!OFFICIAL! Duality of Humanity !ANTICIPATION THREAD!

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
whyhoo
itsame

Re: !OFFICIAL! Duality of Humanity !ANTICIPATION THREAD!

Post by whyhoo »

whizzodust wrote:Why doesn't OG just open an eBay store? They could *very* easily post a print in there, at a specific time, specific quantity.

Ebay and paypal can handle the traffic.

Prints would probably be gone in a few minutes or less. No fuss no muss. Everybody's happy.
And it would probably be cheaper for OG overall. PayPal is already getting a cut.
few minutes? try a few seconds at MOST!!!

i agree though - this is a great idea. too easy!
on point like a decimalist?
saintjordan
Propaganda Engineer

Post by saintjordan »

whyhoo wrote:
whizzodust wrote:Why doesn't OG just open an eBay store? They could *very* easily post a print in there, at a specific time, specific quantity.

Ebay and paypal can handle the traffic.

Prints would probably be gone in a few minutes or less. No fuss no muss. Everybody's happy.
And it would probably be cheaper for OG overall. PayPal is already getting a cut.
few minutes? try a few seconds at MOST!!!

i agree though - this is a great idea. too easy!
bad idea, very bad idea. the system they have works because it doesnt work. only the most persistent people get the prints. It works this way, gives everybody who really wants it a fighting chance. :D
Employ Cognitive Dissidence

"Why would solar power make him sick? Is he a republican?" -Michael J. Caboose
truthiness
Giant

Post by truthiness »

OG would never sell side by side with flippers. And then you'd have the imitators, and it would be a mess.

I never thought I'd see the day when people would be recommending eBay as a first choice for opening a web store. All that would happen would be the 'Wii effect'. There would be a select group of 'hoarders' who would drain the market and artificially inflate prices. Do you think THAT would be a good thing? I think the only way to limit 1 poster per person on eBay would be to actually have individual listings for single prints. Imagine trying to scramble to get one... talk about a lottery system!

Who do you usually respect more? The guy who is in the right place at the right time, or the guy who works his buttocks off to get what he has? I think the whole OG store process is part of the experience. We've all won some, and we've all fallen short, but the difficulty in getting a print makes actually getting it that much sweeter.

It builds character. :lol:
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. -- George Orwell
cheap cologne
Giant

Post by cheap cologne »

saintjordan wrote:
bad idea, very bad idea. the system they have works because it doesnt work. only the most persistent people get the prints. It works this way, gives everybody who really wants it a fighting chance. :D

NOT TRUE... I was very persistant, I have been SINCE WEDNESDAY.

I tried today... for almost 2 hours I was fighting, I had it in my cart and at paypal.com trying to check out MULTIPLE TIMES and frickin' paypal would not let me check out because the obeygiant site was wack... kept getting errors.
I would go thru it all again and same thing kept happening until it was sold out.
I got a 8mb connection and could not get it no matter what I did.

I left the house today annoyed.

I easily wasted 6 hours+ on this release and got nothing. (yes I am bitter)
There has got to be a better system than this.
WORST DROP EVER.
Last edited by cheap cologne on Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
jshea
Propaganda Engineer

Re:

Post by jshea »

truthiness wrote:first $1500 takes this one...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Obey-Giant-DUALITY- ... dZViewItem" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I will choke a b*tch like Wayne Brady if that thing sells.
saintjordan
Propaganda Engineer

Post by saintjordan »

cheap cologne wrote:
saintjordan wrote:

NOT TRUE... I was very persistant, I have been SINCE WEDNESDAY.

I tried today... for almost 2 hours I was fighting, I had it in my cart and at paypal.com trying to check out MULTIPLE TIMES and frickin' paypal would not let me check out because the obeygiant site was wack... kept getting errors.
I would go thru it all again and same thing kept happening until it was sold out.
I got a 8mb connection and could not get it no matter what I did.

I left the house today annoyed.

I easily wasted 6 hours+ on this release and got nothing. (yes I am bitter)
There has got to be a better system than this.
WORST DROP EVER.
All you had to do was keep hitting refresh when those errors came and not the back button ;)
Employ Cognitive Dissidence

"Why would solar power make him sick? Is he a republican?" -Michael J. Caboose
Petro
Swindler

Post by Petro »

Aside from the 3 days of anticipation, I thought the actual drop today went quite well. I had a obey confirmation email within 15 minutes of the drop. I've never had an obey checkout go so smoothly. That said, I think it's part persistence and part luck of the draw. The print I really wanted was rock the vote, but didn't get one because I couldn't get through checkout. Did I have a freakout and start name calling the folks at obey? No. I think we need to all accept that there is a limited amount of prints and we are not ALL going to get one every time a new print drops.
cheap cologne
Giant

Post by cheap cologne »

saintjordan wrote: All you had to do was keep hitting refresh when those errors came and not the back button ;)
I was f5'ing like a MFer..
brintoul
Giant

Post by brintoul »

cheap cologne wrote:
saintjordan wrote: All you had to do was keep hitting refresh when those errors came and not the back button ;)
I'm still of the opinion that that is a bad idea. Click and wait. Maybe try with 2-3 tabs/windows, but refreshing madly will get you nowhere fast.
Giant

Post by cheap cologne »

Petro wrote: Did I have a freakout and start name calling the folks at obey? No. I think we need to all accept that there is a limited amount of prints and we are not ALL going to get one every time a new print drops.
I dunno if that was directed towards me or not... but I never said anything about anyone at Obey.
I did say this was the worst drop ever and I was upset because I have been trying and wasting time since wed to get the print... then, to get so close and keep getting denied was more than frustrating.

