Would like opinions on my first stencil attempt

Artist-members sharing their work.
tys1
Punk

Would like opinions on my first stencil attempt

Post by tys1 »

Hey guys, first post on these boards, seems like a chill place, and can't wait to meet some of you. I've been consumed by anything street art for the last year or so and finally decided to come up with something of my own. Please let me know what you think. Any and all positive/negative criticisms are welcome, so lay it on me

"Marilyn Put Her Face On"
Last edited by tys1 on Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
danklax5
Giant

Re: Would like opinions on my first stencil attempt

Post by danklax5 »

Can you explain the piece alittle?
"I make my own luck."
tys1
Punk

Post by tys1 »

Truthfully, it was a mistake. I was trying to do a straight 3 toned Marilyn for my wife since she's been bugging me to try it. I screwed up my alignment and was pretty bummed about it, went back to it about an hour later with intentions of putting a coat of primer over it but then I just started having fun with it.

I think the message reflects my views of how we are obsessed with beauty and my own infatuation with women who are beautiful without make up.

The logo is something I've had in the back of my mind ever since I got annoyed at one of my friends who always posted chain mail garbage on his facebook. I used the term Chain Mail Sincerity in my rant and I liked how that sounded.
SHT!
Giant

Post by SHT! »

not bad for your first stencil attempt!
not bad at all!

keep it up!
SHT! Store
http://www.SHTexclamation.com
SHT! Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/SHTexclamation
SHT! Email
imakeSHT@gmail.com
SHT! Instagram
@SHTexclamation
miskone
Punk

Post by miskone »

its an interesting take, could you explain the envelope and chain? looks kinda crooks and castle'ish to me... other than that goo job, good explanation of the meaning behind it, i actually see it as you explained it.. Good job and congrats! hope the lady appreciates your bravery and talent....
tys1
Punk

Post by tys1 »

Envelope and Chains AKA Chain Mail Sincerity

Friend on FB was making post after post of your typical run of the mill "Post this on your wall if you care" crepe. The garbage has always bugged me beyond belief, finally I had enough after reading one of her new ones about how a cancer patient only has one wish and it's to live. To me, they're all just chain mail guilt trips. Sincerity has now taken the form of a copied and pasted message written by attention whores. The intention of these things are good, and I respect that. What frustrates me is people who repost out of guilt, and the lazy thought process of those that think somebody else said it better so they don't put any effort into originality.
sas
Posse

Post by sas »

I like it a lot. The fracture through her face speaks of her fracture from reality and some kind of foreshadowing of what became of her. The fracture line is like staring into the black hole of Fairey's respirator mask in his Keith Haring piece which then allows the audience to infer whatever they want. It also reminds me of cosmetic surgery and the ill effects of such - how Michael Jackson’s face began to show the wears of surgery over the years. The colors of the print remind me of Jackson since he was into the red, black and white motif.

Re the logo, interesting take, what you wrote above and what the logo looks like are so far from those two realities. At a glance the chain mail logo is a happy-go-lucky-logo where the pretty circle surrounds the pretty envelope. Which maybe makes it more powerful and at-a-glance no one would get what you wrote about chain mail without your explanation - which is pretty neat but not self-explanatory. But neither is Fairey’s OBEY logo self-explanatory, it takes the audience a bit of time to get his logo. So I guess building your own brand recognition is starting here…

Your piece is personal, adaptive and everything about good art. I hope your wife likes. Keep it up!
tys1
Punk

Post by tys1 »

sas wrote:I like it a lot. The fracture through her face speaks of her fracture from reality and some kind of foreshadowing of what became of her. The fracture line is like staring into the black hole of Fairey's respirator mask in his Keith Haring piece which then allows the audience to infer whatever they want. It also reminds me of cosmetic surgery and the ill effects of such - how Michael Jackson’s face began to show the wears of surgery over the years. The colors of the print remind me of Jackson since he was into the red, black and white motif.

Re the logo, interesting take, what you wrote above and what the logo looks like are so far from those two realities. At a glance the chain mail logo is a happy-go-lucky-logo where the pretty circle surrounds the pretty envelope. Which maybe makes it more powerful and at-a-glance no one would get what you wrote about chain mail without your explanation - which is pretty neat but not self-explanatory. But neither is Fairey’s OBEY logo self-explanatory, it takes the audience a bit of time to get his logo. So I guess building your own brand recognition is starting here…

Your piece is personal, adaptive and everything about good art. I hope your wife likes. Keep it up!
Wow, thanks a lot! If I can make somebody feel like that from a mistake that I tried to fix, then maybe I should start making some more mistakes! For reals though, I appreciate your words, you did a great job explaining what you saw in it, something I've always been terrible at.
EFE
Giant

Post by EFE »

nice first attempt.
tys1
Punk

Post by tys1 »

"America, the oblivious"
Magazine collage with spray paint, stencil and watercolor.