!OFFICIAL! Duality of Humanity !ANTICIPATION THREAD!

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
sabeth
Giant

Re: !OFFICIAL! Duality of Humanity !ANTICIPATION THREAD!

Post by sabeth »

boy did i ever miss this drop. days of checking the site for nothing :|

congrats to all who got one!
Instagram: @carnagenyc
Carnage NYC
Raggadrop
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Raggadrop »

admonkey wrote:
Raggadrop wrote:I could be wrong, but I just can't imagine them actually having a "list".
Be 100% assured; they have a list.
If there is a list, it doesn't seem to be enforced; and I cannot blame them as if it were my job, I wouldn't either.

Why do all of the folks on this site who's user names match their eBAY ids, and who openly flip their prints still get prints? How about the fiasco with the "backdoor", all of those violators appear to still get most releases?
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

Raggadrop wrote:
admonkey wrote:
Raggadrop wrote:I could be wrong, but I just can't imagine them actually having a "list".
Be 100% assured; they have a list.
If there is a list, it doesn't seem to be enforced; and I cannot blame them as if it were my job, I wouldn't either.

Why do all of the folks on this site who's user names match their eBAY ids, and who openly flip their prints still get prints? How about the fiasco with the "backdoor", all of those violators appear to still get most releases?
If the list is run by the same person(s) who run the web site, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.
Raggadrop
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Raggadrop »

robotoil wrote: If the list is run by the same person(s) who run the web site, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.
I am not worried. Does anyone actually have any evidence of the existence of a list and/or whether it is actually being used?
dirtyd0369
Giant

Re:

Post by dirtyd0369 »

I guess it was just the seller I bought from.
dirtyd0369 wrote:did anyone else get refunded?
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Re: Re:

Post by Patillac13 »

dirtyd0369 wrote:I guess it was just the seller I bought from.
dirtyd0369 wrote:did anyone else get refunded?
If they sold it Buy It Now, but now they are going for higher prices they might've "been refunded" and will sell it again at a higher price. Either way, it sucks that you got shafted from the seller.
"everyone needs to chill or I'm stopping the internet." - submit

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shopping on Amazon? Use this link and help thegiant.org!
Bobak
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Bobak »

admonkey wrote:Be 100% assured; they have a list.
Are they checking it twice/
Gonna find out who's flipping or nice/
Obey Giant's coming to town...

Sorry... it just popped in my head.

I'm actually nervous... I've run out of room in my own office so I've been hanging this stuff in the main corridors of the office I work at (with permission). I'm afraid some coworker with a gambling or meth problem I don't know about will see the closing sales and make this one disappear...

I should post a picture in that other thread of the hall where some of them are, perhaps later today when I move one from my office (making room for Malcolm X, which would probably be a tad too political for the general office).

BTW, I am 100% for the list. I wonder if that's why the $1200 auction disappeared.
Last edited by Bobak on Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raggadrop
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Raggadrop »

Bobak wrote: BTW, I am 100% for the list.
My 2 cents: the site and current system works fine. I support a list, but recognize that it would be difficult to enforce (e.g., how do you monitor the list and match it to sales; what about "straw buyers"; how do you handle refunds and reposting prints that were sold to banned buyers that you caught).

The best way to dry up flippers is to not buy prints from them on eBAY or EB (i.e., demand-side strategy, versus supply-side).
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

About "the list":

All Obey would have to do is snatch up all the "Buy It Now" prints right after drop, then they will get the flipper's PayPal info, then they can find out which number it is and not ship it, right?! Then Obey would be refunded because the flipper wouldn't be able to ship the print that they won't get and Obey has another name/address/PayPal to put on the sh*t list.

edit: I guess multiple PayPal accounts could be in use, too, so my idea might not work. But shipping addresses or names or something, that could be a way to get some people.
"everyone needs to chill or I'm stopping the internet." - submit

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shopping on Amazon? Use this link and help thegiant.org!
destroyeric
Giant

Post by destroyeric »

Anyone checkout the Duality of Humanity EBeans page? A bunch for sale/trade. Is having the print listed on there, not in hand any different than the ones for sale on ebay, not in hand?
trkr2007 wrote:so will someone let us know if this print is going to drop i need to get a haircut.....
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Raggadrop wrote:Does anyone actually have any evidence of the existence of a list and/or whether it is actually being used?
Yes and yes, hence the "be 100% assured; they have a list" comment.
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
Raggadrop
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Raggadrop »

admonkey wrote: Yes and yes, hence the "be 100% assured; they have a list" comment.
Care to elaborate further?
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Raggadrop wrote:
admonkey wrote: Yes and yes, hence the "be 100% assured; they have a list" comment.
Nope. :D

