Drink Never Let Me Down Before.

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Drink Never Let Me Down Before.

Post by admonkey »

I was in one of the warehouse districts of Dallas yesterday, dropping off a new baby at my framer's, and swung by one of the very local, very artist-friendly bars in the area, The Amsterdam Bar.

I was there for a little celebration of sorts (dropping off the piece for framing = any excuse will do) and managed to arrive at the bar just in time to art direct a photo shoot they were doing for a local publication (completely unplanned on my part). The photographer was a young kid and, after the shoot, we sat around for a few minutes talking art.

He does graffiti (and showed me some pieces, a few of which reminded me of Mike Giant) and I mentioned Shepard.

He asked if I knew The Public Trust-- you might know them by their old name, "Art Prostitute"-- and I said of course. Well, he said, they have a Shepard Fairey piece.

Now, I drop in to the gallery once or twice a month and, knowing their inventory, I didn't put much weight in what he said. Enough to plan to drop by sooner or later, but not before I finished my beer (if you know what I mean).

Well today I popped in to see for myself. It was around 2:30 or so and I hadn't had lunch. I thought about eating at one of my favorite haunts first; maybe have another beer. Or two.

But I didn't put much stock in what the kid said, anyway, so taking five minutes to hear "no, nothing like that" wouldn't put me too far off my beer and tequila schedule. Besides, this was 24 hours after he'd broken the news to me the day before. I might as well just get the academic exercise over with, right?

So I open the door to hear the familiar "beeeeeep" of the 'I'm in a questionable neighborhood' door chime, and the little gallery girl comes out to see if I'm a wino bum or someone with money (a little of both, as it happens).

Almost apologetically, because I already know the answer, I go into my story about the bar, and the kid, and the art, and the story... about them possibly, maybe, it couldn't be, right? Fairey piece.

"Oh, sure! We have one! Want to see it?"

Do pigs fly out of the Pope's a^s when he's dreaming at night? Of course I do.

She leads me back into the storeroom, a place I've been more than two dozen times, never once seeing anything by Fairey, and over to this: an Angela Davis HPM, 15/20.

I forgot I was hungry. I forgot I was thirsty. I even forgot my hands had a tremble in them from a lack of essential organic hydroxyl group compounds (look it up).

"So, uh, how much do you want for it?" I gamely asked, sounding a little like a pre-pubescent clarinet player.

"Let me go check," came her well-informed response.

An eternity later, she returned.

"It was sold an hour ago."

I flashed back to the previous day, Friday afternoon, at The Amsterdam Bar. A bar that's only a handful of blocks away from the gallery. An easy trip. Some might even call it a skip and a hop. A jaunt.

Beer, a good friend of mine for two decades or more, has never let me down until this weekend. And beer googles will never make Angela look better than she did today.
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
noetic
Giant

Post by noetic »

very well told story, do you know how much it went for?
I Rock The Mic Like It's My Last Chance To Breathe
Display A Level Of Skill You Could Only Hope To Achieve
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Re:

Post by admonkey »

noetic wrote:very well told story, do you know how much it went for?
No.

I asked. She offered to go back and ask (again). I declined. I figured, at that point, it really didn't matter.

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
C.Morrison
Propaganda Engineer

Re: Drink Never Let Me Down Before.

Post by C.Morrison »

D@MN!
circa77
Giant

Post by circa77 »

I HATE THIS STORY!
Wanted: Obey prints on Postal Paper
stinkypete
Giant

Post by stinkypete »

it's like "terms of endearment " only with a more depressing ending
:(
"Have you anything to say. No? Then shut up. Lest you are a woman in
which case carry on - It's delightful."
Simon Munnery
James Reeves
Posse

Post by James Reeves »

things like this and hecox originals and prints have a habit of never getting noticed at the public trust
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Re:

Post by conartstudio »

James Reeves wrote:things like this and hecox originals and prints have a habit of never getting noticed at the public trust
that's probably because they don't email people back. i emailed then a while ago about the two carts print along with a few hecox originals that didn't say "sold" on the site.... they never emailed me back and then one day the two carts print showed up for sale online.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Re: Re:

Post by admonkey »

fribhey wrote:
James Reeves wrote:things like this and hecox originals and prints have a habit of never getting noticed at the public trust
that's probably because they don't email people back. i emailed then a while ago about the two carts print along with a few hecox originals that didn't say "sold" on the site.... they never emailed me back and then one day the two carts print showed up for sale online.
Don't feel bad; I've never received a local phone call from them and I've had my preferences on their list for some time. Obviously they're selling to someone, I just have no idea who it is. Whenever I drop by to see what's on the walls or in the back, I'm always the only person there (outside of the staff).

