Where to go in London?

Mindless Chatter - Not related? Post it here.
sabeth
Giant

Where to go in London?

Post by sabeth »

So I'm going to London for a few days in May. I haven't been in almost 20 years, so naturally I'm super excited and plan to take a shitload of pictures of street art and graffiti while I am there. I just don't know the place at all, so I'd really appreciate some pointers from the natives and anyone else who knows their way around the city. Here are a few questions:

- Where's the best area to stay in that is relatively central, but has cheap hotels and a lot of art nearby?
- What neighborhoods within the greater London area should I explore while I'm there? I have five full days, so I'll basically go anywhere as long as I can get there and back in a day. East end? Hackney? I have no clue.
- And the most obvious question of all: Where are the Banksys? (Wasn't there a map at some point?)

Again, any tips will be greatly appreciated (and feel free to PM me.)
Last edited by sabeth on Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Instagram: @carnagenyc
Carnage NYC
Tad Ghostal
Giant

Post by Tad Ghostal »

Have you tried asking these questions over at banksy.info or wallkandy.net? Seems like they're dominated by brit users, and I'd bet you'll find more than a handful of members with great suggestions. thegiant.org tends to skew a bit more towards US users.
Pudding can't fill the emptiness inside me! But it'll help.
sabeth
Giant

Post by sabeth »

Yeah, I did. I just figured that London is a big enough place that some Americans might have been there and know it better than I do. Plus we do have some Euros on here who are not necessarily frequenting the Banksy board.
Carnage NYC
Tad Ghostal
Giant

Post by Tad Ghostal »

True. One way or the other, hopefully you get to snap some great shots on that trip of yours.
Pudding can't fill the emptiness inside me! But it'll help.
propogandadan1
Posse

Re: Where to go in London?

Post by propogandadan1 »

I wish I could tell you more, but just drink plenty of Strongbow!
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

Hi, i am from the U.K Sabeth, id love to give you a bit of info but to be honest im not really that clued up that much on London, i live by the coast and am not really in to City life. Normally i only go up there to see the odd exhibition and street art here and there and to go to the airport. :)
The Banksy forum would be best, as there are a lot of Londen'ers on there. Im actually going to London this friday to have a look around. Enjoy the trip though man.
slidingaround
Giant

Re: Where to go in London?

Post by slidingaround »

propogandadan1 wrote:I wish I could tell you more, but just drink plenty of Strongbow!
Nah, drink Magners or Bulmers Irish Cider, it's WAY BETTER!!!!!!! :wink: :lol:
rastapunk
Giant

Post by rastapunk »

Some of the most fun I've ever had in my life was in England.

Drink at the pubs until they close, then find an all night curry house.
Yantra and mantra create tantra.
Dizzyegg05
Giant

Post by Dizzyegg05 »

http://www.namcoexperience.com/countyhall/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thats where im going
Dorse
Swindler

Post by Dorse »

I went stickering with some college freinds on my trip last month.. and sure to appear was the police not 1 or 2.. A tactical unit with 16 officers.. They asked us if we had drugs as they said they saw us drop as blue bag on seeing them.. they then asked my black freind if he speaks English before they even spoke to him. RACIST PIGS!
Dorse
Swindler

Post by Dorse »

SO IF YOUR PLANNING ON STICKERING IN CENTRAL LONDON THINK TWICE! YOUR BEING WATCHED!
slidingaround
Giant

Re:

Post by slidingaround »

Dorse wrote:I went stickering with some college freinds on my trip last month.. and sure to appear was the police not 1 or 2.. A tactical unit with 16 officers.. They asked us if we had drugs as they said they saw us drop as blue bag on seeing them.. they then asked my black freind if he speaks English before they even spoke to him. RACIST PIGS!

admonkey
King of the Jungle

Re:

Post by admonkey »

Dorse wrote:SO IF YOUR PLANNING ON STICKERING IN CENTRAL LONDON THINK TWICE! YOUR BEING WATCHED!
I must have slapped two pounds of stickers up, Obey/Andre, mine, my friends, when I was in London and nada. No police barricades when I left, no busted-down hotel doors. I even managed this one...

...not central London (it's Edinburgh), but you'd think someone, somewhere was probably watching the place, right? And I even had time to snap the pic, in broad daylight, before shuffling off.

All of this isn't to say that you won't get caught, just that I'm apparently the invisiblefuckingman. :lol:
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
sabeth
Giant

Post by sabeth »

thanks for the tips so far. i will pack camo pants for stickering.

i'd still really like some heads up just on what areas of the city/ greater london area I should focus on, so any tips would be awesome.
Carnage NYC