’m supposed to be- maybe I did something wrong
Try this Discord link: https://discord.gg/obey

(fyi, you didn't do anything wrong. He just gave you the wrong Discord link ... though Vhils is awesome!)
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

anodyne13 wrote:Ok. I clicked on the link now I’m in the VHils server. Is that where I’m supposed to be- maybe I did something wrong
Well SH!T! SO SORRY! I thought I was in the obey discord when I copied the invite link. I'm really sorry. Turns out I'm really old too. We're all aging and learning together. Jak88 got you the right link though. Super sorry.
anodyne13
Grumpy Old Man

Post by anodyne13 »

jak88 wrote:
Try this Discord link: https://discord.gg/obey

(fyi, you didn't do anything wrong. He just gave you the wrong Discord link ... though Vhils is awesome!)
I clicked on this link and got to the obey site, but when I clicked to accept I received a message “The link is invalid or expired”
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

I think we're overcomplicating this. Go to the obey website. Scroll down to the bottom and you'll see the social media links. Click on discord link (looks like a video game controller or creepy mask).
anodyne13
Grumpy Old Man

Post by anodyne13 »

The one on the obey site didn’t seem to work either. Maybe it’s just me.
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

Let me ask on discord
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

anodyne13 wrote:The one on the obey site didn’t seem to work either. Maybe it’s just me.
Are you still on the vhils discord? I could friend you there and try to put the link in a pm on discord. Might work better. If so, what's your username?
anodyne13
Grumpy Old Man

Post by anodyne13 »

My username on discord is anodyne13. Thanks for the help!
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

Do you know the tag too? It will be the # and numbers after your username. Click on your name/icon to bring up your profile to get the info. So sorry it is this laborious for you. Definitely not my intention
anodyne13
Grumpy Old Man

Post by anodyne13 »

bdavenport wrote:Do you know the tag too? It will be the # and numbers after your username. Click on your name/icon to bring up your profile to get the info. So sorry it is this laborious for you. Definitely not my intention
Thank you for all your help. Tag is 4808
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

Request sent in discord.
Molotov Man
Black Book Gallery

Post by Molotov Man »

I got invited and can't figure it out. Can only read the news and not any threads.

OGKingMyles

Can anyone help?

text me if so...3o394one2458...
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

Text message sent
Molotov Man
Black Book Gallery

Post by Molotov Man »

I'm on!
anodyne13
Grumpy Old Man

Post by anodyne13 »

I got the invite and clicked it, but said it was an invalid invite “user was banned from this guild”. I’m really starting to think it’s something on my end.
bdavenport
punk

Post by bdavenport »

anodyne13 wrote:I got the invite and clicked it, but said it was an invalid invite “user was banned from this guild”. I’m really starting to think it’s something on my end.
Try again. I got them to remove you from the ban list. Some bots have been trying to get in and every once in a while the efforts catch someone that isn't a bot and inadvertantly bans them
anodyne13
Grumpy Old Man

Post by anodyne13 »

I'm in. Thank you to all!
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Some of the NFT kiddies are annoying AF.

There's an occasional entitlement issue or two from time to time in the Obey print-drop community, but HFS, these little NFT d00ds are spoon-feeders on steroids.

I joined, and if you're OG Obey, you probably should too (if for no other reason than to see a cool branch of where Shepard is taking his work), but bring your Xanax and a stiff drink.
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
stuckeyc37
Propaganda Engineer

Post by stuckeyc37 »

I dont see myself ever getting in on NFTs. Wish that the new MANW would get physical
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

stuckeyc37 wrote:I dont see myself ever getting in on NFTs.
I can see myself eventually picking one up to add to my overall Obey collection in the same way I have stickers, and clothing, and ephemera, and all the other whatnots as a part of the collection, too.

But as anything significant, proportionally? Probably not for me.

That doesn't mean it's not all very interesting, and I can certainly see how it would be to Shepard. Frictionless distribution, global reach, baked-in lifetime secondary market royalties, control of distribution, speed-to-market, digital (which is where all of his work that becomes "tangible" begins), etc., etc., etc. It would light my eyes up, so I know he and Amanda can see the whole picture even more clearly than I can.

I don't think it's being a Luddite, though, to want physical pieces to hang (and I'm not talking about backlit film-prints, or NFTs "hanging" inside digital frames).

The largest negative, at least to me, an admonkey, is if I was Shepard I'd be particularly concerned about the environmental cost as the whole energy-hog thing seems way off-brand.

An article in The Verge from a year ago claims the average NFT has a carbon footprint equivalent to more than a month’s worth of electricity for a person living in the EU. One NFT, one month.

When you're rolling out NFTs in editions of thousands at a time, that becomes super-significant, and more than a little ironic when it's done in a quantity of 8,900 for a Ukrainian benefit during a time when there's a global effort to ween ourselves from Russian energy imports (to say nothing of general carbon-based fuel dependency and global warming, both recurring themes in Shepard's work).

If the Verge article is close to accurate, the Ukraine NFT release represents nearly 750 years worth of electricity needed for one person, and that's crazy on a whole lot of levels.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/15/2232 ... ate-change

Anyway, just my thoughts.
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
anodyne13
Grumpy Old Man

Post by anodyne13 »

Great thoughts. I think I have come to the conclusion that NFTs are the mark in time where I have officially become "too old". I think perhaps the way the younger generations look at digital assets/goods is just completely different than my relationship with what I consider to be "real". Maybe NFT's are streaming music, and hanging paper and canvas on the wall is a vinyl collection.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

admonkey wrote:
stuckeyc37 wrote:I dont see myself ever getting in on NFTs.
I can see myself eventually picking one up to add to my overall Obey collection in the same way I have stickers, and clothing, and ephemera, and all the other whatnots as a part of the collection, too.

But as anything significant, proportionally? Probably not for me.

That doesn't mean it's not all very interesting, and I can certainly see how it would be to Shepard. Frictionless distribution, global reach, baked-in lifetime secondary market royalties, control of distribution, speed-to-market, digital (which is where all of his work that becomes "tangible" begins), etc., etc., etc. It would light my eyes up, so I know he and Amanda can see the whole picture even more clearly than I can.

I don't think it's being a Luddite, though, to want physical pieces to hang (and I'm not talking about backlit film-prints, or NFTs "hanging" inside digital frames).

The largest negative, at least to me, an admonkey, is if I was Shepard I'd be particularly concerned about the environmental cost as the whole energy-hog thing seems way off-brand.

An article in The Verge from a year ago claims the average NFT has a carbon footprint equivalent to more than a month’s worth of electricity for a person living in the EU. One NFT, one month.

When you're rolling out NFTs in editions of thousands at a time, that becomes super-significant, and more than a little ironic when it's done in a quantity of 8,900 for a Ukrainian benefit during a time when there's a global effort to ween ourselves from Russian energy imports (to say nothing of general carbon-based fuel dependency and global warming, both recurring themes in Shepard's work).

If the Verge article is close to accurate, the Ukraine NFT release represents nearly 750 years worth of electricity needed for one person, and that's crazy on a whole lot of levels.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/15/2232 ... ate-change

Anyway, just my thoughts.
If you just triggered another series of anti-petrol prints, I'm coming for you admonkey.
Last edited by cybernigel on Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman