Charming Baker

Other Artists? We got 'em right here.
jak88
Giant

Re: Charming Baker

Post by jak88 »

I picked up "Love Paves Its Way to Decay" a while back ... it is large and beautifully done print. Almost looked like it was hand-finished the ink was so thick in places ... but CB swore it wasn't to me in a message.
jak88
Giant

Post by jak88 »

For anyone interested a new set of prints by Charming Baker is now available ...

http://www.charmingbaker.com/work/prints
hundreddollarhorse
Propaganda Engineer

Post by hundreddollarhorse »

Not his best
kladdict
Posse

Post by kladdict »

I just wish he had chose 4 more distinctive images. Why choose 4 rabbit images?
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

kladdict wrote:I just wish he had chose 4 more distinctive images. Why choose 4 rabbit images?
He started with just one and they multiplied. :wink:
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
s_k_y
Propaganda Engineer

Post by s_k_y »

cybernigel wrote:
kladdict wrote:I just wish he had chose 4 more distinctive images. Why choose 4 rabbit images?

:lol:

Agree with Kladdict, was excited to check out the new prints but kinda disappointed to see them all containing rabbits.
chaingang
Punk

Post by chaingang »

s_k_y wrote:
cybernigel wrote:

:lol:

Agree with Kladdict, was excited to check out the new prints but kinda disappointed to see them all containing rabbits.
He said on facebook that these prints were from a set of paintings that he had blasted with a gun. So it looks like there's something more than just cutesy rabbits going on here - but it's difficult to see from the pictures on his website.
jak88
Giant

Post by jak88 »

It's true. The rabbits have holes in them. Hard to see until the print is right in front of you.

Maybe the answer to question of why rabbits is because this upcoming year in Chinese calendar is Year of the Rabbit?
elmango
Punk

Post by elmango »

Here’s what that new suite of signed prints from Charming Baker looks like. Taken from his Love Is... series of paintings. All the originals were shot, hence the bullet holes. Full details are at http://www.charmingbaker.com

Love Is Frequently Feeling The Urge To Put You Out Of My Misery

Love Is Somehow Expecting You To Be Better Than I Am

Love Is Not Needing Any Help If You Are Intent On Staying Ignorant

Love Is Never Putting All You Eggs Into One Bastard

jak88
Giant

Post by jak88 »

Looks like Charming Baker has taken side in a longstanding feud ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-k5J4RxQdE

ChapPKP
Propaganda Engineer

Post by ChapPKP »

New Charming Baker up at Jealous Gallery.
I have been wanting the original bird print for a long time, so I am happy to get the second edution.

http://www.jealousgallery.com/artist.as ... p%20artist

Shipping to US a bit steep.
Check Out my EBAY Auctions:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZchappkp
danklax5
Giant

Post by danklax5 »

NOTE: PLEASE NOTE THIS PRINT IS AVAILABLE AT £250 as a pre release price. As of Tuesday 3rd May the price will increase to £350
"I make my own luck."
s_k_y
Propaganda Engineer

Post by s_k_y »

ChapPKP wrote:
Shipping to US a bit steep.
Agreed....it's the reason I passed actually. $90 to ship overseas? :?
elmango
Punk

Post by elmango »

elmango
Punk

Post by elmango »

From Charming Baker's new London show EVERY THING MUST GO

Solar
Giant

Post by Solar »

I like Mr. Baker's work quite a bit, but the hype machine is in full effect right now. I heard the prices in this show were between 40-80K or thereabouts, which is just hillarious considering work was in the $5-10K range before he signed up with Pat Magnarella (google him). I wish him the best, but that's a terrifying amount of money to drop on work from an artist who, a year ago was looked at by many as the less talented (but funnier) version of Ian Francis.
havana
Swindler

Post by havana »

Solar wrote:I like Mr. Baker's work quite a bit, but the hype machine is in full effect right now. I heard the prices in this show were between 40-80K or thereabouts, which is just hillarious considering work was in the $5-10K range before he signed up with Pat Magnarella (google him). I wish him the best, but that's a terrifying amount of money to drop on work from an artist who, a year ago was looked at by many as the less talented (but funnier) version of Ian Francis.
Agreed.
samuraiwriter
Propaganda Engineer

Post by samuraiwriter »

havana wrote:
Solar wrote:I like Mr. Baker's work quite a bit, but the hype machine is in full effect right now. I heard the prices in this show were between 40-80K or thereabouts, which is just hillarious considering work was in the $5-10K range before he signed up with Pat Magnarella (google him). I wish him the best, but that's a terrifying amount of money to drop on work from an artist who, a year ago was looked at by many as the less talented (but funnier) version of Ian Francis.
Agreed.
Love this guy. He get's better and better IMO. I do understand the Francis angle, but disagree with the idea he is "less talented (but funnier) version of Ian Francis." on the other hand, I agree the hype machine is totally in full effect and consequently is making things difficult for me!
:evil:
havana
Swindler

Post by havana »

havana wrote:
Agreed.
...Erm.... Having a look at the show, can I take back my comment? Hype is definitely in effect, but.... His work is really strong and he is very talented. In fact I am glad to be mistaken.
jak88
Giant

Post by jak88 »

Some of CB's newest prints are available again here:

http://www.artrepublic.com/artists/531- ... baker.html
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

elmango wrote:From Charming Baker's new London show EVERY THING MUST GO
Thanks for your post. I've never seen a CB show before, just pictures of the prints. Amazing stuff.
simococo
Swindler

Post by simococo »

He's a breath of fresh air I'm my opinion. Talent, wit and great application but his pricing is bonkers and gives micallef a run for his money. All the chaps classed as painterly and gifted seemed to have thrown reason out of the window when it comes to building a collector base of strength. Josh keys seems to have got it right though
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

simococo wrote:He's a breath of fresh air I'm my opinion. Talent, wit and great application but his pricing is bonkers and gives micallef a run for his money. All the chaps classed as painterly and gifted seemed to have thrown reason out of the window when it comes to building a collector base of strength. Josh keys seems to have got it right though
Probably because Keyes takes time to paint realistic imagery.
JErikR
Giant

Post by JErikR »

I like this guy's stuff. Never stopped to look until now. And the f**ker crow print made me laugh out loud.
JErikR
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

I had a buddy pick me up "the matador" print when he was in London a few weeks back. The silkscreens were pulled and signed at the gallery. They were 75 pounds each. A series of four were done like that. Evidently there was not much of a crowd. I know it ain't banksy but had I been in London I would have bought five of each.