I guess I am better off buying from ebay and trading on EB and paying a little more to avoid all the headaches and hassle.

It just sucks people who actually want to keep the print get denied and that all these flippers are now selling for 600-1500 for something they bought today for 35bucks.

I would pay 100-150... but come on.

F*%K FLIPPERS.
cheap cologne
Giant

Post by cheap cologne »

brintoul wrote:
cheap cologne wrote:
I'm still of the opinion that that is a bad idea. Click and wait. Maybe try with 2-3 tabs/windows, but refreshing madly will get you nowhere fast.

I agree with you... but today, I tried everything.
Nothing worked.
I tried both ways... waiting until everything loaded, and f5ing.

Both ways = screwed.
cheap cologne
Giant

Post by cheap cologne »

Maybe Shepard should just do a couple sets of Kobe prints for the next few months and I can avoid headaches and save money at the same time. :wink:

Not a chance in hell am I paying more than $150 for the Duality print.
According to ebay, that will never happen.
Bring Wayne Brady into this conversation.

So now.. I am over it I guess because I have to be.
Bonesy
Giant

Re: Re:

Post by Bonesy »

tomoko wrote:
Bonesy wrote:I havent read 1 page here, let alone 93 pages. Ive defended the Obey cart system for the past year and a half, but personally Im done with it. At this point it is f-ing ridiculous that they dont take the profits from 1 week of sales (there are probably 45 sale weeks in a year at this point) and seriously re-vamp there system, for real this time. I really didnt dig this print too much, but if there is something I want I'll get it on ebay. There are so many people buying these just to immediately re-sell that Im willing to pay the $100-$125 instead of wasting 3 days.
let me start off with this: yes! i will admit to being a hardcore lurker here. but i just really have to add my 2 cents to the way you guys feel!

for those of us/you that have been trying for shepard's prints for some time now, you have already gone through the emotional roller coaster of attempting to buy, buying & miserably failing to buy prints. do the words peace bomber bring back any memories? what about hope? personally, i really enjoy this cart system and/or the way that the guys @ studio 1 release these prints. how many fairweather fans have hung around 3 days to buy this print? imo, more of the true fans and/or extreme flippers stick around to buy these things. hopefully it's the 'more true fans' and not the latter. just look at how many of you are fed up with the system & claim to be 'done' with all of this! i think that this is exactly what they want. you know as well as i do that they could upgrade their servers, cart system etc whenever they want. they have just chosen not to. and for very good reason. look at the demand. look at the supply. then look at the buying process. totally screwed up for the casual fan. but perfectly normal for the true collector. the question now becomes, how much can you put up with? for how long? and at what expense? for the true collector, these questions are easily answered-whatever it takes. but for the casual fan and/or flipper? serious questions to ponder.

like i said, just my 2 cents. and from someone who is just a lurker. i just think that getting so upset & blaming 'them' is just smeared. it's not their fault. it's yours for not accepting that this is the process of how to purchase a genuine limited edition & very popular obey print.
:lol: Yes, yes, yes, you're right! Because I dont want to spend 9 hours over 3 days trying to purchase a $125 print I am not a true fan. I dont want to get Obeyier Than Thou but maybe some of the "true collectors" remember a time when 20 prints would sit on the site for months at a time. You speak about Peace Bomber like that was way back in the early days. For me its about getting the artwork not the Obey print buying experience.
You guys can have these 100 page release threads. I'll pay my $125 a print, on occassion, when it warrants it. You can find me on any other threads of the board.

totally screwed up for the casual fan. but perfectly normal for the true collector. the question now becomes, how much can you put up with? for how long? and at what expense? for the true collector, these questions are easily answered-whatever it takes. but for the casual fan and/or flipper? serious questions to ponder.
Maybe Shepard can start including patches with the prints that we can sew onto our jackets: "I Scored a Blue Cool Chillin 2008". Kind of like when you were a little kid and you'd win a soccer game. We can wear our patch covered jackets to the gallery openings and prove how much of a "true collector" we really are. "Man look at him! He has like 25 patches from 2009."
"Think about it: Andre drank 119 beers in six hours. Thats a beer every three minutes, non-stop. That's beyond epic. It's beyond the ken of mortal men. It's god-like."
-Modern Drunkard Magazine Sept/ Oct 2006
hercylicious
Giant

