!OFFICIAL! Duality of Humanity !ANTICIPATION THREAD!

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Re: Re:

Post by Gigantico »

Raggadrop wrote:
Gigantico wrote:Nope, I woke up sweating Tequila and had a fattie rolled just for the occasion and, Great success!!
Oh, well. So much for that theory. The money hypothesis might still hold true!
If I wanted to save money, I wouldn't be on this site or gunning for the prints in the first place, that's for sure. My art addiction sucks up more than anything else. Wanna save money, RUN! :P
thestash
Punk

Re: !OFFICIAL! Duality of Humanity !ANTICIPATION THREAD!

Post by thestash »

Did anyone get a refund/canceled? Was it oversold? Well it happended here and I have no valid reason why.
The sh*ty part is that I am not one of the durn ebay flippers.
aaarrrghhh. :cry:
"Hey Kool-Aid!"... (Walls crashing) "OH YEAH!"
truthiness
Giant

Post by truthiness »

thestash wrote:Did anyone get a refund/canceled? Was it oversold? Well it happended here and I have no valid reason why.
The sh*ty part is that I am not one of the durn ebay flippers.
aaarrrghhh. :cry:
what was your order number?
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. -- George Orwell
truthiness
Giant

Re:

Post by truthiness »

Bobak wrote:The assumption that prints being sold in this system only go to "the most persistent fans" is painfully flawed.

http://art.shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=Du ... rksid=m270" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If my math is correct that list at the time of this post represents only about 2% of the available prints ((9/450)*100). So I think your use of the phrase 'painfully flawed' is a little overstated, but your point is well taken.
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. -- George Orwell
truthiness
Giant

Post by truthiness »

dirtyd0369 wrote:nope.. someone from the board hooked a brother up.
jwoods103 wrote:
libertarian wrote:
truthiness wrote:there's another one up at $200 with Buy it Now.
Somebody hit the BIN, actually a very fair price considering the three-day-ordeal.
Dirty D is this how you scored your print?
dirty d, your seller got refunded?
Catarax
Swindler

Post by Catarax »

first time posting on theGiant.. hi everyone.. this is the same name i use on EB, as to not confuse anyone...

punk is right..
Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...
strangeloop
Swindler

Post by strangeloop »

Wow. I can now understand Obey's frustration with flippers.
Catarax
Swindler

Post by Catarax »

i don't flip, mainly a collector... i'll sell but only in desperate times... if anyone cares..
Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Catarax wrote:i don't flip, mainly a collector... i'll sell but only in desperate times... if anyone cares..
I'm 99% sure that last post wasn't directed at you. Welcome.
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
strangeloop
Swindler

Post by strangeloop »

Sorry, no, not directed at anyone. Looked at all the Duality of Humanitys on ebay and it was just a shocker ($1500 wtf?). I've traded once on this board (thanks Cookie Head!), but the rest of the prints I wouldn't think of selling on ebay. Maybe I'm too much of a collector nerd.
skoola
Giant

Re: Re:

Post by skoola »

Bonesy wrote: Maybe Shepard can start including patches with the prints that we can sew onto our jackets: "I Scored a Blue Cool Chillin 2008". Kind of like when you were a little kid and you'd win a soccer game. We can wear our patch covered jackets to the gallery openings and prove how much of a "true collector" we really are. "Man look at him! He has like 25 patches from 2009."
best quote of this entire thread ROFL
James Reeves
Posse

Post by James Reeves »

with 4 already sold on the bay, and 12 in the process of being sold, this one could prove to be the piece that causes studio one to make some serious changes to their pricing / distribution policies.

I guess if you think about it, Shep is one of the last flipper friendly artists (with Faile, Swoon, and Hecox selling too high, and Banksy not releasing anything)
truthiness
Giant

Post by truthiness »

James Reeves wrote:with 4 already sold on the bay, and 12 in the process of being sold, this one could prove to be the piece that causes studio one to make some serious changes to their pricing / distribution policies.

