Obey Dallas 2012

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Obey Dallas 2012

Post by admonkey »

A collection of stuff as it happens. I might (or might not) try to organize it better, later.

"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Re: Obey Dallas 2012

Post by admonkey »

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairp ... _doing.php

The view from the foot of the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge is about to get a lot cooler. This afternoon a spotless rented silver minivan pulled up at 331 Singleton, a vacant West Dallas office space with a large, invitingly blank outer wall. A group of four guys rolled from the van and started unloading things onto the ground: plastic paint bins, cans of spray-on adhesive, a paint-splattered, non-matching set of aprons.

"If there were a theme to these murals, it's peace and harmony," said Shepard Fairey. He wore a black zip-up hoodie and battered sneakers; now in his '40s, his blonde hair is tinged with gray. He unrolled a set of renderings and showed them to us. All the images are done in bold outlines of red, white and black; he pointed out one of a lovely woman with her eyes closed, a rose in her hair and a peace sign pendant around her neck. "That's a portrait of my wife meditating," he explained. "But the peace sign is subtly in there."

Fairey's in town for the first time in almost 10 years as part of a partnership with the Dallas Contemporary. The museum invited him to do a series of murals throughout this week all over West Dallas; he began today with the building on Singleton. They'll celebrate on Thursday with a DC members-only book-signing event, followed by a free discussion that's open to the public. There's also a "commencement" celebration scheduled for Saturday, a "neon-themed dance extravaganza" for which you can purchase tix here.

Fairey pointed out another image of a woman with her eyes cast upward, next to the legend "Rise Above."

​"This is based on a few different references," he said. "It's no one specific. It's this idea of defiant positivity." Behind him, his team of three guys hopped on motorized lifts and ascended to the top of the building wall. They took paper stencils of the designs and started to affix them to the building with adhesive spray. They'll spray-paint the images, then remove the stencils and fill in the rest with paint. The wind buffeted them around the tiny platforms of the lift and wreaked havoc with the paper stencils they were trying to unroll. They barely seemed to notice.

"I try to incorporate a little bit of humor in my images," Fairey said conversationally, one eye on the crew. He showed us one slogan that will go on the building, which read something like: "This has been called to your attention so you will know it has not been forgotten: PEACE."

"I have this idea that peace should be the status quo, rather than conflict. Unfortunately, it's the other way around," Fairey said. The murals will also include some abstract floral patterns, each bearing his "Obey star" in the center. Those were inspired, he said, by Hawaiian quilt designs. Although the museum asked Fairey to come, he's financed the cost of bringing the crew and materials in himself.

The property owners -- Stuart Fitts, Phil Romano and Butch McGregor -- showed up, looking just a bit apprehensive. "We appreciate the space," Fairey told them, shaking each of their hands. They chatted politely for a while about the Dallas art scene, the ridiculous wind that was slowing down the pace of the work.

"We wanted to see what he was putting up before giving him carte blanche," Fitts told us. Behind him, a larger Obey started to take shape on the far left edge of the wall. "But it's fine."

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairp ... _doing.php

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/mixmast ... t_work.php

Shepard Fairey and his crew kicked off their city-wide art project this afternoon at 331 Singleton. This is the first of several large scale murals that Shepard has designed to dress up Dallas' nekkid walls. Take a first peek, and then read a little more about today's scene on Unfair Park.

It all leads up to Fairey and the Dallas Contemporary's Phenomenon dance party on Saturday night. But do check back daily: We'll be supplementing you with photos until the last stencil is filled so that you can follow along with Fairey's work.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/mixmast ... t_work.php

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Slideshow from WFAA.

"Graphic artist Shepard Fairey is painting two murals along Singleton Boulevard in Dallas, and about a dozen more in other parts of the city. Fairey created the iconic "Hope" poster of Barack Obama during his campaign for president. Dallas Contemporary is paying for the project to promote neighborhood development and outside art."

http://www.wfaa.com/news/slideshows/Pho ... =y&ref=%2F

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Slideshow and interview from Pegasus news.

