!OFFICIAL! Duality of Humanity !ANTICIPATION THREAD!

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
Bobak
Propaganda Engineer

Re: !OFFICIAL! Duality of Humanity !ANTICIPATION THREAD!

Post by Bobak »

Zaragoza wrote:there has got to be a better way to do this.
There is, they're just unwilling to pursue it.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Re:

Post by conartstudio »

doc biz wrote:Ok,
I've been purchasing off his site for over a year,
I've been lingering on these boards for a while but never say anything,
So what, I'm venting a little bit on this board, the reason being cus I can't vent to obey or anywhere else, it will do me no good. Yea I'm doing a little whining but isn't it justified? I believe I wasn't the only 1 who has been F5ing for 3 days straight and having the pressure of snagging this print nag me.
What should I say? "wow what a great experience, I hope the next print takes 3 days of waiting to get again!"
NO, I'm a litle frustrated thats all.
I've been reading this thread since it started and seen all the complaints about the garbage-like cart system and why do they use this process and so on, so I don't see why you guys get bitchy with me when I make a general comment about this all being horrible, which you HAVE TO admit it is, unless you enjoy sitting around 3 days. In all honesty, even if I got it I'd still have room to complain, 3 days after the original release date is still 3 days after the release date.

And thanks for the welcome
no, you can vent because it's understood that you are frustrated, EVERYONE here is frustrated... but calling obey "dickbags" is uncalled for. everyone is in the same boat and yes the current server/cart system is not working flawlessly but obey was doing everything they could to release this print including working on a saturday... acting like a little child by calling obey or anyone here names will not win over any sympathy.
truthiness
Giant

Post by truthiness »

The only thing I see wrong with the system as it exists today is that step going back to select shipping method. That just makes you jump through twice as many steps as you need to.

I'd like to see some site stats for these sales to actually see how many people are trying for the prints. If the number of people is like 300, I'd say yeah, the system pretty much sucks. But if it's 3000 people, well, then I'd say the system works pretty well considering the demand.

I'd also say that based on what I read on OG's webhost's site, that these burstable traffic patterns should really not present any challenges in terms of server side stuff.
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. -- George Orwell
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Re:

Post by admonkey »

truthiness wrote:The only thing I see wrong with the system as it exists today is that step going back to select shipping method. That just makes you jump through twice as many steps as you need to.
That would be a good place to start, particularly since there's only one shipping method. The step where you log in to PayPal should give them all the info they need to determine if it's domestic or international shipping, and since there's only one option for each, streamlining there makes sense.

truthiness wrote:I'd like to see some site stats for these sales to actually see how many people are trying for the prints. If the number of people is like 300, I'd say yeah, the system pretty much sucks. But if it's 3000 people, well, then I'd say the system works pretty well considering the demand.
I agree. I think we'd be shocked to learn what the real numbers are for people trying for the prints, not to mention the likelihood of multiple open connections to the server for each person trying.
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
Raggadrop
Propaganda Engineer

Re:

Post by Raggadrop »

truthiness wrote:The only thing I see wrong with the system as it exists today is that step going back to select shipping method. That just makes you jump through twice as many steps as you need to.
and I thought that was just for me. Yeah, that step makes no sense to me. Hasn't always been that way. Could swear I got a few without the double confirmation in-between some with that step. I am buying too many of these prints. :lol:
Dizzyegg05
Giant

Re: Re:

Post by Dizzyegg05 »

admonkey wrote:
I agree. I think we'd be shocked to learn what the real numbers are for people trying for the prints

truthiness
Giant

Re:

Post by truthiness »

doc biz wrote:Ok,
I've been purchasing off his site for over a year,
I've been lingering on these boards for a while but never say anything,
So what, I'm venting a little bit on this board, the reason being cus I can't vent to obey or anywhere else, it will do me no good. Yea I'm doing a little whining but isn't it justified? I believe I wasn't the only 1 who has been F5ing for 3 days straight and having the pressure of snagging this print nag me.
What should I say? "wow what a great experience, I hope the next print takes 3 days of waiting to get again!"
NO, I'm a litle frustrated thats all.
I've been reading this thread since it started and seen all the complaints about the garbage-like cart system and why do they use this process and so on, so I don't see why you guys get bitchy with me when I make a general comment about this all being horrible, which you HAVE TO admit it is, unless you enjoy sitting around 3 days. In all honesty, even if I got it I'd still have room to complain, 3 days after the original release date is still 3 days after the release date.