I guess if you think about it, Shep is one of the last flipper friendly artists (with Faile, Swoon, and Hecox selling too high, and Banksy not releasing anything)

I don't know, I don't see that. You're talking about 12 prints out of 450. Hardly a rush to flip. And wouldn't the whole Obama Progress phenomenon with that print selling for $3k+ already have made them think that?
CAallDAY
Swindler

Post by CAallDAY »

I tried for an hour and 15 minutes until it sold out.

Got it in my shopping cart over a dozen times no problem, then logged into paypal,
got all the way through paypal over 8 times and it would always error when it came time to review purchase to confirm.

Once it did go through it said "sorry one or more items is not in stock"

really lame. Makes BRP and POW's experiences seem effortless.

I knew it was difficult to get a print but, geez. Didn't know it was that hard.

Last few times was a breeze. Oh well better luck next time.
James Reeves
Posse

Post by James Reeves »

truthiness wrote:
James Reeves wrote:with 4 already sold on the bay, and 12 in the process of being sold, this one could prove to be the piece that causes studio one to make some serious changes to their pricing / distribution policies.

I don't know, I don't see that. You're talking about 12 prints out of 450. Hardly a rush to flip. And wouldn't the whole Obama Progress phenomenon with that print selling for $3k+ already have made them think that?
Actually 16 out of 450 and this is one day after their release
minoka3
Posse

Post by minoka3 »

James Reeves wrote:
truthiness wrote:

Actually 16 out of 450 and this is one day after their release
I would really regret if something happened and they revised their prices due to flipping, not only for myself but others like me. I am barely twenty and had no concept of art as something other than what you hang at a museum until I came across OG one way or another, still to this day i cannot remember how i found it a few years ago. But back then even though i liked the work i couldn't fathom spending 30$ on a 'poster' ,mind you the only knowledge of posters i had was the thin glossy unlimited run stuff at spencer's and such. One day my girl saw the obey giant background i had on my computer and really dug it and once i should her the OG page where i stole it from she convinced me to buy a gun's and roses offset from ebay for i think like 75$ at that time and when we got it we really liked it it was nice so we decided to try to buy a print from obey I can't remember what our first attempt was but we missed out so i decided to buy the this is a poster offset make a long story short in the mail instead of this is a poster we received the arrows print by mistake and god when i first opened that tube and whiffed that fresh ink and unrolled it seeing the texture and stuff i was hooked! Understand the cost of a print for me equals 3-4 hours of hard labor in a kitchen and we sleep on an air mattress with cheap ikea furniture so this is my affordable luxury my cup of starbucks in the morning. as much as i love mear1 or banksy and swoon or especially choe I will never be able to afford one of their prints. now with our addiction to Obey we have come to really apreciate street art and not just the piccaso's at the smithsonian as well as learning about diffrent printing technuiqes as well asthe great knowledge about art we have learned here at thegiant.org why all this backstory you might say? Becuase if that peice of paper was 50$ or more every week if that offset we first bought was over a 100$ we would over never found this little bit of richness that has been added to our lives and I belive this is part of the reason why Shep sells as he does and I hope he continues to do sothese are prints made cheap for skateboarders, punks and others us poor DIY culture and those one-off's and HPM's are for those that can afford that kind of money as i say if prices rise and such then I feel that it would no longer what it was meant to be anymore.
mrxscarface28 wrote: First you'll have to jump through a ring of fire, walk on hot coals, and fight a death match with Gondor the Impaler.... Then MAYBE you'll get a print in your shopping cart.
blackheart
Giant

Post by blackheart »

Catarax wrote:i don't flip, mainly a collector... i'll sell but only in desperate times... if anyone cares..
I care :wink:
I have spent 90% of my money on women and wine.........the rest i wasted!!
Volcom99
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Volcom99 »

blackheart wrote:
I care :wink:
That's my word.
KDH12
Punk

Post by KDH12 »

truthiness wrote:OG would never sell side by side with flippers. And then you'd have the imitators, and it would be a mess.

I never thought I'd see the day when people would be recommending eBay as a first choice for opening a web store. All that would happen would be the 'Wii effect'. There would be a select group of 'hoarders' who would drain the market and artificially inflate prices. Do you think THAT would be a good thing? I think the only way to limit 1 poster per person on eBay would be to actually have individual listings for single prints. Imagine trying to scramble to get one... talk about a lottery system!