Post by hercylicious »

holy f00k , 600 bucks on the bay already ? seems like we made a good investement , i may be able to trade mine for a mujer fatal if anyone is interested :D
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

Well been away since friday night! Looks like i missed the drop then! :( Thought it would be up next week! Oh well!
truthiness
Giant

Post by truthiness »

Bonesy wrote:Maybe Shepard can start including patches with the prints that we can sew onto our jackets: "I Scored a Blue Cool Chillin 2008". Kind of like when you were a little kid and you'd win a soccer game. We can wear our patch covered jackets to the gallery openings and prove how much of a "true collector" we really are. "Man look at him! He has like 25 patches from 2009."
I think the 'patches' are the prints, and the 'jacket' is my wall/portfolio. :wink:
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. -- George Orwell
Dizzyegg05
Giant

Post by Dizzyegg05 »

truthiness wrote:
Bonesy wrote:Maybe Shepard can start including patches with the prints that we can sew onto our jackets: "I Scored a Blue Cool Chillin 2008". Kind of like when you were a little kid and you'd win a soccer game. We can wear our patch covered jackets to the gallery openings and prove how much of a "true collector" we really are. "Man look at him! He has like 25 patches from 2009."
I think the 'patches' are the prints, and the 'jacket' is my wall/portfolio. :wink:
I like that
obey908
Posse

Post by obey908 »

I think refreshing your browser constantly is why most people probably did not get the print. Only wait to refresh until your browser says "done" in the corner. I have done this for all the recent drops and have had no problems.
dirtyd0369
Giant

Post by dirtyd0369 »

nope.. someone from the board hooked a brother up.
jwoods103 wrote:
libertarian wrote:
truthiness wrote:there's another one up at $200 with Buy it Now.
Somebody hit the BIN, actually a very fair price considering the three-day-ordeal.
Dirty D is this how you scored your print?
Bobak
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Bobak »

The assumption that prints being sold in this system only go to "the most persistent fans" is painfully flawed.

http://art.shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=Du ... rksid=m270" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Raggadrop
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Raggadrop »

*devo* wrote:
jshea wrote:
Raggadrop wrote:
doc biz wrote:your right, on friday night I should start having tea parties instead
Straightedge and always get prints...and have plenty cash to do so. Going to watch fires downtown Providence.
Are you really trying to imply that the you score prints because you don't drink or smoke?
I don't think the OP meant that if you don't drink or smoke you will score prints. It would be smeared if that's what he meant.

On the other hand, if you're not drunk or hung over you probably have a better chance at scoring a print. :wink:
Yes, what I meant is you cannot get a hangover without drinking-which is what the guy was complaining about having on Saturday morning and what made his not getting DoH #1 worse.

Although it hasn't been proven, I predict sober F5'ers are more successful at getting prints than intoxicated F5'ers. Probably have more discretionary income to spend on prints, as well. Joking, kind of...
destroyeric
Giant

Post by destroyeric »

robotoil wrote:
destroyeric wrote:Anyone know how many prints are in the Duality of Humanity series? I think the Omethod posted something about already seeing the second print from the series.
:lol:

Yeah that was a dumb question... :roll:
trkr2007 wrote:so will someone let us know if this print is going to drop i need to get a haircut.....
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

Raggadrop wrote:
*devo* wrote:
jshea wrote:
Raggadrop wrote:
doc biz wrote:your right, on friday night I should start having tea parties instead
Straightedge and always get prints...and have plenty cash to do so. Going to watch fires downtown Providence.
Are you really trying to imply that the you score prints because you don't drink or smoke?
I don't think the OP meant that if you don't drink or smoke you will score prints. It would be smeared if that's what he meant.

On the other hand, if you're not drunk or hung over you probably have a better chance at scoring a print. :wink:
Yes, what I meant is you cannot get a hangover without drinking-which is what the guy was complaining about having on Saturday morning and what made his not getting DoH #1 worse.

Although it hasn't been proven, I predict sober F5'ers are more successful at getting prints than intoxicated F5'ers. Probably have more discretionary income to spend on prints, as well. Joking, kind of...
Nope, I woke up sweating Tequila and had a fattie rolled just for the occasion and, Great success!!
Raggadrop
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Raggadrop »

Gigantico wrote:Nope, I woke up sweating Tequila and had a fattie rolled just for the occasion and, Great success!!
Oh, well. So much for that theory. The money hypothesis might still hold true!
extremeimages77
Giant

Post by extremeimages77 »

Gigantico wrote:
Raggadrop wrote:
*devo* wrote:
jshea wrote:
Raggadrop wrote:

i always come prepared to drop days with a twelve pack,pack of smokes,a sandwich and a FATTIE...being prepared is half the battle :D
Nope, I woke up sweating Tequila and had a fattie rolled just for the occasion and, Great success!!
"Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded.
Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth
or fourteenth."