Help finding print in the site database

Questions, Questions, Questions. You got 'em? We'll answer 'em!
capadon
panfish

Help finding print in the site database

Post by capadon »

Hi folks,

I'm trying to find a print in the database, but I'm not having much luck, as I don't know it's title.

It's a large format Obey icon print with gold leaf stencil.

Any help would be appreciated! Pics below.

Thank you very much!

capadon
panfish

Re: Help finding print in the site database

Post by capadon »

Thanks for the quick reply, bsharp! I do have a follow-up question, though.

The database states that Obey '95 gallery edition was an edition of 10. The version I have is an edition of 91. It also has a chop mark in the lower left that looks to be of a poodle. If I recall correctly, I purchased this in, or around, 2011.

Any additional thoughts?
bsharp
Posse

Post by bsharp »

The poodle chop is just from Modern Multiples which screened a lot of larger Obey prints back in the day.

Not sure about the edition of 91 -- the non-gold edition was 89 and it doesn't make sense that this edition would be larger.

Do you have close up shots of the signature and the numbering?
capadon
panfish

Post by capadon »

Yes, I do. See below.

I just took the pics of the signature and edition number, and can see that it does look like there's an "05" next to the signature.

bsharp
Posse

Post by bsharp »

That's odd. The Obey 95 print was an edition of 89 (usually Shep's anniversary images are edition 89 as a nod to starting OG in 1989), and the HPMs of those are usually edition of 19. The signature looks like a legit 05 sig and the numbers look like Shep's numbers. I think he stopped numbering the prints himself well before 2005 though which is also confusing here.

I don't think I've seen an edition of 91 before. The only explanation I thought of was somebody accidentally writing 91 instead of 19 but this isn't an HPM, so I'm out of ideas. Maybe somebody else here knows something about this particular edition.

Where did you buy it?
capadon
panfish

Post by capadon »

I _probably_ should have done this before posting... but, I took a look through my old PMs, and ran across one from September 2011 that pertains. It looks like I purchased the print through Outer Edge Studios, and it was referred to in that PM as an "unframed '95 floral".

The email also makes reference to Shepard's print exhibition in Sand City, CA. I found this article from Arrested Motion that has some pics from the show, and you can see a framed version of it in a couple of the shots. Unfortunately, you can't make out the edition size when zooming in on the larger pic.

https://arrestedmotion.com/2011/08/open ... dependent/

Here's a link to this forum's thread on the Sand City show. The print is referred to as the "94 floral" in that thread.

http://forum.thegiant.org/viewtopic.php ... &start=200

I went back and looked at the 2011 section on the print database, and I didn't see anything listed as either the 94, or 95, floral. Should this be added?
vvk
Giant

Post by vvk »

frankfurter awesome print. is that Metallic gold flake?
capadon
panfish

Post by capadon »

Yes, it is.
nixon451
Giant

Post by nixon451 »

Did the edition size mystery ever get solved?

I'm sure the people at Modern Multiples would know the answer.
capadon
panfish

Post by capadon »

I’ve not found anything definitive. Looks like 91 on my print.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Agree that it looks like an '05 signature; I'm iffy-ish on the numbering, but it does have that je ne sais quoi.

The OG 10 + AP do not have the MM chop.

My best guess is somewhere in the approximate neighborhood of being a part of a MM PP set.

With Duardo being physically absent from this plane these days, the go-to for something more definitive would be A.J., I'd think.
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.