Who do you usually respect more? The guy who is in the right place at the right time, or the guy who works his buttocks off to get what he has? I think the whole OG store process is part of the experience. We've all won some, and we've all fallen short, but the difficulty in getting a print makes actually getting it that much sweeter.

It builds character. :lol:

I agree 100% it is funny that people love to hate ebay then come here or EB and suggest that artist sell on ebay themselves..... if that was the case ebay would become what Ticketmaster is to tickets a scalpers paradise.....

the only way to get decent tickets from TM is through presales... and even then it is hard.....

leve ebay for the secondary market not the primary......

BTW I like the system Obey has, if they would just stop tinkering with it cuz it seems to be getting worse not better
flyersfan13
Swindler

Post by flyersfan13 »

OG started a black list which started after the Lotus starting selling. There's over 100 people on it. If you call and ask, they will confirm it. I just hope the Duality I paid $200 for doesn't get canceled.
lazk
Swindler

Post by lazk »

flyersfan13 wrote:

OG started a black list which started after the Lotus starting selling. There's over 100 people on it. If you call and ask, they will confirm it. I just hope the Duality I paid $200 for doesn't get canceled.

One Word.

VERO
sti2relaxxin
Posse

Post by sti2relaxxin »

[/quote]

I would really regret if something happened and they revised their prices due to flipping, not only for myself but others like me. I am barely twenty and had no concept of art as something other than what you hang at a museum until I came across OG one way or another, still to this day i cannot remember how i found it a few years ago. But back then even though i liked the work i couldn't fathom spending 30$ on a 'poster' ,mind you the only knowledge of posters i had was the thin glossy unlimited run stuff at spencer's and such. One day my girl saw the obey giant background i had on my computer and really dug it and once i should her the OG page where i stole it from she convinced me to buy a gun's and roses offset from ebay for i think like 75$ at that time and when we got it we really liked it it was nice so we decided to try to buy a print from obey I can't remember what our first attempt was but we missed out so i decided to buy the this is a poster offset make a long story short in the mail instead of this is a poster we received the arrows print by mistake and god when i first opened that tube and whiffed that fresh ink and unrolled it seeing the texture and stuff i was hooked! Understand the cost of a print for me equals 3-4 hours of hard labor in a kitchen and we sleep on an air mattress with cheap ikea furniture so this is my affordable luxury my cup of starbucks in the morning. as much as i love mear1 or banksy and swoon or especially choe I will never be able to afford one of their prints. now with our addiction to Obey we have come to really apreciate street art and not just the piccaso's at the smithsonian as well as learning about diffrent printing technuiqes as well asthe great knowledge about art we have learned here at thegiant.org why all this backstory you might say? Becuase if that peice of paper was 50$ or more every week if that offset we first bought was over a 100$ we would over never found this little bit of richness that has been added to our lives and I belive this is part of the reason why Shep sells as he does and I hope he continues to do sothese are prints made cheap for skateboarders, punks and others us poor DIY culture and those one-off's and HPM's are for those that can afford that kind of money as i say if prices rise and such then I feel that it would no longer what it was meant to be anymore.[/quote]

Not to be mean but your posts are unreadable. You need to use periods and break your paragraphs up.
I love my STi.
Raggadrop
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Raggadrop »

I could be wrong, but I just can't imagine them actually having a "list". I mean, if people were taking stuff you produced for your employer and selling them on the free market, how far would you go to stop it? Could an employer really ask you to go out and hunt down individuals reselling prints? Regardless, could you imagine how difficult it would be to identify a flipper, confirm their identity, and then actually implement a ban. The only people who could probably be nailed would be the ones who go to SNO and buy prints in person...

I don't sell OBEY prints, not do I buy OBEY prints on eBAY. So SNO, please don't put me on the list! :wink:
dirtyd0369
Giant

Post by dirtyd0369 »

did anyone else get refunded?
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Raggadrop wrote:I could be wrong, but I just can't imagine them actually having a "list".
Be 100% assured; they have a list.
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.