New Print: Two Sides of Capital OFFICIAL ANTICIPATION THREAD

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

snowphun wrote:
djsp wrote:
easycraig wrote:-I bet I can frame both of mine for under 100 bones... total!
If you can do it, please share your info. And post receipts . :lol:
Making your own frames isn't hard, and can be fun. Use a router on trim wood from Home Depot (or select a pre mitered trim that you like), miter cut to length, glue and clamp, then paint. I don't bother to make frames for 18x24's but always do for odd sizes. I have a number of 26x38 movie posters that look good enough for me. :)
-my thoughts exactly... I am going to give my Andre a shot here real soon.
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

robotoil wrote:I'm betting that more then half of these never make it on to the wall due to framing/wife issues. .02.

-how's the Applause hanging? :lol:
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

-You knew this release would be special...... right now its about 85 degrees, sunny, and raining!!!! No joke... the Gods are smiling on these fine art pieces....
A New Hot Girl Joins the Giant.org every minute!
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

-I know at this point... I am just talking to myself... but this would make sense... they released 40 as sets and 49 of each as singles = 89 total. There are 7 sets left and 49 of bad and 48 of good ( so someone bought just the good -loom-side )

-back to watching the detectives....
robotoil
Giant

Post by robotoil »

easycraig wrote:
robotoil wrote:I'm betting that more then half of these never make it on to the wall due to framing/wife issues. .02.

-how's the Applause hanging? :lol:
sold. nice try. ha! :lol: A better question would have been, "How's my Rise Above Fist doing?". :P Of course as you know, I've been buying my art framed lately. :twisted:
Reverend ToneZone
Giant

Post by Reverend ToneZone »

4598 :wink:
Check out the collection, wants, trades, and feedback . . .
http://www.expressobeans.com/public/member.php?id=8633" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong." -George Carlin R.I.P.
cybernigel
Giant

Post by cybernigel »

Reverend ToneZone wrote:4598 :wink:
Nice Rev! That must have been an emotional rollercoaster of a lunch!
The Lincoln Squirrel has been assassinated! - Kent Brockman
catch23
Propaganda Engineer

Post by catch23 »

easycraig wrote:I'm in.... whats another $900 when you owe THOUSANDS!!!!!
LMAO, that is my favorite qoute of the day.
bucktownj
Punk

Just picked up the set.

Post by bucktownj »

I really wanted a Green Monkey Pod print, but with the prices on those getting so high on Ebay, I thought picking up this set instead was a no brainer. I really think these prints are destined to be classics.
b*u*c*t*o*w*n*j
Typhoon
Propaganda Engineer

Post by Typhoon »

4 sets, 49 Bad, 48 good left.
"If you can't laugh at yourself, Make fun of other people." Bobby Slayton

"Hey your dreams and all you work for is a joke." Baxterpoop

http://www.expressobeans.com/members/co ... hp?id=9037
Reverend ToneZone
Giant

cybernigel wrote:
Reverend ToneZone wrote:4598 :wink:
Nice Rev! That must have been an emotional rollercoaster of a lunch!
You bet your buttocks it was! A ride so crazy that I put my Hendrix and MLK up for sale! In the end I think I'll be a lot happier though! :D
http://www.expressobeans.com/public/member.php?id=8633" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong." -George Carlin R.I.P.
Reverend ToneZone
Giant

catch23 wrote:
That's the quote that basically pushed me all the way! Thanks Craig!

admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

Typhoon wrote:4 sets, 49 Bad, 48 good left.
That tells me more matching sets will become "available" soon. They probably entered in a "saftey number" of matching sets, because I don't imagine live inventory would be smart enough to figure it out in it's own little computer head.

(Say, enter 40 matching sets and 59 individuals of each version as your "inventory" to begin with and the re-adjust as one (or the other) sells out.)
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

Reverend ToneZone wrote:
catch23 wrote:
That's the quote that basically pushed me all the way! Thanks Craig!

-yeah... 20 days from now when your credit card hits make sure you feel the same way!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
easycraig
Giant

Re: Just picked up the set.

