Tuesday 3/20 Anticipation Thread

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
henna
-

Post by henna »

pass
noverflow wrote:This area is to complain, not to call people out. (except henna because he said he likes it, and it keeps us happy)
Tad Ghostal
Giant

Post by Tad Ghostal »

So, does that mean you'll get several prints for each edition of AP that is included in the set? Meaning, for $250, you're going to get 10+ prints?
DunDun
Giant

Post by DunDun »

Tad Ghostal wrote:So, does that mean you'll get several prints for each edition of AP that is included in the set? Meaning, for $250, you're going to get 10+ prints?

4 per mag. So yes. :D but beware if you get the older ones like #4 w/ Kinsey, it's probably a fold out. It looks like everyone is gonna get #8 w. Ryden, and that's a mail in form.
sammyman
Swindler

Post by sammyman »

DunDun wrote:
Tad Ghostal wrote:So, does that mean you'll get several prints for each edition of AP that is included in the set? Meaning, for $250, you're going to get 10+ prints?

4 per mag. So yes. :D but beware if you get the older ones like #4 w/ Kinsey, it's probably a fold out. It looks like everyone is gonna get #8 w. Ryden, and that's a mail in form.

I saw this on eBay and noticed that Mark Ryden print is void. Does that mean that these prints have been expired, or can you still mail in for a signed Ryden print?
influence
Giant

Post by influence »

Rumor has it that in each magazine in the box set there will be a secret code which we have to put together with the other magazines that will lead to a secret URL to a site that gives us a free Grenade Girl.

Just a rumor though...
sammyman
Swindler

Post by sammyman »

byinfluence wrote:Rumor has it that in each magazine in the box set there will be a secret code which we have to put together with the other magazines that will lead to a secret URL to a site that gives us a free Grenade Girl.

Just a rumor though...

Where did you hear that?
DunDun
Giant

Post by DunDun »

byinfluence wrote:Just a rumor though...
ritedere
Giant

Post by ritedere »

sammyman wrote:
byinfluence wrote:Rumor has it that in each magazine in the box set there will be a secret code which we have to put together with the other magazines that will lead to a secret URL to a site that gives us a free Grenade Girl.

Just a rumor though...

Where did you hear that?

I read it too at http://www.gullibleforums.com
sammyman
Swindler

Post by sammyman »

ritedere wrote:
sammyman wrote:

Just a rumor though...

Where did you hear that?

I read it too at http://www.gullibleforums.com

:twisted:
Last edited by sammyman on Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
ashot2kill
Posse

Post by ashot2kill »

:?: :?: :?: WOW!!!
JohnnyKO
Swindler

Post by JohnnyKO »

Does anyone have any more details (or better yet, photos) of previous Art Prostitute prints? Size, method, quality, paper, etc?

Also, I'm wondering if we're guaranteed that the mail-in prints are still available, being that these are back issues and all.

I'm waging a fierce debate with myself over whether to try for this one or save my money for the next few waves of OG prints- and I think that the Art Prostitute prints are the key decision factor!
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

The prints are litho. Not signed. The ones that came with the magazine were folded. This is not investment material unless there is a signed Ryden in the mix. IMHO.
Molotov Man
Black Book Gallery

Post by Molotov Man »

sammyman wrote:
DunDun wrote:

I saw this on eBay and noticed that Mark Ryden print is void. Does that mean that these prints have been expired, or can you still mail in for a signed Ryden print?

There was never a SIGNED Mark Ryden print that came w/ the original magazine. After the fact AP offered the Signed Mark Ryden which was discussed here:

http://forum.thegiant.org/viewtopic.php ... unny+print

You could never mail in for a Mark Ryden signed print. I doubt that the print included in this set is signed.

Molotov
Molotov Man
Black Book Gallery

Post by Molotov Man »

robotoil wrote:The prints are litho. Not signed. The ones that came with the magazine were folded. This is not investment material unless there is a signed Ryden in the mix. IMHO.

I agree that the "Prints" in this set should not be an "investment" factor because they are Lithos, unsigned and there were thousands of them printed

Molotov
Jason Filipow
JRF

Post by Jason Filipow »

Quick note on the included copies of Art Prostitute; issues 01-08 are included; ALL attached redemption coupons have been voided with a red stamps (boooo!) but all issues that originally contained a fold out poster, roughly 15" x 15", are included.
brothernigel
Punk

Post by brothernigel »

that's so raven.
Volcom99
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Volcom99 »

Am I crazy in thinking that one of these days Shepard is gonna be over silkscreen posters, the ebay flipping issues, the comercialization of his street roots image, etc. and totally bust out in a different direction and suprise everone? I love his prints and everything he's done, but it's been 18 years of poster-ism, what's the evolution for this thing? Are we gonna see silkscreen prints for the next 20 years? I'm not talking trash it just seems like there is a big enough following that Shepard could initiate a huge shift in his creativity.
Molotov Man
Black Book Gallery

Post by Molotov Man »

Prints allow for everyone to enjoy an artists work. My feeling is that there will be prints for a LONG, LONG time to come. The 16,17,18 year old kids using their parents money to buy prints now, will be buying originals w/in 5 to 10 years and a new gen of kids using their parents money to buy prints will come along. This also gives artists "pretty" easy money, so why would they stop that? Prints and street art, that is Shepard. i think it is so engrained in him that he will be doing it until he is 100 yrs old.

Molotov
Shonquan
Giant

Post by Shonquan »

brothernigel wrote:

that's so raven.

Brothernigels random "that's so raven" posts crack me up. Thank you sir.
Last edited by Shonquan on Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volcom99
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Volcom99 »

I guess my biggest question is that, from an artist's point of view, can you ever get bored of a medium? Will 18x24 inches of paper ever seem like old news? Of course there are plenty of other mediums that he uses, but I was curious of everyone's opinion.
That's my word.
Jason Filipow
JRF

Post by Jason Filipow »

Volcom99 wrote: it just seems like there is a big enough following that Shepard could initiate a huge shift in his creativity.

I'ts already happening and will be most apparent by the end of 2007. Shepard is starting to create more and more 'fine art' things and do more fine art shows. While screenprinting still has it's role within that fine artwork, you will see more unique and one-off type stuff, murals and installs...one of the reasons I moved to LA to work with Shepard was to help with all the fine art stuff, and if you look at the fine art and how it's been received and how high the demand is, the 'shift in creativity' is in progress now.
shotgun
Swindler

Post by shotgun »

So in a broader sense, how do you think the shift in style/execution will affect the demand for the screen prints?
Volcom99
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Volcom99 »

Jason--see this is what I'm talking about! I'm not knocking prints but I can't wait to see what "fine art" pieces are to come. Are there any schedules listed for shows in Cali? Also, I saw the Obey chopper, but when is Shepard going to customize something big, like a car, van, entire side of a building in LA? just some suggestions...
That's my word.
oxford26
Posse

Post by oxford26 »

I've noticed the increase in fine art pieces as well and unfortunately they are difficult to come by. I remember just last year going to SNO and seeing stacks of metal and wood pieces (this was prior to DW's Hard Copy) available for purchase. Now I am told they are all gone.

Jason - for the high end items do we need to go to shows / galleries to find them or will there be a "fine art" section added to OG. I recall seeing a link for this a couple of years ago but nothing has been on it for at least a year and a half.
JohnnyKO
Swindler

Post by JohnnyKO »

Boy, this thread has about 1/35 the calories of last weeks Anticipation thread. Where did everyoine go?