And thanks for the welcome
OG's been more than responsive during this whole thing and have tried to do the right thing. I appreciate your frustration, but the name calling is childish.

Practice good karma and good things will come your way.
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. -- George Orwell
Bobak
Propaganda Engineer

Re:

Post by Bobak »

truthiness wrote:So how many hours have each of you put in towards this print?
If I value the print at what a person in my occupation (lawyer) and level charges per hour, it would get very scary, very quickly. :P

Their online store is an embarrassment. There are plenty of ways around it, but they choose not to go down that path (until, I assume the current system becomes completely untenable) --hell, there will be people clamoring for these no matter what the broken system they decide to use. With that said, I think anyone who tries this system has every right and reason to complain about it, because it comes as a shock to most people who conduct transactions via other internet stores. I just hope Obey continues to tweak and fix their online store, because in its current state it doesn't speak highly for their opinion/concern for their fans.
Last edited by Bobak on Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dizzyegg05
Giant

Post by Dizzyegg05 »

truthiness wrote:

Practice good karma and good things will come your way.

doc biz
Punk

Post by doc biz »

difference of opinion fribhey.
Because I think it is called for, maybe not specifically calling them dickbags, but voicing disapproval is called for in order to make a change occur. Also I don't think they're doing everything they can, working on saturdays doesn't impress me neither, they brought that on themselves by having a poor system in place. Go back through this thread and you'll see I'm not the only 1 who feels they should really invest in either improving their cart system, and/or changing how they drop the print (I back the random drop method, without ever having a specific drop date listed). I don't care if it isn't working flawlessly but a 3 day delay, that is just not cool.
How do you know Obey did everything they could? you were there when they were trying to push it out? If so why didn't you tell them in person that their method sucks.
truthiness
Giant

Post by truthiness »

I think the nature of the sales process adds a certain value to the print. If they were easy to get, I don't think anyone would want one. Be careful what you wish for. They could put in place a system with instant access for the first 3xx people who connected and the sales process could be over with in a few seconds.

At least with the current system, there is some wiggle room, albeit hectic wiggle room, that gives you more than one chance if you happen to screw up. I'm not saying it's perfect or the best, but it could be worse.
Last edited by truthiness on Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bobak
Propaganda Engineer

Re:

Post by Bobak »

truthiness wrote:I think the nature of the sales process adds a certain value to the print. If they were easy to get, I don't think anyone would want one.
No, I disagree. No one on the market for an Obama print gives a durn that the online store that released it was highly problematic. They only care about classic supply and demand.

[EDIT: quoted you too early :p I want to also say that, if it does turn into the first three or four hundred people to get there get it, it would be much better than hours (or now days) of wondering if we'll ever get it]
Last edited by Bobak on Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raggadrop
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Raggadrop »

I like the current system just fine... That said, OBEY could have done a few things with this particular release to spare folks wasting their time.
sti2relaxxin
Posse

Re:

Post by sti2relaxxin »

I completely agree. I must have gotten to the paypal site 20 times and I never successfully was able to complete all the steps. Luckily I had my fiance on her computer as well and she was able to snag one. It would be interesting to get a valid explanation from OG as to why they keep using this failed system. Maybe they have a good reason? Not likely, but there is a reason.
I love my STi.
thestash
Punk

Post by thestash »

fribhey wrote:
thestash wrote:Any theory on your order time/# relating to the print number you get. (mods please split if wrong thread to ask)
there is absolutely no correlation between your order number or order time and the print number you get... it's all random, plus some prints are held back to be sold at subliminal and other places like ducky's and arkitip. the order number itself is just a continual order count for the shopping cart system, there are never two order numbers a like - and there shouldn't be.
Thanks.

