Official Shepard Fairey OBEY Film

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
gpt104
Giant

Official Shepard Fairey OBEY Film

Post by gpt104 »

Saw this yesterday via Twitter. Pretty neat project and it seems to have true OG support:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/949 ... -obey-film

Hi, my name is Julian Marshall. I am a film Director from Washington, DC. I am directing the official narrative film about the early life of Shepard Fairey, and the origin story of his OBEY GIANT street art campaign. The film will go into production, on location in Providence, Rhode Island, in February 2012. We will be shooting on the RED EPIC Digital Cinema camera, the same camera system that Peter Jackson's The Hobbit is being shot on.

Before I get into the story description, I want to make the exciting distinction that this is not a documentary. It is a NARRATIVE FILM, approaching the origin of OBEY in a similar fashion to how The Social Network approached the origin of Facebook. Shepard has granted me his early life rights, hence the 'official' tag.

The Story:

The film takes place in Providence, Rhode Island, in September of 1990, when Shepard was attending Rhode Island School of Design, studying illustration. In an illustration class, titled Style and Substance, Shepard received a historic assignment that would later establish his legacy in Providence, Rhode Island. Each student in the class was given a fortune cookie, and tasked with illustrating his or her respective fortune. Shepard's fortune read: TO AFFECT THE QUALITY OF THE DAY IS NO SMALL ACHIEVEMENT. He then decided to paste his Andre graphic over the face of notorious Providence Mayor, Buddy Cianci, on his re-election billboard, located in the heart of the city. And to affect the quality of the day, HE DID! Not only was this the first billboard Shepard had ever done, It also attracted mass public exposure and had the news talking for days. At its base, this film is a success story about a young artist finding his voice in a world where machine politics control the conversation.
Collection & Wants: http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=3093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
schmidt
Posse

Re: Official Shepard Fairey OBEY Film

Post by schmidt »

Very Cool! I will pledge.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

Isn't the official look into Shepard's early career Helen's "Andre the Giant has A Posse"? I mean that film actually was made during his early caterer.
adambad
Giant

Post by adambad »

i had not seen this before.
destroyeric
Giant

Post by destroyeric »

will justin beiber be starring as the young shep?
trkr2007 wrote:so will someone let us know if this print is going to drop i need to get a haircut.....
Solar
Giant

Post by Solar »

spagucci1 wrote:Isn't the official look into Shepard's early career Helen's "Andre the Giant has A Posse"? I mean that film actually was made during his early caterer.
That's a documentary. This one will be a biopic (the director compares it to 'The Social Network').
halopigg
Giant

Post by halopigg »

I wonder if they will contact any of us for "props"
Who's got my old stickers?
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

adambad wrote:Image

i had not seen this before.
Isnt it in Supply and Demand? I know it's covered in Andre Has a Posse. They even interview Cianci. The AG/OK Soda campaign is covered in the doc as well. After seeing the documentary is when I decided I really wanted to own an AG/OK Soda print.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

spagucci1 wrote:Isn't the official look into Shepard's early career Helen's "Andre the Giant has A Posse"? I mean that film actually was made during his early caterer.
yeah and just because shep "granted" him "early life rights" doesn't make it "official" - at least it doesn't to me because i don't see anything that says the rights are exclusive. Helen already covered the "early life" part of OG, maybe someone should let this guy know.
Solar
Giant

Post by Solar »

fribhey wrote:
yeah and what makes this kickstart film "official" other than the filmmaker writing "official" in the title.
From the kickstarter listing:
Shepard has granted me his early life rights, hence the 'official' tag.
Guess it depends if you believe him or not, at least until there's an official comment from OG.
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

Solar wrote:
fribhey wrote:
yeah and what makes this kickstart film "official" other than the filmmaker writing "official" in the title.
From the kickstarter listing:
Shepard has granted me his early life rights, hence the 'official' tag.
Guess it depends if you believe him or not, at least until there's an official comment from OG.
i've already updated my post to clarify what i meant. for all we know "granting early life rights" means that he asked shepard if he would mind him making a film and shepard said it was ok. "granting early life rights" doesn't mean anything unless they are exclusive rights and nobody else can make a film about it his and OG's early life (which is too late since helen already did)
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

Why did Shep give the go ahead to a complete rookie who's never made a film in his life instead of an established Director, like Helen, who could hit this out of the park?

http://julianmarshallmedia.com/Resume/J ... e_2011.pdf
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

Maybe this will urge Helen to digitize her film if she has not already and make it available in DVD or iTunes format?
gpt104
Giant

Post by gpt104 »

cybernigel wrote:Why did Shep give the go ahead to a complete rookie who's never made a film in his life instead of an established Director, like Helen, who could hit this out of the park?

