Fairey /Brainwash content on Reddit

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
cvansice
Swindler

Fairey /Brainwash content on Reddit

Post by cvansice »

Feel free to move to the Brainwash forum but there is enough Fairey content in here to make it relevant here (I think).

Saw this on Reddit today. Claims to have worked with Fairey and provides some insight in Brainwash/Fairey.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/f ... wash_from/
submethod
Giant

Re: Fairey /Brainwash content on Reddit

Post by submethod »

Wow....great stuff.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

submethod wrote:Wow....great stuff.
+1

What that person says certainly burst Spags' bubble that MBW was created by Banksy/Shepard.
samuraiwriter
Propaganda Engineer

Post by samuraiwriter »

I am way too cynical. Reads like more hype to me. Like a guerrilla Oscar "For Your Consideration" advertisement. But like I said, I am way too cynical. I may have viewed "F For Fake" one too many times. ;)
Optimus Rabbit
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Optimus Rabbit »

There's some interesting commentary their, but I can't help feeling that's a plant of some kind.
cvansice
Swindler

Post by cvansice »

They figured out who the guy was.
Jeff Alulis AKA Jeff Penalty
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Penalty
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1423189/

Wouldn't be too difficult to figure out if he really did work with Fairey/Brainwash during the time frame mentioned.
Quote from him in thread:
"it was always a lot of fun. for a while, shepard said that i had been along with him on more bombing missions than anyone (or maybe it was anyone in LA?). but that was years ago, so i'm sure i've lost that title by now."
Any Obey insiders got any info on this?

Still too cynical?
I think Occam's razor applies here.

Wouldn't it be better to perpetuate the mystery rather than eliminate it as he is doing?
samuraiwriter
Propaganda Engineer

Post by samuraiwriter »

cvansice wrote:

Still too cynical?

Wouldn't it be better to perpetuate the mystery rather than eliminate it as he is doing?
I was commenting on the fact that there is obviously a push to get ETTGS on the ballot as Best Doc. So, by saying Thierry is a real person, as nutty in real life as he is in the film, he's really not eliminating a mystery. He's attempting to confirm that ETTGS is the real life documentary it is purported to be, not an elaborate Banksy ruse many believe it is. A lot of the stuff he says sounds like hype to me:

"the brilliance of the movie is that it's true. (and that it's very well done!)"
and
"kinda cool that i'm inspiring people to watch the film... that was genuinely unexpected. but i'm glad people are seeing it, i think it's a really important piece of film whether you're a fan of banksy or not."
and
"haha...thanks! enjoy the film, i genuinely think it's one of the best documentaries i've ever seen, and i say that as a documentary filmmaker!"
and
"darkcity2 4 points 13 hours ago[-]
I'm surprised no one has asked this yet: did you meet/know Banksy?
throwawayyourart [S] 4 points 12 hours ago[-]
unfortunately no. i would have warned him! but then this very compelling movie wouldn't exist"

and

"this is why i thought it was worth doing this AMA. people should know that thierry is for real and his story is true.
believing that thierry is fictional takes all the focus off the real message of the film and cheapens it, in my opinion.
anybody could "invent" thierry. but the film is so unique because it's actually true. i hope more people will come to realize that eventually."

and

"everyone is talking about "waiting for superman" which i haven't seen yet, but in my opinion "exit..." deserves the oscar.
i think it was exceptionally well done. it was a compelling story that subverted all expectations. it was paced perfectly and it was very visual and stylistic without being pretentious.
like i said in another reply, any other street artist would have made a movie about how cool and dangerous they are...banksy made a movie about how worthless he is. that's groundbreaking.
plus, wouldn't you just love to see whatever stunt banksy might plan for the awards show......?"

So, yes, I am still too cynical for my own good.
Last edited by samuraiwriter on Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

cvansice wrote:
Wouldn't be too difficult to figure out if he really did work with Fairey/Brainwash during the time frame mentioned.
Quote from him in thread:
"it was always a lot of fun. for a while, shepard said that i had been along with him on more bombing missions than anyone (or maybe it was anyone in LA?). but that was years ago, so i'm sure i've lost that title by now."
Any Obey insiders got any info on this?
^True. Mr. Braindoosh had a bunch of footage of Shep bombing which is why Shep felt compelled (read: coerced) to help promote the LA show.