"Illustrator Shepard Fairey, who is most famous for his Barack Obama "hope" poster from the 2008 presidential campaign, is in Dallas this week to paint several murals carrying messages of peace. He was invited to the city by members of the Dallas Contemporary and will play host to an event called Phenomenon on February 4, billed as a "neon-inspired dance party."

While painting, Fairey is also working with artists from Sour Grapes, a group of graffiti artists in Dallas. We caught Fairey in action as he painted a mural on Singleton Boulevard in West Dallas and had him talk about his Dallas projects.

Pegasus News: What are the themes of all the murals?

Shepard Fairey: The themes of all these murals are basically peace and harmony. Since I do a lot of political work but some building owners don't want me to be too controversial, I'm using subject matter that is true to what I believe in but is, I think, pretty much universally accepted as positive. So, I used my wife as a model. She's in a meditative state and that's what this mural is going to be. The mural around the corner says "Rise Above," but basically [is] trying to encourage people to get along and be peaceful.

Why did you choose Dallas for this mural project?
I'm friends with Peter Doroshenko, the director of the Dallas Contemporary Museum, and worked on a street art project with him in New Castle and in the U.K., and now he's here and suggested that I come to do some murals here. There's a -- seems like a growing art scene in Dallas, which is exciting. So, I'm all for putting my art work on the city streets in any metropolis where a lot of people are going to see it. I think art should be for more than just indoors and galleries and museums. I think it's a great way to create a dialog in public space.

What's it been like to work with the Sour Grapes?

The sour Grapes crew offered us some other walls to hit. We're going to try to get as much finished as possible so that we can go and just restyle whatever walls are available. It's really generous for Dallas locals to offer us wall space and some guidance and great hospitality.

Besides the hours Fairey spends painting, he told us he's staying at the Belmont Hotel in Oak Cliff and has eaten at the nearby restaurant Smoke. "I'm from the South so I love good southern food with barbecue," he said."

http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2012/ja ... st-dallas/

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Interview, with video, from a local CBS affiliate.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/01/31/stre ... st-dallas/

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – For decades, the story of West Dallas has been one of poverty, neglect, and hard times. It’s hardly the place one would go looking for great art.

Until now.

“Art’s good for any neighborhood, but especially up and coming neighborhoods,” says celebrated graphic artist, Shepard Fairey, “I think it peaks the interest of younger people who will come and try and do something cool and positive, so I think it’s especially good for up and coming neighborhoods.”

Shepard Fairey has been called the most accomplished graphic artist of our time… skyrocketing to fame after creating the “Hope” poster for President Barack Obama. The original now hangs in the Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery.

“The Obama poster became a viral phenomenon that I never would have imaged and that was really amazing for me,” says Fairey. “A lot of people feel they can’t become involved beyond voting… I made a poster that demonstrated that any person with a desire to participate in addition to voting can do something , with the potential for it to become bigger.”

Dallas Contemporary, which revels in the edginess of Fairey’s art, commissioned the project. Its director, Peter Doroshenko, loves Fairey’s ability to provoke reaction, no matter where his eerily bold images leave their imprint.

“This is a way to engage many, many thousands of people in their communities and give something back… and hopefully lighten up their day, bring art to a trip to the bank, or to the post office,” says Doroshenko.

Fairey, 42, grew up in South Carolina, where in 1984 he launched his career drawing on skateboards and T-shirts. In 1992, he graduated from the elite Rhode Island School of Design, which is also the alma mater of L.A. sculptor Elliott Hundley, whose new show opened Saturday at the Nasher Sculpture Center.

In 1989, Fairey created his famous “André the Giant Has a Posse” sticker, which evolved into the Obey Giant campaign. Time magazine sharply heightened his profile by having him design its 2008 Person of the Year cover (Obama). He got an encore by doing its 2011 Person of the Year cover (“The Protester,” in deference to Occupy Wall Street, Arab Spring and other international movements).

