Peace Guard Anticipation thread

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
The Boy Wunder
Swindler

Re: Peace Guard Anticipation thread

Post by The Boy Wunder »

I'm very excited about this print. What happened to that other print in the photo of Shep signing a ton of prints on a table with the PE print in the background?
stinkypete
Giant

Re: Re:

Post by stinkypete »

Patillac13 wrote:
admonkey wrote:I only know what I know about the emblem because I belong to an organization with a double-headed eagle emblem of its own. Want to play the guessing game?
Freemason.
raptors against nuclear testing :?
"Have you anything to say. No? Then shut up. Lest you are a woman in
which case carry on - It's delightful."
Simon Munnery
Bobak
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Bobak »

I like it, definitely hope he uses more of this Harajuku-esque stuff.
Mad Daego
Posse

Re: Re:

Post by Mad Daego »

admonkey wrote:
Mad Daego wrote:
Patillac13 wrote:
Bonesy wrote:I'll try for the print but look forward to a new feel/ message.
I'm always excited to see what direction prints go. I'm really looking forward to seeing some of the Turkish Pattern! Don't get me wrong, I really like the Indian and Yen Patterns (and the China Pattern)...

...but that Turkish Pattern would look sweet used in a print, in my opinion.
Yesssss!
Turkish, yet it has the Russian Imperial eagle of the Czars in it. No one ever said Shep was a history major.
And I suppose no one can say you're a history major, either.

The image you see was the battle emblem of the Palaiologoi, a Byzantine warlord/noble family that eventually recaptured Constantinople and re-established a Byzantine empire (whose crest you might recognize as well, along with their sometimes friendly/sometimes not Holy Roman cousins) in what would become Turkey after the Ottomans came in and finally settled the issue.

You didn't think the Russians came up with this on their own, did you? I'm pretty sure the Mongol Hordes were still kicking their bearskin wearing as^es during the time the Palaiologoi were busy building Kingdoms.

(I should point out I'm not a history major either, and I only know what I know about the emblem because I belong to an organization with a double-headed eagle emblem of its own. Want to play the guessing game?)
There are a lot of double headed eagles out there, I have one tattooed on my arm and it is neither Russian nor Byzantine. But the point is it was not merely the double headed eagle I recognized but this precise placement of said image. Does the Palaiologoi crest include a crown and banner in the background holding a scepter and globus? In the pic you have posted it does, but not in any others I have found referencing that dynasty. Are you positive that the flag above is correct, because I'd say double check your wiki. That version is also missing the crowns on each head, and in any heraldry all these details have a significance.

Byzantine eagle.

So although the first historical appearance of a double headed eagle might belong to your Palaiologoi the one Shep used in this image is that of the Imperial Czar, and my point stands. In fact it would appear that he actually lifted the image right off of Wikipedia and covered the crest w/ an Obey logo (maybe not, can't get a good look at the scepter).

Russian Imperial Crest

FYI, a major, no, but you could say I've been recruited by several history departments based on several papers. There's no real work in the field or else I would be stoked. Love history, take lots of courses and really sink my teeth in, but they don't apply to any of my BA work. College gets you a job, you do the stuff you love because you love doing it, and are often better as a result. I'd say my command of history and ability to interpret is far superior to my journalism or psych skills for which I have BA's.
Last edited by Mad Daego on Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

Shepard talks for a second about the two headed Eagle in that Obey t-shirt release video...
...with the Public Enemy in the background...

edit: Obey B&W video here: http://www.digitalgravel.com/servlet/th ... ASODG/Page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"everyone needs to chill or I'm stopping the internet." - submit

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shopping on Amazon? Use this link and help thegiant.org!
SYPRUX
Posse

Post by SYPRUX »

This is also the Flag of the Greek Orthodox Church.
b'jae
Punk

Post by b'jae »

having had the opportunity to live in korea for a year and japan for 5 years, i'm inclined to believe wholeheartedly that she appears more Korean than Japanese. There is practically nobody more armed to the teeth than the North Koreans. This print is frankfurter awesome.
Mad Daego
Posse

Post by Mad Daego »

SYPRUX wrote:This is also the Flag of the Greek Orthodox Church.
Ah! Nice find. There we have the 3 different versions and, in a roundabout way, why. I'm almost tempted to do some more research on this but midterms are a drag.
MunkeyPants
Giant

Re:

Post by MunkeyPants »

b'jae wrote:having had the opportunity to live in korea for a year and japan for 5 years, i'm inclined to believe wholeheartedly that she appears more Korean than Japanese. There is practically nobody more armed to the teeth than the North Koreans. This print is frankfurter awesome.
I wholeheartedly disagree that she looks Korean (nor do I believe anyone made said assertion). Someone compared her to a famous person (as is the habit here).

