Anticipation: Ai Weiwei

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
Abrogate
Giant

Anticipation: Ai Weiwei

Post by Abrogate »

No official word yet, but here's the announcement from the LA Times.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/ar ... z2wR5Bz6aM

I wasn't familiar with the subject and had to do a little digging. Here's his wiki article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ai_Weiwei
"the greatest form of sanity anyone can exercise is to resist the force that is trying to repress,oppress and fight down the human spirit."-Mumia Abu Jamal
Abrogate
Giant

Re: Anticipation: Ai Weiwei

Post by Abrogate »

"the greatest form of sanity anyone can exercise is to resist the force that is trying to repress,oppress and fight down the human spirit."-Mumia Abu Jamal
Solar
Giant

Post by Solar »

Killer
mllk
Punk

Post by mllk »

wow!
submethod
Giant

Post by submethod »

Wow!
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

Abrogate wrote:I wasn't familiar with the subject and had to do a little digging. Here's his wiki article:
you're not familiar with Ai Weiwei?

here's his thread:
http://forum.thegiant.org/viewtopic.php ... =Ai+Weiwei
JErikR
Giant

Post by JErikR »

I don't want him on my wall, but really cool image. Love the "beard on fire" treatment.
JErikR
Abrogate
Giant

Post by Abrogate »

conartstudio wrote:
Abrogate wrote:I wasn't familiar with the subject and had to do a little digging. Here's his wiki article:
you're not familiar with Ai Weiwei?

here's his thread:
http://forum.thegiant.org/viewtopic.php ... =Ai+Weiwei
I guess I was behind the times.
Thanks for the link, some cool stuff there. The Zodiac/Chinese Calendar sculptures are pretty sweet.
rlbchef
Giant

Post by rlbchef »

very nice
EFE
Giant

Post by EFE »

Haroshi posted a photo of his studiovisit . Nice canvas on the left and behind Shep. ;)
password
Giant

Post by password »

password
Giant

Post by password »

Stonecutterjeff
Swindler

Post by Stonecutterjeff »

tickets go on sale april 1st. will the print be sold then or when the show starts on april 18th?

April 18–August 10, 2014
Morris A. and Meyer Schapiro Wing, 4th and 5th Floors

Ai Weiwei: According to What? will have a special admission fee, and advance tickets will go on sale online Tuesday, April 1. Free for Members.

Ai Weiwei is one of China’s most prolific and provocative contemporary artists. Featuring over thirty works spanning more than twenty years, Ai Weiwei: According to What? explores universal topics of culture, history, politics, and tradition, showcasing the artist’s remarkably interdisciplinary career as a photographer, sculptor, architect, and activist.

These works spotlight issues of freedom of expression, as well as individual and human rights both in China and globally. Many use minimal forms and methods, while others manipulate traditional furniture, ancient pottery, and daily objects in ways that question cultural values and challenge political authority.

Ai is best known for projects such as his collaboration with Herzog & de Meuron on the 2008 Beijing Olympic National Stadium, as well as his embrace of the Internet and social media as a platform for his activism. Despite his arrest and eighty-one-day detention in 2011, Ai has continued to create art that transcends dualities between East and West.

Ai Weiwei: According to What? is organized by the Mori Art Museum, Tokyo. It is curated by Mami Kataoka, Mori Art Museum Chief Curator, and the Brooklyn presentation is organized by Sharon Matt Atkins, Managing Curator of Exhibitions, Brooklyn Museum.

This exhibition in Brooklyn has been made possible by Lisson Gallery, Mary Boone Gallery, the Andrew J. and Christine C. Hall Foundation, the May and Samuel Rudin Family Foundation, Galerie Urs Meile, and the Martha A. and Robert S. Rubin Exhibition Fund. Additional support is provided by the American Chai Trust for education and public programs.

http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/exhibitions/ai_weiwei/
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

It's cool because he can later re-release this as a Confucius print.
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

http://www.obeygiant.com/headlines/shep ... -ai-weiwei

The Ai Weiwei print will be available as a limited edition of 375; the artist is donating 100 posters to the Brooklyn Museum, which will present an Ai Weiwei retrospective exhibition, “Ai Weiwei: According to What?” from April 18 through August 10, 2014. Thanks to Pace Prints for their support.

18 x 24 inch screen print.
Signed and numbered edition of 375.
Photography by Gao Yuan, 2010

better photo:
whyhoo
itsame

Post by whyhoo »

sounds like we may see an OG drop as only 100 are going to the museum
on point like a decimalist?
summoner
Giant

Post by summoner »

whyhoo wrote:sounds like we may see an OG drop as only 100 are going to the museum
Hopefully that is the same with Marley.
DunDun
Giant

Post by DunDun »

At this rate Shepard is going to remembered more for this portraits of famous figures in history(Ali, Obama, Marcos, etc) than anything else.
conartstudio wrote:the majority here enjoy art, the majority on EB enjoy profiting off of art. people become ruthless when money is involved.
Stonecutterjeff
Swindler

Asked Pace Prints today if they had any info. This is all I got.

"Hi ,
The print will be available through Shepard Fairey's website, with others available through the Brooklyn Museum. Shepard will be updating his site with release date information. You can find out more info here: http://www.obeygiant.com/headlines/shep ... -ai-weiwei
Thanks!"

So looks like a online release of 275. Wonder if their be a different price point. Could see museum selling those 100 at a mark up for a donation to the museum. But I'm also new to the print game so I have no clue.
Last edited by Stonecutterjeff on Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
JErikR
Giant

Post by JErikR »

DunDun wrote:At this rate Shepard is going to remembered more for this portraits of famous figures in history(Ali, Obama, Marcos, etc) than anything else.
That's a good thing.
JErikR
Stonecutterjeff
Swindler

Just got this email from the Brooklyn Museum. The partner level starts at 375. I guess i have to wait for the online drop.

Dear Mr. ,

Thank you for your interest in the Shepard Fairey's special limited edition portrait of Ai Weiwei.

This print will be available for sale this spring exclusively to Brooklyn Museum Members at the Partner level and above as one of the special benefits surrounding Ai Weiwei. Members will receive information on the terms of sale. Please visit our Membership page for more information on joining the Museum - and be sure to visit this groundbreaking exhibition, opening April 17 exclusively for Members and April 18 for the general public!

Thank you and kind regards,

Brooklyn Museum Membership Office
shawndoc
Posse

Post by shawndoc »

:: snicker ::
jjttdw
Mono Enojado

Post by jjttdw »

Stonecutterjeff wrote:Just got this email from the Brooklyn Museum. The partner level starts at 375. I guess i have to wait for the online drop.

Dear Mr. ,

Thank you for your interest in the Shepard Fairey's special limited edition portrait of Ai Weiwei.

This print will be available for sale this spring exclusively to Brooklyn Museum Members at the Partner level and above as one of the special benefits surrounding Ai Weiwei. Members will receive information on the terms of sale. Please visit our Membership page for more information on joining the Museum - and be sure to visit this groundbreaking exhibition, opening April 17 exclusively for Members and April 18 for the general public!

Thank you and kind regards,

Brooklyn Museum Membership Office

oooof. I had a mule lined up too.
summoner
Giant

Post by summoner »

Cost of Expression
Screen Print
18 x 24
Edition of 375
$60
Purchase limit of 1 per person / household.
Release date: Tuesday April 8, 2014 between 1 and 2pm in PRINTS

Be there or be a crybaby that talks garbage and follows you from forum to forum. :lol:
voice1
Swindler

Post by voice1 »

Not signed by Ai Weiwei I am assuming?