thegiant.org member art contest #2! VOTE HERE!!

Artist-members sharing their work.

which entries deserve to win? (vote for up to two entries)

Poll ended at Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:16 am

entry #1
2%
entry #2
2%
entry #3
9%
entry #4
14%
entry #5
4%
entry #6
7%
entry #7
11%
entry #8
6%
entry #9
10%
entry #10
14%
entry #11
3%
entry #12
6%
entry #13
1%
entry #14
5%
entry #15
7%

Total votes: 119

easycraig
Giant

Re: thegiant.org member art contest #2! VOTE HERE!!

Post by easycraig »

-great submissions everyone.... love the varied mediums this time!.

:D ec
A New Hot Girl Joins the Giant.org every minute!
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Re:

Post by Patillac13 »

illyanadmc wrote:alright, i was going to add the late entry to the poll, but the poll area says that ALL VOTES WILL BE RE-SET if any options are deleted or added... there are 59 votes at this point... what should i do?
I wouldn't mind re-voting, so they could get it, but I'm only 2 of the 59 votes...
"everyone needs to chill or I'm stopping the internet." - submit

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shopping on Amazon? Use this link and help thegiant.org!
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

-the only problem with re-voting is some folks may not vote ( the ones that already have)... -and folks may change their vote... - not that it matters...

one submission made me think it was paying homage to David Choe.... another paying homage to DAIN.

^ anyone else get the same feeling.... ? ec
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

^ The re-voting would be the only part that would change anything, because this time it's set up so we can change our votes anyways (so that would/could happen regardless).

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PDC
Giant

Re:

Post by PDC »

illyanadmc wrote:alright, i was going to add the late entry to the poll, but the poll area says that ALL VOTES WILL BE RE-SET if any options are deleted or added... there are 59 votes at this point... what should i do?
You could add it as #16 with some additional text that explains why it is not included in the voting.
That way it is included in the list and we can enjoy it.

Or reset the votes.
PDC
Giant

Re:

Post by PDC »

fribhey wrote:The Legendary Roots Crew is really cool but i think it would have been much much better without the giant star.
I think it would have been much better with Rahzel.
Kidding, it's bad a$s the way it is.
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Re: Re:

Post by illyanadmc »

PDC wrote:
You could add it as #16 with some additional text that explains why it is not included in the voting.
That way it is included in the list and we can enjoy it.

Or reset the votes.
good idea (the first part) - i added it to the post and included a note. i do apologize to the entrant that there was not a firmer deadline - there will definitely be one for the next contest, in order to prevent this sort of thing from happening!
i'm proud to be the shepherd of this herd of sharks.
Dizzyegg05
Giant

Post by Dizzyegg05 »

Personally id say tough cookies. If it aint on the list you aint coming in. I mean thats only fair. How much time does on need? seriously.
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Re:

Post by illyanadmc »

Dizzyegg05 wrote:Personally id say tough cookies. If it aint on the list you aint coming in. I mean thats only fair. How much time does on need? seriously.
to be fair, the entrant was going by the fact that i posted the last contest poll around 10AM, and he figured i wouldn't be up at 8AM on a sunday morning (which normally i am not; today was an exception). don't worry, there will be a FIRM deadline for future contests!
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

catch23 wrote:
fribhey wrote:The Legendary Roots Crew is really cool but i think it would have been much much better without the giant star.
I'm pretty sure this is what the artist was inspired by, and the addition of the Obey star makes it more of a homage to Obey like the category of the contest.

ImageImage

I thought it looked really great. I just don't know who to vote for yet. All you guys/girls kicked buttocks. I'm glad I didn't enter this time around! :shock:
i know exactly what it was inspired by, i just think it would look cooler without the giant star, especially since it's not a piece done by shepard....

that's all, just an opinion.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

catch23 wrote:Don't get me wrong, I liked the art aspect of #15 but I don't see how it goes with the theme of this contest... I just don't see the connection.
the theme isn't to rip off an obey piece and slap an obey logo on it. it's to do something that was inspired by obey, and that could be anything. shepard inspires me but he inspires me to create. i didn't have time to enter this month but if i did it wouldn't look anything like a typical obey piece.
dirtyd0369
Giant

Post by dirtyd0369 »