Not that they're not incredibly nice people. They are. Very accommodating in letting you go through their full inventory and I appreciate it.

But without the phone calls and emails, it's a little like being forced to go through the bargain bin at an outlet store every week in hopes of timing your visit just right (and without the "bargain" part, of course).

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
Mira263
Giant

Post by Mira263 »

its a tragic comedy. thats a freaking awesome piece!!!
IG - ATXjeweler
Reverend ToneZone
Giant

Post by Reverend ToneZone »

What a heart breaking tale!
Check out the collection, wants, trades, and feedback . . .
http://www.expressobeans.com/public/member.php?id=8633" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong." -George Carlin R.I.P.
Typhoon
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Typhoon »

This guy bought it!

http://forum.thegiant.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If you can't laugh at yourself, Make fun of other people." Bobby Slayton

"Hey your dreams and all you work for is a joke." Baxterpoop

http://www.expressobeans.com/members/co ... hp?id=9037
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

That would've been a neat trick, for sure.

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
Solar
Giant

Post by Solar »

It was there for months and it wasn't overly cheap. I talked to them about buying it a while ago and it was $3K plus shipping. Not too bad, but, as stated, it is an edition of 20.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Re:

Post by admonkey »

Solar wrote:It was there for months and it wasn't overly cheap. I talked to them about buying it a while ago and it was $3K plus shipping. Not too bad, but, as stated, it is an edition of 20.
That's news to me. I've been to the gallery several times over the "months" and no mention was ever made of it. In all the times I popped in to look at Hecox's work or the big Kinsey particleboard piece upstairs, Brian should/would/could have said something.

If true, he's off my Christmas card list. :lol:

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
Solar
Giant

Post by Solar »

Here ya go - under Past Exhibitions > One Up on trustthepublic.com. I enquired and ended up passing on 12/6/07.

mr_balut
Posse

Post by mr_balut »

Truly a somber tale...
What a beautiful piece.
Defy+ "It's my wife's fault I battle Obey's shopping cart!"
email: paypal.swords@gmail.com
http://www.jade-swords.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-----------
WTB:
OBEY:
Burmese Monk
Pow(er)
Dali Lama
Elephant
Palestine / Israeli
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Hmm. Same piece for sure, but when I saw it it had been framed (thick, chunky black frame and matte).

I wonder if it had been purchased and then returned to the gallery for private re-sale.

EDIT: just read the description and saw the (framed). Still, I wonder if it was a returned piece. I'll have to check.

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
Solar
Giant

Re:

Post by Solar »

admonkey wrote:Hmm. Same piece for sure, but when I saw it it had been framed (thick, chunky black frame and matte).

I wonder if it had been purchased and then returned to the gallery for private re-sale.

EDIT: just read the description and saw the (framed). Still, I wonder if it was a returned piece. I'll have to check.
It very well could have been a resale. I have a tiny twinge of regret over not buying it at the time. I was close, but pulled the trigger on another pricey piece and couldn't swing it.
havana
Swindler

Post by havana »

... Sorry, just caught up on this story and what a tale!
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Thanks for digging up the sad memory.

At least I eventually got the piece back from the framer that I mentioned in the story.

Odd timing, too; will be at the Public Trust this afternoon to help them price some pretties. I'll take photos.

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
thecsoldier
Punk

Post by thecsoldier »

hope you at least went back for a drink after that. great story!
Its that warriors vs. baseball fury element to glitch his motor sensory development
I am a star, really.
The big bang bastard's back with a one way ticket to Beat Street.
Abrogate
Giant

Re:

Post by Abrogate »

Mira263 wrote:its a tragic comedy. thats a freaking awesome piece!!!
:shock: beautiful piece. thanks for sharing the pics am.
"the greatest form of sanity anyone can exercise is to resist the force that is trying to repress,oppress and fight down the human spirit."-Mumia Abu Jamal
kingburdy
Obey Addict

Post by kingburdy »

That was quite the tale with a bummer of an ending.

Don't you get that cracked out feeling when someone tells you about a Shep piece in your area that you might have overlooked or popped up mysteriously? I can't think of any thing else after that. I'm assuming you've herd it all before with nothing at the end of the rainbow..

I feel your pain, so close yet so far..Thanks for sharing your experience!!!
QKocur
Giant

Post by QKocur »

sad story... thanks for sharing it