Post by easycraig »

bucktownj wrote:I really wanted a Green Monkey Pod print, but with the prices on those getting so high on Ebay, I thought picking up this set instead was a no brainer. I really think these prints are destined to be classics.
- bucktown brings up a very good point... - I often 'try' to think this way... from both perspectives... as a collector, and an investor.... lets face it... many, if not most of Sheps work during the past 5 years... (talking 2000-2005) is up around the $300-800 mark... some more, some less... but over all I would say 500 on the average... (sorry, I am not going to crunch the numbers... ) anyways... if you are purist... and only collect the 18x24's so be it... nothing wrong with that..... on the flip side... as an investor... what will be worth more in the long run? (there is no true answer to this question... only time will tell.... ) -an image from 2002 and there are 200-300 of them made... or an image from 2007, with only 89 made? I don't know the answer... - I can only answer for myself....-which is why I buy what I like... and lately, I have been buying the lower numbered/newer/fine art stuff versus a nice harder to find earlier image... -as I said... there is no right or wrong answer.... it really should come down to what you like... - I have spent plenty on older prints.... but I find myself slowly shifting toward the newer limited prints.... -because the quality on the newer large format stuff is crazy... -yet... the simplicity of the older stuff is just as beautiful on its own... - as bucktown said... $500 for a print thats 3-4 years old... or one of the new fine art prints at the same price? ONLY "YOU" can answer that! Peace to all..... easycraig rbonr
bucktownj
Punk

Post by bucktownj »

I agree with easycraig. I have a pretty diverse collection, and I always buy what I like, but when you are shelling out anything close to a grand, you should think about what you are getting for your hard earned money. My decision to buy these prints were based on the fact that first, they are so cool, and also I believe that this is a stage in Shepard's career that will be remembered as a time he took his art to another level. These prints are in my opinion some of his finest work, and these prints will be very valuable in the near and long term future.
b*u*c*t*o*w*n*j
smartussi
Giant

Post by smartussi »

If Shepard keeps up his pace of production, Ten years from now, it will make little difference IMO if a print is dated 2000 or 2007....the desirable prints from the 90's will always bring in the bigger cash, because who knows how many are really out there at this point...but IMO these prints are a solid medium-long term investment if you are in it for investment potential.

If he decides to retire early...or the street art scene fades away it may be a different story...

Personnally I grabed these to enjoy as I think they are the nicest designs Shep has come up with in years...definatly in my top ten.
ideabolo
Giant

Post by ideabolo »

totaly agree with easycraig!

compare sheps large format prints to the last releases of "blek le rat" or "dface". their prints sell out a lot faster although the edition run & price is higher. i would say shep has a much bigger fanbase & time will show that his "fine art" pieces are way underestimated.

maybe most people think their quality is the same like the small ones?
im collecting sheps prints for a long time now, but after seeing my 1st big pieces (rise above series) in person i was really impressed.
imo their quality is one of the best out there!
please check: TOYKIO & my instagram is: toykio
BRG
Punk

Post by BRG »

Only 2 sets left. Better make up your mind.
admonkey
King of the Jungle

Post by admonkey »

BRG wrote:Only 2 sets left. Better make up your mind.
Could be wrong, but I'm not sure I'd panic just yet...

admonkey wrote:
Typhoon wrote:4 sets, 49 Bad, 48 good left.
That tells me more matching sets will become "available" soon. They probably entered in a "saftey number" of matching sets, because I don't imagine live inventory would be smart enough to figure it out in it's own little computer head.

(Say, enter 40 matching sets and 59 individuals of each version as your "inventory" to begin with and the re-adjust as one (or the other) sells out.)
"I'm a drinker with a writing problem." -- Brendan Behan

The Mad Monkey Campaign.
humdingertv
Punk

Post by humdingertv »

I'm still itching to buy a set.
I think they are a culmination of so many themes.
I'm going to lunch with The Wife.
I think I'll make my pitch then.
DZEL
Giant

Post by DZEL »

[/quote]
that seems to be my motto these days. :cry:
messboogs
Propaganda Engineer

Post by messboogs »

humdingertv wrote:I'm still itching to buy a set.
wait until after all the silverware is cleared from the table and her drink is empty. seriously. No threat of fork stabbing or water tossing then.
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

messboogs wrote:
humdingertv wrote:I'm still itching to buy a set.
wait until after all the silverware is cleared from the table and her drink is empty.
Probably several drinks. :wink:
easycraig
Giant

Post by easycraig »

-I would also pitch the "if I buy it now, I save 100 bucks" -that type of nonsense seems to register with my wife.