I don't know why some people can't take ETTGS for face value. It's a serendipitous tale of a shmuck who fooled acquisitive urban art fans during a bubble by his mere association with celebrities of the scene. To try and project (pun intended) anything else on to it is unfounded speculation or more likely, wishful thinking.
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

cybernigel wrote:Mr. Braindoosh had a bunch of footage of Shep bombing which is why Shep felt compelled (read: coerced) to help promote the LA show.

I don't know why some people can't take ETTGS for face value. It's a serendipitous tale of a shmuck who fooled acquisitive urban art fans during a bubble by his mere association with celebrities of the scene. To try and project (pun intended) anything else on to it is unfounded speculation or more likely, wishful thinking.
i couldn't agree with you more on both counts and it's what i've been saying for a very long time. the reason why people can't take it for face value because they can't admit they got fooled. it goes back to my point about protecting their investment, those who bought into MBW need to keep the charade going to prevent the value on the work they bought from becoming valued at a fraction of what they paid for it - which will happen.
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

cvansice wrote:Feel free to move to the Brainwash forum but there is enough Fairey content in here to make it relevant here (I think).

Saw this on Reddit today. Claims to have worked with Fairey and provides some insight in Brainwash/Fairey.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/f ... wash_from/
i don't know... someone could write all that stuff pretty easily... one of us. me? i've certainly read and seen enough... if i had a whole day to do nothing but make up stories about how i knew shepard and MBW it would be pretty easy. seems like this person has a lot of time on their hands.
on point like a decimalist?
samuraiwriter
Propaganda Engineer

Post by samuraiwriter »

I don't care either way. If it is a new work from Banksy Inc., that is a piece of art in itself, only time will tell. It's the never ending hype that permeates this board and others that bothers me. Win or lose, thank God the cycle is almost complete.

BTW, if "Waiting for Superman" loses to ETTGS (should it get the nom), I'll give up what little hope I have left in the future of my profession.
Optimus Rabbit
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Optimus Rabbit »

samuraiwriter wrote: BTW, if "Waiting for Superman" loses to ETTGS (should it get the nom), I'll give up what little hope I have left in the future of my profession.
Are you a professional complainer?
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

samuraiwriter wrote:I don't care either way. only time will tell. It's the never ending hype that permeates this board and others that bothers me.
The jury is no longer out. It is what it is. To suggest otherwise is to lend the very hype you condemn.
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
samuraiwriter
Propaganda Engineer

Post by samuraiwriter »

Optimus Rabbit wrote:
samuraiwriter wrote: BTW, if "Waiting for Superman" loses to ETTGS (should it get the nom), I'll give up what little hope I have left in the future of my profession.
Are you a professional complainer?
:lol:
samuraiwriter
Propaganda Engineer

Post by samuraiwriter »

cybernigel wrote:
samuraiwriter wrote:I don't care either way. only time will tell. It's the never ending hype that permeates this board and others that bothers me.
The jury is no longer out. It is what it is. To suggest otherwise is to lend the very hype you condemn.
I'll take that under advisement.
toobs
Giant

Post by toobs »

fribhey wrote:
cybernigel wrote:Mr. Braindoosh had a bunch of footage of Shep bombing which is why Shep felt compelled (read: coerced) to help promote the LA show.