He did work at SNO/OG. And he is a RISD student. Maybe Shep saw glimses of his ownself when he was that age - a drive and determination to be successful. I give the kid credit for his approach - like the kickstarter concept. And his demo reel is well done.

I know nothing of Helen's work so I cannot speak to that. And I've never seen her Shep film since its only on VHS.
Collection & Wants: http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=3093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
havana
Swindler

Post by havana »

cybernigel wrote:Why did Shep give the go ahead to a complete rookie who's never made a film in his life instead of an established Director, like Helen, who could hit this out of the park?

Because he already gave the go ahead to another rookie once before.... Thierry Guetta.
(Sorry, I'll get my coat)....
wiredbeans
Propaganda Engineer

Post by wiredbeans »

spagucci1 wrote:Maybe this will urge Helen to digitize her film if she has not already and make it available in DVD or iTunes format?
and if she needs funds I'd gladly donate!!!!
kickstarter is waiting for you Helen!!!
JErikR
Giant

Post by JErikR »

wiredbeans wrote:
spagucci1 wrote:Maybe this will urge Helen to digitize her film if she has not already and make it available in DVD or iTunes format?
and if she needs funds I'd gladly donate!!!!
kickstarter is waiting for you Helen!!!
I second that.
JErikR
HStickler
Punk

Post by HStickler »

Thank you all for your support. I'll keep this brief ... I'm on a job now and not have much time for the web, sadly ... in a nutshell, I brought this kid in to work on my unfinished feature doc about Shep (the update to my 1995 short), that I was producing and directing in 2009. He was my intern and worked for credit for RISD, the school Shep and I met at. He had access to all my early archive footage and other proprietary material. He signed an assignment of intellectual property rights that made it clear anything he learned or acquired while working for me belonged to the project, and was not for him to use for any purpose (let along another film: documentary, narrative or puppet show, all are off limits). Now he is making this film, against my express wishes, basically retreading the material covered in my 1995 doc that discovered Shepard and "kick started" (pun intended) Shep's career back when nobody knew anything about Shep. Note he made no mention of working for me on a film, or any mention of my early work in his kickstart page. He never worked for Shep. He worked for me and my skeleton crew on my doc and there is a paper trail to attest to that. It's incredibly disrespectful.

Those are the facts and my feelings about them.
HStickler
Punk

Post by HStickler »

havana wrote:
Because he already gave the go ahead to another rookie once before.... Thierry Guetta.
(Sorry, I'll get my coat)....
best. comment. ever.
wiredbeans
Propaganda Engineer

Post by wiredbeans »

wow. glad i was giving myself time to process the whole idea of this film.
hope you get time soon to get your film out there!
It seems most people here want your film and were already skeptical about the 'official' film.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

Thanks for the update Helen! I hope this guys "official" movie gets the kaibosh put on it. I also hope you sue the hell outta this jerk and even file a criminal complaint for theft of intellectual property.

He should rename his move the Official Stolen From Helen Stickler Obey Film.
gpt104
Giant

Post by gpt104 »

Helen:
Wondering your thoughts on one line from the new film's kickstarter site:
"Shepard has granted me his early life rights, hence the 'official' tag"

Do you think it is true as stated or a misrepresentation?
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

I think people should post comments on his kickstarter page to let possible donators what the real deal is.
spagucci1
Giant

Post by spagucci1 »

fribhey wrote:I think people should post comments on his kickstarter page to let possible donators what the real deal is.
Already tied. Can't comment unless you donate.
adambad
Giant

Post by adambad »

helen...

were you the one behind the film crew at the white walls opening back in 09? was wondering what ever happened to that project. btw...id kickstart at you. fvck this guy, get that follow up film rolling and combo pack release it with your previous film on br/dvd.
best!