Fairey’s work “reaches out to individuals who don’t have a background in art or art history. But when you see his work on the streets, it stops you. You don’t expect to see artwork going to the bank. It’s hard not to see his work anywhere in the world and not have an emotional response”, says Doroshenko.

Always the artist, Fairey says, “I think it’ll be great for people to come and check out the art in person when it’s finished.” An opening celebration for the city-wide mural project is on Saturday, February 4 from 9 PM until midnight at Dallas Contemporary, 161 Glass Street. Shepard Fairey will DJ the music. Tickets are $50. Visit www.dallascontemporary.org for more information.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/01/31/stre ... st-dallas/

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
rlbchef
Giant

Post by rlbchef »

Thanks for all the updates! cant wait to see them completed and the others when they are up.
PDC
Giant

Post by PDC »

Good 'ol Shepard "Frehley". Brother of famous KISS guitarist, Ace.

Thanks for all the posts.
leveronea
Posse

Post by leveronea »

I love that butterfly sweatshirt.
creestofer
Propaganda Engineer

Post by creestofer »

leveronea wrote:I love that butterfly sweatshirt.
it's actually a moth, printed back in fall '06
it seems to me that to call an achieved work 'good art' and an unachieved work 'bad art,' is like calling one color 'good red' and another 'bad red' when the second one is green.
noweyesee
Punk

Post by noweyesee »

Hope you don't mind me adding to the collective!

Shepard Fairey Caught Red, Gold and Black Handed: Day 3

Today we can see the transformation on Fairey's first wall depicting the side profile of a girl with a flower in her hair. Shepard and crew worked deep into Tuesday night and again today so that they could complete her. New walls have been started with more to come, so check back tomorrow for photo updates. When the whole project is over we'll have time-lapsed video of the pieces being created.
Stay tuned.

And now, pretty pictures on giant canvases.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/mixmast ... d_gold.php
Jason Filipow
JRF

Post by Jason Filipow »

Mack-Thanks for posting lots of great photos...these new, painted murals are a bit more minimal when compared to the collaged, wheat pasted murals. IMHO, of course.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Jason Filipow wrote:Mack-Thanks for posting lots of great photos...these new, painted murals are a bit more minimal when compared to the collaged, wheat pasted murals. IMHO, of course.
I agree, but they have to be-- the time and labor involved is insane*.

That said, I also believe that, in a lot of ways, the new process-- possibly because of the simplification-- makes them pop off the wall more.

I always loved the paste technique. These things, the new paint technique, make Joe Blow on the street stop in his tracks and go, "Whoah." I mean, literally. Several times. All day long. Saw it happen.

*I was able to help Shepard (and Nic and Z) install paste murals at SXSW four or five years ago. We did seven murals in one day, and didn't even START the day's first mural until after lunch. We hauled a^s, to be sure, but SEVEN freaking murals. In a short day. The time involved in this new process, by comparison to the old, is nuts. If they ever do get more detailed or complex-- and they might, but Shepard's style has always been relatively minimalistic-- it'll knock him down to having to limit the murals in a new city to one per week (or have a much larger, less manageable Posse).

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Time-lapse of the first mural install shot by a buddy of mine at the Dallas Morning News.

You might need a subscription, so I'm dropping a couple of links for you to try as work-arounds should one or the other fail to get you through the paywall.

ONE: http://www.dallasnews.com/entertainment ... -lapse.ece

TWO: http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http:/ ... xYRzLF57pA

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Dallas Design District news.

http://www.dallasdesigndistrict.net/201 ... es-dallas/

The murals have started to go up around Dallas featuring the art of renowned graphic designer/DJ/artist Shepard Fairey. Known for his Obama “Hope” poster, OBEY GIANT sticker campaign and designing the 2008 and 2011 “Person of the Year” covers for Time Magazine, his latest project will include the Design District, West Dallas, Oak Cliff and Deep Ellum.