I don't know why some people can't take ETTGS for face value. It's a serendipitous tale of a shmuck who fooled acquisitive urban art fans during a bubble by his mere association with celebrities of the scene.
Interesting article although I think its more hype for ETTGS, which IMO doesn't need it, its an amazing movie whether its fake or not (i doubt its fake) And like Fribs said, I was totally fooled when MBW first came out, I thought some the people backing him were pretty cool so I went to the show, but after the massive show in LA, I remember goin home and googling his name and tryin to find out anything about this guy, nothing, and i thought to myself how does any "street artist" with this much work, not have a past. He literally jus showed up on the scene one day and hasn't gone away since though i wish he would. No need in sayin that the following day after his big show I came to the conclusion that this frenchy was a fraud.
s_k_y
Propaganda Engineer

Post by s_k_y »

The reddit thread is definitely very interesting. Good read!
cvansice
Swindler

Post by cvansice »

pffft. Waiting for Superman is a piece of propaganda garbage. Truth is conveniently left out for the sake of a good story. The film quietly acknowledges that only one in five charter schools is able to get the amazing results shown in the film. Further consider the CREDO study, it evaluated student progress on math tests in half the nation’s five thousand charter schools and concluded that 17 percent were superior to a matched traditional public school; 37 percent were worse than the public school; and the remaining 46 percent had academic gains no different from that of a similar public school.

To keep my rant short. They chose a good school in a sea of garbage to make a point. The filmmaker ignores the academic variation in charter schools that exists just like it does in public schools. I could make a film showing the garbage-like test results of the charter schools in my neighborhood relative to the public schools. No one would watch because my name isn't Guggenheim and it'd be a crappy story. Did he look into charter schools whose administrators are paid $300,000-$400,000 to oversee small groups of students?

He ignores the studies done that show student achievement linked to income instead choosing to blame teachers. Do you really think teachers are problem for the problems in the American school system? It's convenient that he chose to follow students with involved parent rather kids who don't have an available parent.

....what the frankfurter am I doing. This is a Brainwash thread. I just hate how people are going ga ga over this movie /rant over

BTW I'm really happy those kids got to go to a better school. It's a good story for them but to make it more than that is really doing a disservice to the real problems. A LOT of kids in this country have know one that gives a frankfurter about them. Buts that's a lot harder to fix.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

toobs wrote: He literally jus showed up on the scene one day and hasn't gone away since though i wish he would. No need in sayin that the following day after his big show I came to the conclusion that this frenchy was a fraud.
This is why I feel that Shep/Banksy (primarily Banksy) put Thierry up to creating the MBW character. They did it as a joke. I think their joke took on a life of its own and this is why they are annoyed now. I dont think Shep/Banksy ever in thier wildest dreams thought that MBW would last longer than his first show in LA.
samuraiwriter
Propaganda Engineer

Post by samuraiwriter »

cvansice wrote:

A LOT of kids in this country have know one that gives a frankfurter about them. Buts that's a lot harder to fix.

That was a fun read. :lol:

You've obviously spent a great deal of time and energy thinking this issue through, with all those percentages and that. Delighted to hear that you did see the film and that it provoked "something" inside you re: public ed. The director was successful in that regard.

As a professional complainer, my hat's off to Mr. G for taking the time and shedding SOME light on the issue. That is one step toward fixing the problem. You are right, there are A LOT of kids in this country that know one gives a frankfurter about. There are also a helluva lot that do.
cvansice
Swindler

Post by cvansice »

You're right there are a lot that do but it's a huge problem that will take huge solutions. BTW I know the difference between no and know. iPhone autocorrect sucks sometimes.
samuraiwriter
Propaganda Engineer

Post by samuraiwriter »

cvansice wrote:You're right there are a lot that do but it's a huge problem that will take huge solutions. BTW I know the difference between no and know. iPhone autocorrect sucks sometimes.
This film will, hopefully, get everyday people and educators making strides towards finding those huge solutions. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Unlike The MBW empire, which seemingly was built in a day. (to bring us back on topic.) :D
sas
Posse

Post by sas »

Was it me or was that reddit thread hard to follow? Some one give me a Cliff Notes of who is saying what??
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

sas wrote:Was it me or was that reddit thread hard to follow? Some one give me a Cliff Notes of who is saying what??
Posts get voted up/down, def makes it confusing!

Basically it's someone regurgitating what we all already know.
on point like a decimalist?
JErikR
Giant

Post by JErikR »

Still, a really interesting read though. The trick: Just focus on the entries by the guy doing the AMA on the thread. If you generally skip the rest of the comments/banter, you can get a feel for what the guy is sharing.
JErikR