Printing HQ photos

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
airfrogyto19
Punk

Printing HQ photos

Post by airfrogyto19 »

I recently did a photographic panorama of New York for a friend of mine, he plans to retouch the colors and use for a website. He was very pleased with the photo as were other friends, I was meaning to gift it to him printed but dont want to spend too much. I have seen some high quality photos but never really known a good place/technique for printing. I was thinking of using staples large format printers with photo paper (roughly $20 for a 16x20) or even using a giclee print (http://www.winkflash.com/posters/). I dont know much about giclee or how staples prints large format photos but any tips or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Re: Printing HQ photos

Post by conartstudio »

Giclee is a fancy name for an inkjet print.
airfrogyto19
Punk

Post by airfrogyto19 »

That helps me a lot, thanks fribhey, in that case I dont need winkflash, I can just use my plotter. I guess Ill look more into good photo print dealers
MunkeyPants
Giant

Post by MunkeyPants »

airfrogyto19 wrote:That helps me a lot, thanks fribhey, in that case I dont need winkflash, I can just use my plotter. I guess Ill look more into good photo print dealers
I've gotten some very good prints from Kodakgallery.com. Even the local CVS can do decent prints if the image is good.
Submit. Rapture.
alwaysalx
Propaganda Engineer

Post by alwaysalx »

"Giclee is a fancy name for an inkjet print"
Incorrect!
Giclee printers are top of the food chain of ink jet printers.
All ink jets are not alike.
Look around before you take his word for it. I have seen some unreal giclee's printed from friends negatives and RAW files. They are pricey but well worth it!
'the best things in life, are not things!
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

alwaysalx wrote:"Giclee is a fancy name for an inkjet print"
Incorrect!
Giclee printers are top of the food chain of ink jet printers.
All ink jets are not alike.
Look around before you take his word for it. I have seen some unreal giclee's printed from friends negatives and RAW files. They are pricey but well worth it!
actually i AM correct. a giclee is not a top of the food chain printer, it is a made up fancy term to describe prints that come from inkjet printers (high quality inkjet printers but you can still call an inkjet print from a lower end printer a giclee). a high end inkjet is STILL an ink jet. we have one of the best wide format printers on the market in my office and guess what, it's still an inkjet printer that uses ink cartridges.

i never once said anything about all inkjet printers being the same and my original statement that a giclee is a fancy term for an inkjet print is correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giclée
Giclée (pronounced /ʒiːˈkleɪ/ "zhee-clay" or /dʒiːˈkleɪ, from French [ʒiˈkle]) is a neologism for the process of making fine art prints from a digital source using ink-jet printing. The word "giclée" is derived from the French language word "le gicleur" meaning "nozzle", or more specifically "gicler" meaning "to squirt, spurt, or spray".[1] It was coined in 1991 by Jack Duganne,[2] a printmaker working in the field, to represent any inkjet-based digital print used as fine art. The intent of that name was to distinguish commonly known industrial "Iris proofs" from the type of fine art prints artists were producing on those same types of printers. The name was originally applied to fine art prints created on Iris printers in a process invented in the early 1990s but has since come to mean any high quality ink-jet print and is often used in galleries and print shops to denote such prints.
a high quality inkjet print is still an inkjet print no matter how you try and spin it.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

Giclee is to inkjet as cubic zirconia is to glass.
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
alwaysalx
Propaganda Engineer

Post by alwaysalx »

:)
outeredgestudio
Giant

Post by outeredgestudio »

I like SPURT prints. :D

I can Spurt with the best of them. I'll even go so far as to say, "I'll put my Spurt on the wall against Anyone's"

the range of really bad to bad giclee is huge. there are few good giclee printers.

it has everything to do with capturing the image and the rip driver and corectly built profiles created specificly for the highest quality paper.

so many think you just buy a profesional grade wide format printer and plug it to photoshop- good luck with that 8)
David Choe prints http://outeredgestudio.com
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

outeredgestudio wrote:I like SPURT prints. :D

I can Spurt with the best of them. I'll even go so far as to say, "I'll put my Spurt on the wall against Anyone's"

the range of really bad to bad giclee is huge. there are few good giclee printers.

it has everything to do with capturing the image and the rip driver and corectly built profiles created specificly for the highest quality paper.

so many think you just buy a profesional grade wide format printer and plug it to photoshop- good luck with that 8)
and rip software is wack expensive.
alwaysalx
Propaganda Engineer

Post by alwaysalx »

outeredgestudio wrote:so many think you just buy a profesional grade wide format printer and plug it to photoshop- good luck with that 8)
ya Frib! What's Up with that?
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

alwaysalx wrote:
outeredgestudio wrote:so many think you just buy a profesional grade wide format printer and plug it to photoshop- good luck with that 8)
ya Frib! What's Up with that?
Again, when did I say that? You have absolutely no clue about any of this technology so trying to put words into my mouth just make you look stupid... But carry on with your mancrush on me.
alwaysalx
Propaganda Engineer

Post by alwaysalx »

Not a man crush at all, just fed up with all your know it all posts. So I decided to comment in as many threads as I have expertise in. :)