New Clear Power - opening 11/5 in Munich!

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
bsharp
Posse

New Clear Power - opening 11/5 in Munich!

Post by bsharp »

New Clear Power, my first solo art show in Germany, addresses systems, forms, and notions of power that we must all carefully consider as we pursue our vision for an ideal personal and collective future. The artworks in New Clear Power utilize a range of mediums, including mixed-media paintings on canvas, stencil and collage unique works on paper, original illustrations, and prints on wood, metal, and collaged backgrounds. All of these art pieces, through imagery, symbols, and text, raise questions and voice concerns about various concepts of power. Power applies to the visual strategies used in the art as well. I render my images by reducing them to their most powerful essence. I choose colors, patterns, and icons that powerfully engage the viewer, and I write the text for my pieces using words that have the power of clear and concise communication.

My artwork is usually bold and loud, but there is power in the quiet and subtle moments of collage and texture that require the viewer to lean in and consider the layers beyond the obvious. The concepts of power represented in the subject matter of New Clear Power include abuse of power, power concentrated under capitalism, renewable power, political power, the power of creativity, power over information, and the power of controlling narrative. A primary focus of the work in New Clear Power is a critique of fossil fuel industries and their contribution to climate change and environmental decline.

In advance of the New Clear Power show, with the help of Positive Propaganda, I painted a 370-foot wide mural along a stretch of Munich’s city highway, which showcases a series of images relating to the oil industry and the urgency of transitioning to renewable sources of power. I create my art as a catalyst for dialog about important issues, but I believe that a stylistic and conceptual connection between my Munich murals and the content of the New Clear Power exhibition will generate deeper discussion not only about global warming and the financial power of the fossil fuel industries but also about the power of art to clearly articulate healthier paths forward. Thanks to Positive Propaganda & Overrated Art Inc. for making the art show happen! For more updates, please follow @amuseum_munich on Instagram.
–Shepard Fairey
bsharp
Posse

Re: New Clear Power - opening 11/5 in Munich!

Post by bsharp »

Really looking forward to this show!
dolamite24
Punk

Post by dolamite24 »

Also excited to see another impressive display of a wide range of works from Shep!
bsharp
Posse

Post by bsharp »

Snowden and Greta appear in new canvases.

nixon451
Giant

Post by nixon451 »

I think that is a great looking print, but 98 euros to ship to the US is crazy.

Especially considering, I have no idea if these people know how to ship a print.
Addict
Swindler

Post by Addict »

nixon451
Giant

Post by nixon451 »

Is it really sold out? I thought the shipping cost would guarantee this one would hang around for a while.
bsharp
Posse

Post by bsharp »

nixon451 wrote:Is it really sold out? I thought the shipping cost would guarantee this one would hang around for a while.
Yes, I think so. Also - not everybody who buys Shep’s stuff is US based. I’m sure a lot of EU based collectors finally got cheap shipping prices.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

Mine was shipped in a flimsy tube with no signature required that was dented and creased the print. I emailed Positive Propaganda and they were unhelpful.

The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
bsharp
Posse

Post by bsharp »

https://www.abendzeitung-muenchen.de/mu ... art-864911

It sounds like some commercial urban art places in Munich (who charge admission) complained about the city of Munich's funding contribution to Amuseum (which does not charge admission), and as a result, the funding (which was agreed upon before they opened) could be pulled by the city council, with Amuseum closing on Dec.31.
bsharp
Posse

Post by bsharp »

cybernigel wrote:Mine was shipped in a flimsy tube with no signature required that was dented and creased the print. I emailed Positive Propaganda and they were unhelpful.

I think they've been occupied with the above funding issues since late last week. Sucks about the tube, hopefully they're able to help you out soon.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

Thanks @bsharp. It looks like 99% of the run is for sale on the bay.
nixon451
Giant

Post by nixon451 »

cybernigel wrote:Thanks @bsharp. It looks like 99% of the run is for sale on the bay.
I'm pretty sure some of those on the bay are cheaper than what I paid, when you add in shipping.
bsharp
Posse

Post by bsharp »

nixon451 wrote:
cybernigel wrote:Thanks @bsharp. It looks like 99% of the run is for sale on the bay.
I'm pretty sure some of those on the bay are cheaper than what I paid, when you add in shipping.
The Amuseum version is different - it has the text on top. Shep’s version does not.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

I hear Andrew Tate bought the Greta...
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
bsharp
Posse

Post by bsharp »

admonkey wrote:I hear Andrew Tate bought the Greta...
lol you can’t be serious
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

bsharp wrote:
admonkey wrote:I hear Andrew Tate bought the Greta...
lol you can’t be serious
lol two angry weirdos
nixon451
Giant

Post by nixon451 »

bsharp wrote:
nixon451 wrote:
The Amuseum version is different - it has the text on top. Shep’s version does not.
I hadn't noticed that.

I went back and looked at the last couple of prints on the Obey Giant web site, and I guess $70 is the new $30. That was quite a surprise to me.