Set up through the Dallas Contemporary Museum, Fairey arrived in Dallas on Jan. 30 and will be working on his murals and hosting events at the museum all week.

Thursday evening, the Contemporary will host a Shepard Fairey book-signing at 6 p.m. for members only. You can sign up for membership here. At 7 p.m., after the signing, the event will open to the public for a chit-chat with the artist, during which attendees can hear and ask questions about his work.

The week culminates with PHENOMENON on Saturday at the Contemporary, an over-the-top, neon-inspired dance party from 9 p.m. to midnight featuring Shepard Fairey as the DJ. Tickets are $50 and are available on the museum’s website.

If you can’t make the events, at least stop by the nearest mural — locations will be posted after their completion. The Dallas Observer is following Fairey around this week, so you can stay up to date here.

CADD is also organizing a bus tour of the murals, along with other locations, on Feb. 11. You can sign up here.
Basically, you have no excuse not to see them!

http://www.dallasdesigndistrict.net/201 ... es-dallas/

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

LAST LINK FOR THE NIGHT:

Here's the photo folder I'm keeping on my Facebook of the behind the scenes cr^p:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 8356481b53

I'll be adding to it, of course, as the week goes on, and will probably be including a few things from a surprise guest who's flying in tomorrow (with plans to hit the town on Friday).

And here's the story on "Dalton Green," one of the guys you'll see a lot of in the folder. He's a young design student at the University of North Texas (and also a professional Motocross racer (no, really)). His aunt was-- no sh^t, I kid you not-- my girlfriend in Junior High (!!). She hit me up about a month ago and asked if I could get her nephew involved in what was going on. Thanks to Shepard and the Posse's generosity, I managed to swing it and the whole crew took him under their wings. He's having a blast. Probably the time of his life.

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
TheOmethod
Ministry of Information

Post by TheOmethod »

Thanks for the great photos and update
JErikR
Giant

Post by JErikR »

Really fantastic photos and updates!
JErikR
noweyesee
Punk

Post by noweyesee »

Awesome photos, thanks for the inside scoop! Looking forward to seeing everything this weekend.
Patillac13
Lucky Bastard

Post by Patillac13 »

admonkey wrote:*I was able to help Shepard (and Nic and Z) install paste murals at SXSW four or five years ago. We did seven murals in one day, and didn't even START the day's first mural until after lunch. We hauled a^s, to be sure, but SEVEN freaking murals. In a short day. The time involved in this new process, by comparison to the old, is nuts. If they ever do get more detailed or complex-- and they might, but Shepard's style has always been relatively minimalistic-- it'll knock him down to having to limit the murals in a new city to one per week (or have a much larger, less manageable Posse).
I assume, with wheat paste murals, you spend most of the time prepping pasters, painting large elements and getting everything planned out... then you quickly (in the grand scheme of things) execute the murals. But with stencil murals, you quickly (in the grand scheme of things) get the files ready and printed... then you spend most of the time prepping the stencils on the walls and painting.

Many hours of prep, then some more hours of execution versus some hours of prep, then many more hours of execution.

I love these painted murals.
"everyone needs to chill or I'm stopping the internet." - submit

http://obeygiant.com/bootlegs/pat-jensen-has-a-posse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shopping on Amazon? Use this link and help thegiant.org!
EFE
Giant

Post by EFE »

Wow, abit late to this thread. Thx for all the pics and updates.
QKocur
Giant

Post by QKocur »

I love the "rise above" being put behind that white tree!
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

Very cool. Thanks for the pics
creestofer
Propaganda Engineer

Post by creestofer »

really rad coverage so far, thanks for the updates
it seems to me that to call an achieved work 'good art' and an unachieved work 'bad art,' is like calling one color 'good red' and another 'bad red' when the second one is green.
creestofer
Propaganda Engineer

Post by creestofer »

Some more photos Furlong just threw up on obey clothing:
http://obeyclothing.com/blog/?p=21811