Welcome to the forum BTW.
Submit. Rapture.
ideabolo
Giant

Post by ideabolo »

this double headed eagle 1st apeared in the roman empire after theodosius death in 395. his 2 sons devided the roman empire in 2 & same happened to the single headed roman eagle emblem. the left head looking to rome (northern "Pars Occidentalis") & the right one looking to constantinopolis/istanbul (eastern "Pars Orientalis").
in turkey it also became the emblem of the selcukian empire & today it is still to be seen on the lower part of the turkish police crest. i would say shep pretty much knows what he is using in his works & these turkish patterns are my 2nd favorite pieces right after his mustafa kemal portrait.
please check: TOYKIO & my instagram is: toykio
EFE
Giant

Post by EFE »

Mad Daego wrote:
SYPRUX wrote:This is also the Flag of the Greek Orthodox Church.
Ah! Nice find. There we have the 3 different versions and, in a roundabout way, why. I'm almost tempted to do some more research on this but midterms are a drag.
wings are up not down..
Mad Daego
Posse

Re:

Post by Mad Daego »

ideabolo wrote:Image
this double headed eagle 1st apeared in the roman empire after theodosius death in 395. his 2 sons devided the roman empire in 2 & same happened to the single headed roman eagle emblem. the left head looking to rome (northern "Pars Occidentalis") & the right one looking to constantinopolis/istanbul (eastern "Pars Orientalis").
in turkey it also became the emblem of the selcukian empire & today it is still to be seen on the lower part of the turkish police crest. i would say shep pretty much knows what he is using in his works & these turkish patterns are my 2nd favorite pieces right after his mustafa kemal portrait.
Hold on, so he should have used this version with the key emblem and the cross? Or there is a derivative that was done after the above was split as you have explained?

EFE, nice call on the wings. I have a book on heraldry I should dig out and see what each tweak is significant of.
blazedoutbee
Propaganda Engineer

Post by blazedoutbee »

What history classes are you taking this semester?
cheap cologne
Giant

Post by cheap cologne »

Good luck guys... I don't think I will be trying for this.
Last edited by cheap cologne on Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lmprnio
Propaganda Engineer

Post by lmprnio »

i want this bad!!!
http://shtexclamation.bigcartel.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ApfelGeld
Punk

Re:

Post by ApfelGeld »

lmprnio wrote:i want this bad!!!
blazedoutbee wrote:Welcome to the bloodsport of poster collecting.
recycler wrote:
cadeallaw wrote:I swear, this durn little hobby is going to break me.
We may go broke, but at least our shacks will have an aesthetic touch.
artoholic wrote:Is it possible that Mr. Brainwash is Banksy? :shock:
lmprnio
Propaganda Engineer

Post by lmprnio »

after not scoring the day of the dead print yesterday i will punch my computer if i dont score this print when it drops!
http://shtexclamation.bigcartel.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ianwhite310
Posse

Post by ianwhite310 »

when is this anticipated to drop??
theNORD
Punk

Post by theNORD »

This looks nice, count me in on the chase.
01/20/09
extremeimages77
Giant

Post by extremeimages77 »

dont know if i can handle another strike out at this point..
"Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded.
Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth
or fourteenth."
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

extremeimages77 wrote:dont know if i can handle another strike out at this point..
I get a migraine and a nose bleed every time I even think about missing out on more cool prints.

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

extremeimages77
Giant

Post by extremeimages77 »

Patillac13 wrote:
extremeimages77 wrote:dont know if i can handle another strike out at this point..
I get a migraine and a nose bleed every time I even think about missing out on more cool prints.
ya me too....i think im limited to buying band prints from obey
"Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded.
Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth
or fourteenth."
stinkypete
Giant

Post by stinkypete »

extremeimages77 wrote:
Patillac13 wrote:
there is always the joy of the truly random drop, then its goodbye peace woman hello johnny ramone
i aint quittin yew yet shepard
"Have you anything to say. No? Then shut up. Lest you are a woman in
which case carry on - It's delightful."
Simon Munnery
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

stinkypete wrote:
extremeimages77 wrote:
Patillac13 wrote:
there is always the joy of the truly random drop, then its goodbye peace woman hello johnny ramone
i aint quittin yew yet shepard
Yeah, Peace Woman was amazing. I viewed new posts here, saw it was up, went and bought it effortlessly. Wow! What a great Obey experience! Then I was on here when the Johnny Ramone red early orders were going through and I bought one of them, too. Also effortlessly.

...those two felt really nice, because I really liked them both, and because I get shut out of so many of the normal drops :lol:

H2KOG
Swindler

Post by H2KOG »

Ill most likely try for this, I think the old lady will like it.
-what else can a poor boy do..
Obama '08