I am on the same page with the order numbers never being the same, etc. But it is my understanding that some artists/shippers will pull off a stack that sits in # order. Now if the pics of the tubes several pages back, looks like they (OG) have them ready to go and they just start pulling em. Either way it seems to ship within a few days of release and that I value. Helps the pain of being denied or spending hours refreshing.

ON this other topic of hate for shep's system, you just have to embrace the fact that you are rolling the dice, and make it fun/laughable.
:idea: Anyone willing to get an interview with Shep and ask him why this seems to be a perpetual problem? :idea:
I almost would rather have the "maybe/hope" than it being like cake. It reminds me of getting to the show early, not to rail ride, but rather to sprint to the merch table and scoop up a freshy show print.

And since it is Saturday!
As the great MURS and Z-Trip put out there... "Your takin this sh%t to serious, It's (insert "prints" here) it's f**king fun!" :D
"Hey Kool-Aid!"... (Walls crashing) "OH YEAH!"
doc biz
Punk

Post by doc biz »

Also my apologies for the namecalling, in all honesty that was me 2 minutes after waking up with a hangover, logging onto the site and seeing "out of stock" next to the poster I spend 3 days trying for. If I waited a few more minutes I'm sure the "dickbag" part of my complaint wouldn't have been added but I was pretty heated. If you minus my "childish" slur towards obey you'd have to admit myself and everyone else who is fed up with this system have a reason to complain.
Raggadrop
Propaganda Engineer

Re:

Post by Raggadrop »

doc biz wrote:Also my apologies for the namecalling, in all honesty that was me 2 minutes after waking up with a hangover
Time to stop drinking?
doc biz
Punk

Post by doc biz »

your right, on friday night I should start having tea parties instead
Raggadrop
Propaganda Engineer

Re:

Post by Raggadrop »

doc biz wrote:your right, on friday night I should start having tea parties instead
Straightedge and always get prints...and have plenty cash to do so. Going to watch fires downtown Providence.
brintoul
Giant

Post by brintoul »

Raggadrop wrote:
doc biz wrote:Also my apologies for the namecalling, in all honesty that was me 2 minutes after waking up with a hangover
Time to stop drinking?
No way! Don't be a quitter!
Swindler

Post by ROBTWIN666 »

Whoops, I kind of missed the boat on this release... I think the 3 hour, The Roots concert I saw last night makes up for it. My sister was pregnant there, so they gave us a VIP table right next to the stage!!!

Hope everyone had fun with the bun fight. Haven't seen a release this fubar in a while.
MunkeyPants
Giant

Post by MunkeyPants »

Even though I didn't get a confirmation, i was glad the print actually dropped when they said it would. Sitting for hours on end refreshing hoping you get lucky is a waste of everyone's time.

My biggest complaint with the system as is is simply the need to go back a select the shipping method. This is where my crashes started and then I spent an hour in the last page trying to checkout. Lessons learned.

Ultimately, it's a piece of paper. There will be another one next week. And yet another the week after that. I'll get what I can. I'll never be gleeful over getting a print again when someone didn't, that's for certain.

Thanks to all the the board for the infotainment in this thread while we waited. It's been interesting.
Submit. Rapture.
thestash
Punk

Post by thestash »

Can this thread break 100 pages?!?
"Hey Kool-Aid!"... (Walls crashing) "OH YEAH!"
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G4O5AMSevc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"everyone needs to chill or I'm stopping the internet." - submit

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shopping on Amazon? Use this link and help thegiant.org!
Bonesy
Giant

Post by Bonesy »

I havent read 1 page here, let alone 93 pages. Ive defended the Obey cart system for the past year and a half, but personally Im done with it. At this point it is f-ing ridiculous that they dont take the profits from 1 week of sales (there are probably 45 sale weeks in a year at this point) and seriously re-vamp there system, for real this time. I really didnt dig this print too much, but if there is something I want I'll get it on ebay. There are so many people buying these just to immediately re-sell that Im willing to pay the $100-$125 instead of wasting 3 days.
"Think about it: Andre drank 119 beers in six hours. Thats a beer every three minutes, non-stop. That's beyond epic. It's beyond the ken of mortal men. It's god-like."
-Modern Drunkard Magazine Sept/ Oct 2006