Nice work all!
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

fribhey wrote:
catch23 wrote:Don't get me wrong, I liked the art aspect of #15 but I don't see how it goes with the theme of this contest... I just don't see the connection.
the theme isn't to rip off an obey piece and slap an obey logo on it. it's to do something that was inspired by obey, and that could be anything. shepard inspires me but he inspires me to create. i didn't have time to enter this month but if i did it wouldn't look anything like a typical obey piece.
-yes, but the theme was to pay homage to Shepard.. - I think if the theme was to do a piece inspired by "Dain", #15 was right on.... -granted, Shepard uses a layering technique... but you could also say they both use 'paint' and thats the inspiration. Looking back on the first contest, I think the picture that won was right on in terms of the theme... we have some beautiful stuff this time around, but I think some of them miss the mark on the theme of the contest. - The work is wonderful, -don't get me wrong, its just not on cue for the description of the contest. - I think most of us expected to see something closer to obey,whether its theme related , a bite off of it, something similar, but different.... ( due to the description of the contest ) . -We can argue art interpretation until we are blue in the face, but I think some folks will have a hard time seeing the connection with some of these pieces based on the theme. Peace ec :D

ps. yes, i know i just said the same thing over three different ways in three different sentences... - my grammar and logical thinking has seriously dropped off since college. :roll:
catch23
Propaganda Engineer

Post by catch23 »

easycraig wrote:
fribhey wrote:
-yes, but the theme was to pay homage to Shepard.. - I think if the theme was to do a piece inspired by "Dain", #15 was right on.... -granted, Shepard uses a layering technique... but you could also say they both use 'paint' and thats the inspiration. Looking back on the first contest, I think the picture that won was right on in terms of the theme... we have some beautiful stuff this time around, but I think some of them miss the mark on the theme of the contest. - The work is wonderful, -don't get me wrong, its just not on cue for the description of the contest. - I think most of us expected to see something closer to obey,whether its theme related , a bite off of it, something similar, but different.... ( due to the description of the contest ) . -We can argue art interpretation until we are blue in the face, but I think some folks will have a hard time seeing the connection with some of these pieces based on the theme. Peace ec :D

ps. yes, i know i just said the same thing over three different ways in three different sentences... - my grammar and logical thinking has seriously dropped off since college. :roll:
What EC said, I guess I just expected more of an "do an obey print your way" type theme and personally I don't think I would ever see Shep do something like #15 but I could be wrong.

I have no problem with the piece, I think it looks great. I think there is more of a Warhol to Shepard connection rather than just the Shepard connection, but that's just how I see it.

As for #4, I think we're both entitled to our opinion but I just was pointing that out there for those who cared to see the comparison...
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

-late entry! (just joking) my daughter drew this on her leg when she was waiting for me while i was in a gallery today. ( she is 8 yrs old ) - She just showed it to me tonight..... I got a kick out of it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ec

Dizzyegg05
Giant

Post by Dizzyegg05 »

easycraig wrote:-late entry! (just joking) my daughter drew this on her leg when she was waiting for me while i was in a gallery today. ( she is 8 yrs old ) - She just showed it to me tonight..... I got a kick out of it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ec

Ok i take back all i said about late comers. EC's daughter wins. (not EC, he loses) ! :lol:
extremeimages77
Giant

Post by extremeimages77 »

great job everyone...even if they are a little off topic
"Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded.
Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth
or fourteenth."
catch23
Propaganda Engineer

Post by catch23 »

illyanadmc wrote: entry #16

title: obey nature
size: 24" x 28"
medium: acrylic on hardboard

Wow I just noticed this, it looks great! I really dig the color orange.
boog1
Posse

Post by boog1 »

Why come I only see these contest posts after all entries are submitted? Am I missing something?
illyanadmc
Official Cupcake Maker!

Re:

Post by illyanadmc »

boog1 wrote:Why come I only see these contest posts after all entries are submitted? Am I missing something?
yup! the threads are always stickies in "pretty vacant" and are up for a few weeks before the deadline. keep an eye out on that subforum after the winner is declared here, and you will see the thread for the next contest.
Rib$
Punk

Post by Rib$ »

I think if the theme was to do a piece inspired by "Dain", #15 was right on.
i agree with that I've never seen dain before but it does look like his style
destroyeric
Giant

Post by destroyeric »

Great job by everyone. I was totally expecting some more Obey style art, more entries like the Roots stencils, the Protest March, vision, Mccaint, i'm vegarian, even the Andre Cigar box. But it's all for fun, so who cares. :)
trkr2007 wrote:so will someone let us know if this print is going to drop i need to get a haircut.....
ak47
Punk

Post by ak47 »

nice entries this week!

how many more than last week? (too lazy to look it up ...) :D

I was thinking it would be nice to have "artist statements" after the vote, quick blurbs on why they did their particular piece and what material and techniques they used. Maybe even some artist tips.
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

ak47 wrote:nice entries this week!

how many more than last week? (too lazy to look it up ...) :D

I was thinking it would be nice to have "artist statements" after the vote, quick blurbs on why they did their particular piece and what material and techniques they used. Maybe even some artist tips.
-that would be great.... -just to hear why the person went in that (their) particular direction. ec
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

^ I'm in for the artist statement at the end, that sounds like it'd be neat to read up on everyones!