New Peace Dove Rays / AK 47 Canvas Piece

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
slidingaround
Giant

Post by slidingaround »

Amazing piece, so we all know he cant use the word giant on new prints now, is there a different rule for the originals then?
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Re:

Post by admonkey »

MunkeyPants wrote:Where is the thread with that story? So, he'll change Giant to Obey. Still pretty much the same basic print. I realize for the people who have been aware of Shep for much longer have a different perspective on what that means, so please educate all the newbies on why he can't use Giant anymore.
Briefly: serious legal hand-slap by the Roussimoff family heirs and Titan Sports = no "Giant" and = new "Icon" face. Also why he doesn't use the web address andrethegiant.com any longer. You can find this info on the Andre the Giant Has a Posse Wikipedia page.
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
MunkeyPants
Giant

Post by MunkeyPants »

Off to read. Thanks AM.
Submit. Rapture.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

Incredible piece A.I.M., it's very heartwarming that Shep is giving your organization the honor you deserve. I hope it brings a lot of joy to you.
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
JErikR
Giant

Post by JErikR »

Pretty incredible.
JErikR
mutant
Posse

Re: Something Special...

Post by mutant »

very very nice, indeed. congrats!
A.I.M.
Punk

Re: New Peace Dove Rays / AK 47 Canvas Piece

Post by A.I.M. »

Thank you for all of the kind comments, it really is an amazing piece and - we find something new in the collage everyday. We will have this up on our wall and Shep in our hearts for many generations to come.
qhays
Punk

Post by qhays »

I have a bit of a basic question regarding the collages that maybe someone can answer. I've noticed that a lot of the pieces (at least at the ICA) contain newsprint that is apparently quite old. Does Shep have a stash of old newspapers that he uses, or maybe he just makes copies of them? Some of the stuff I noticed at the ICA on the various collages contained things about WWII and the like. Just wondering, sorry to hijack the thread -- that truly is an amazing piece for a great cause. Congrats A.I.M., and FREE PELTIER!
bigstrunso
Propaganda Engineer

Post by bigstrunso »

AIM - This piece is amazing!

On another note, any chance of letting us know how much was raised for charity in the Monkey Pod auction?

Thanks
mose
Subcomandante Emeritus

Post by mose »

qhays wrote:I have a bit of a basic question regarding the collages that maybe someone can answer. I've noticed that a lot of the pieces (at least at the ICA) contain newsprint that is apparently quite old. Does Shep have a stash of old newspapers that he uses, or maybe he just makes copies of them? Some of the stuff I noticed at the ICA on the various collages contained things about WWII and the like. Just wondering, sorry to hijack the thread -- that truly is an amazing piece for a great cause. Congrats A.I.M., and FREE PELTIER!
TheOmethod
Ministry of Information

Post by TheOmethod »

The newspaper and collage materials come from a variety of sources. All of the newspaper is true vintage newsprint that is gathered from all over the place. Photocopies may be used for specific subjects like the AIM piece, but otherwise its just collected from old newspapers. We used alot of military newspapers for the ICA mural. Other collage material includes flawed (BLEM) screen prints, obey printed patterns, maps, fan mail, cancelled checks, and anything else that might look interesting. Sometimes the collages reflect the location. When we did the New York murals we tried to use items that reflected New York like vintage subway maps.
mose wrote:
qhays wrote:I have a bit of a basic question regarding the collages that maybe someone can answer. I've noticed that a lot of the pieces (at least at the ICA) contain newsprint that is apparently quite old. Does Shep have a stash of old newspapers that he uses, or maybe he just makes copies of them? Some of the stuff I noticed at the ICA on the various collages contained things about WWII and the like. Just wondering, sorry to hijack the thread -- that truly is an amazing piece for a great cause. Congrats A.I.M., and FREE PELTIER!
Raggadrop
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Raggadrop »

TheOmethod wrote:The newspaper and collage materials come from a variety of sources. All of the newspaper is true vintage newsprint that is gathered from all over the place. Photocopies may be used for specific subjects like the AIM piece, but otherwise its just collected from old newspapers. We used alot of military newspapers for the ICA mural. Other collage material includes flawed (BLEM) screen prints, obey printed patterns, maps, fan mail, cancelled checks, and anything else that might look interesting. Sometimes the collages reflect the location. When we did the New York murals we tried to use items that reflected New York like vintage subway maps.
This is great info, this forum is awesome.
qhays
Punk

Post by qhays »

TheOmethod wrote:The newspaper and collage materials come from a variety of sources. All of the newspaper is true vintage newsprint that is gathered from all over the place. Photocopies may be used for specific subjects like the AIM piece, but otherwise its just collected from old newspapers. We used alot of military newspapers for the ICA mural. Other collage material includes flawed (BLEM) screen prints, obey printed patterns, maps, fan mail, cancelled checks, and anything else that might look interesting. Sometimes the collages reflect the location. When we did the New York murals we tried to use items that reflected New York like vintage subway maps.
mose wrote:
I was hoping TheOmethod would chime in. Very cool indeed. Some of the layering in the ICA collages is just amazing. I think it might have helped convince my wife to allow me to try for a collage one day (you know, like when we win the lottery), and certainly gave both of us a solid appreciation of the complexity of his work... Thanks for the info...
MunkeyPants
Giant

Post by MunkeyPants »

Shep mentioned at the DC show that many of the old articles come from Bound Newspaper Books found on eBay. Thanks for the heads up Omethod.
Submit. Rapture.
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

I remember JRF talking about how they were looking for old books/magazines/newspapers while in Europe for the Stolen Space show.