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

admonkey wrote:
Raggadrop wrote:
I too have heard of a list, from a very valuable source as well!
They told me that there is a black list and that they search flippers on the bay! What time length they dont consider it flipping i dont know, but from what im told the list exists!
Raggadrop
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Raggadrop »

admonkey wrote:
Raggadrop wrote:
Okay, so apparently there is someway that OBEY can get info from eBAY about those sellers who sell before they receive the print (somebody described it on EB). That said, it still cannot guard against people with multiple paypal accounts, straw buyers, and sounds like a nightmare to enforce. Besides that, OBEY would be 'stuck' with the prints from those buyers who are on the list, who still attempt to buy and are caught.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Raggadrop wrote:
admonkey wrote:
Raggadrop wrote:
Okay, so apparently there is someway that OBEY can get info from eBAY about those sellers who sell before they receive the print (somebody described it on EB). That said, it still cannot guard against people with multiple paypal accounts, straw buyers, and sounds like a nightmare to enforce. Besides that, OBEY would be 'stuck' with the prints from those buyers who are on the list, who still attempt to buy and are caught.
It might be a small nightmare to enforce, but the will is there to do so and they CAN guard against people with multiple PayPal accounts. Don't forget, too, that the enforcement and screening job gets easier and easier as their database becomes more robust with time and new data points.

And there's no "getting stuck" with the prints. Remember, they also sell direct through SNO and disperse small portions of the editions to several other retail locations (e.g., Ducky Waddle's). Unless we're talking Big Proof, their inventory of works on paper isn't exactly collecting dust.

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
Raggadrop
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Raggadrop »

admonkey wrote:It might be a small nightmare to enforce, but the will is there to do so and they CAN guard against people with multiple PayPal accounts. Don't forget, too, that the enforcement and screening job gets easier and easier as their database becomes more robust with time and new data points.

And there's no "getting stuck" with the prints. Remember, they also sell direct through SNO and disperse small portions of the editions to several other retail locations (e.g., Ducky Waddle's). Unless we're talking Big Proof, their inventory of works on paper isn't exactly collecting dust.
I cannot see how it would get easier as the database grows, unless you are talking about offenses by offenders vs. offenders alone.
The direct SNO sales actually led to more flippage, though. However, this would explain how other OBEY vendors get multiple copies of sold-out prints.
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

admonkey wrote:...the enforcement and screening job gets easier and easier as their database becomes more robust with time and new data points.
Reliable sources confirm that OG has tapped into the NSA's data warehouse. All dimensions of your information cube are being studied for illicit behavior. Big Brother is watching. :lol:
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

robotoil wrote:
admonkey wrote:...the enforcement and screening job gets easier and easier as their database becomes more robust with time and new data points.
Reliable sources confirm that OG has tapped into the NSA's data warehouse. All dimensions of your information cube are being studied for illicit behavior. Big Brother is watching. :lol:
You didn't know FISA stood for Fairey's Information and Surveillance Act, did you? :P

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
strangeloop
Swindler

Post by strangeloop »

Not to change the subject, but I can't wait to see this print in person and have it hanging on my wall! I absolutely love how he's using those elaborate patterns as a shading tool. He's done it on a few pieces, and this will be the first one that I actually own. :D
TheOmethod
Ministry of Information

Post by TheOmethod »

There is a list, have you noticed that the number on your tube matches the number inside. That all gets matched up to you! There is a filing cabinet full of "lists"
Raggadrop wrote:I could be wrong, but I just can't imagine them actually having a "list". I mean, if people were taking stuff you produced for your employer and selling them on the free market, how far would you go to stop it? Could an employer really ask you to go out and hunt down individuals reselling prints? Regardless, could you imagine how difficult it would be to identify a flipper, confirm their identity, and then actually implement a ban. The only people who could probably be nailed would be the ones who go to SNO and buy prints in person...

I don't sell OBEY prints, not do I buy OBEY prints on eBAY. So SNO, please don't put me on the list! :wink:
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

Would that be the same filing cabinet with the super secret archive?
TheOmethod wrote:There is a list, have you noticed that the number on your tube matches the number inside. That all gets matched up to you! There is a filing cabinet full of "lists"
Raggadrop wrote:I could be wrong, but I just can't imagine them actually having a "list". I mean, if people were taking stuff you produced for your employer and selling them on the free market, how far would you go to stop it? Could an employer really ask you to go out and hunt down individuals reselling prints? Regardless, could you imagine how difficult it would be to identify a flipper, confirm their identity, and then actually implement a ban. The only people who could probably be nailed would be the ones who go to SNO and buy prints in person...

I don't sell OBEY prints, not do I buy OBEY prints on eBAY. So SNO, please don't put me on the list! :wink:
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

Man, I totally missed this. I had a hunch they might try a weekend drop but I was out doing stuff. Oh well.

Congrats to those who scored.
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

robotoil wrote:Would that be the same filing cabinet with the super secret archive?
No, different cabinet. The super secret archive is too stuffed with rare prints to load anything else in... at least until Shepard decides to flood the market around the time of your retirement. ;)

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
brintoul
Giant

Post by brintoul »

Bobak wrote:BTW, I am 100% for the list. I wonder if that's why the $1200 auction disappeared.
Either that or it disappeared solely because it was based on pure idiocy on someone's part...