Anthony Lister

Other Artists? We got 'em right here.
gpt104
Giant

Post by gpt104 »

Caught and released for fun... Bit expensive for me
Collection & Wants: http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=3093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
easycraig
Giant

Re: Anthony Lister

Post by easycraig »

yup...
time for a chill pill folks... keep this thread where it belongs.... all things Anthony Lister...

-bloodshed9 .... check out the Savage Posse thread... all board members are welcome to post their work there.

peace... ec
A New Hot Girl Joins the Giant.org every minute!
Molotov Man
Black Book Gallery

Post by Molotov Man »

Nice print and I like the hand finishing, but right now I just think $600 is too much.

Put in cart and released for fun:)

Peace

MM
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Re:

Post by conartstudio »

Molotov Man wrote:Nice print and I like the hand finishing, but right now I just think $600 is too much.

Peace

MM
hey MM,
i have a question for you as a gallery owner. considering the current market and economy, what do you think a good price point for this particular piece should have been? it looks like it everyone did the same and released it from their cart (it's still for sale). i think maybe around the $300 range would be a good price. is lister really at the point where he can demand $600 for a print? i guess eventually these will sell out and the market will have answered that question.

are artists are now using "hand finishing" to justify the high costs they are asking? - who would have thought that "hand finishing" (the artist involved in the creation and actually touching the piece) would be a bonus when buying art. the street art bubble is bursting.
submit
The Reason

Post by submit »

I realize you weren't asking me BUT

i dont think this print release is indicative of a street art bubble bursting. To me, Faile and their marketing is like the Bernie Madoff of the scene....aggresive, greedy, and unsubstantiated.
avoid disappointment and future regret
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Re:

Post by conartstudio »

submit wrote:I realize you weren't asking me BUT

i dont think this print release is indicative of a street art bubble bursting. To me, Faile and their marketing is like the Bernie Madoff of the scene....aggresive, greedy, and unsubstantiated.
i agree, i should have said the street art "market" bubble is bursting because i think street art in general is thriving.
Molotov Man
Black Book Gallery

Re: Re:

Post by Molotov Man »

I think $300 is a lot closer than $600. During the street art "hey day":), like a year or so ago, $600 would still have been a little pricey.
Lister has a good following and does some good stuff. But, for me the purpose of prints is to get them into hands of collectors who can't afford originals.
I think an edition of 125 at $250 of the same print with "hand finishing" would have been more attractive.
I think Paper Monster is looking to be the POW of the States. (more or less).
But, both businesses have to realize that buyers are being a lot more selective and you just can't put something out with a high price tag and expect it to sell just because of who you are associated with.

that an ok answer?
Peace

MM
fribhey wrote:
Molotov Man wrote:Nice print and I like the hand finishing, but right now I just think $600 is too much.

Peace

MM
hey MM,
i have a question for you as a gallery owner. considering the current market and economy, what do you think a good price point for this particular piece should have been? it looks like it everyone did the same and released it from their cart (it's still for sale). i think maybe around the $300 range would be a good price. is lister really at the point where he can demand $600 for a print? i guess eventually these will sell out and the market will have answered that question.

are artists are now using "hand finishing" to justify the high costs they are asking? - who would have thought that "hand finishing" (the artist involved in the creation and actually touching the piece) would be a bonus when buying art. the street art bubble is bursting.
mr Revs
Giant

Post by mr Revs »

This release is certainly indicative of the times we now live in. I also concur with submit, faile are some greedy mfs. But, I do love their art.
Check out my T-shirt quilts
Backpackpunk
Giant

Post by Backpackpunk »

fribhey wrote:

Peace

MM
hey MM,

I'll thrown in my.02

Seeing as Superman sold out instantly for $400.00 I would think the same price point would apply here as they are the same print run size is a little different but there is some hand finishing.

As far as people saying Faile are a bunch of greedy bastards I would like to know why.
random message board post about art wrote: This past weekend I briefly visited a room that had three faithful reproductions of Duchamp's Fountain. Not only did I notice, I used one of them. It's so interesting because the work tells the truth.
itsniceouthtere wrote:yeah because we all know how intricate and deep the meaning within street art can be. If anything, street art is the MOST LITERAL FORM OF ART! if street art has made any negative impression on society today, its that it has made every 13 yr old with $100 and an eBay account into an art know-it-all.
Jason Filipow wrote: "MBW was that last bit of dead weight that broke the rear axle of the street art bandwagon."
http://www.shuffleandcut.com
submit
The Reason

Post by submit »

i didnt say they were bastards.
Backpackpunk
Giant

Re:

Post by Backpackpunk »

submit wrote:i didnt say they were bastards.
Fair but you did say

Just wondering why you and others feel that way.
random message board post about art wrote: This past weekend I briefly visited a room that had three faithful reproductions of Duchamp's Fountain. Not only did I notice, I used one of them. It's so interesting because the work tells the truth.
itsniceouthtere wrote:yeah because we all know how intricate and deep the meaning within street art can be. If anything, street art is the MOST LITERAL FORM OF ART! if street art has made any negative impression on society today, its that it has made every 13 yr old with $100 and an eBay account into an art know-it-all.
Jason Filipow wrote: "MBW was that last bit of dead weight that broke the rear axle of the street art bandwagon."
http://www.shuffleandcut.com
submit
The Reason

Post by submit »

Just calling it the way I see it and responding to a question posed by Fribhey at the same time. I didn't say I was right and I wasn't trying to make a big deal about my opinion.
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

600 izzalottabonez. Still available, BTW. :P
submit
The Reason

Post by submit »

for me, 600 is the most I've ever paid for an obey print and though I love it and totally feel its worth it, a large part of me is ashamed to have spent that much money on it....and its like my favorite obey print.

so from my perspective this print insults my sense of all that is fair in the world.

ok, not really
neverquiet
Giant

Post by neverquiet »

I don't really think $600 is all that crazy. I like this much more than some of the $600 Obey prints cough...Peace Goddess... cough, and more than almost all the garbage in that price range that comes out of POW.

That being said though. I didn't buy it.
Men have become tools of their tools. -Thoreau
lordlupus
Punk

Post by lordlupus »

I like the print. I felt that this print is alot nicer than his previous. However for $600, I will prefer that the edition is smaller. Personally, I will pay $500+ only for prints by Faile or BAST.
sabeth
Giant

Post by sabeth »

fribhey wrote:

i agree, i should have said the street art "market" bubble is bursting because i think street art in general is thriving.
you guys need to go back to microeconomics 101 and review how supply and demand work. half a year ago people were happy to pay the prices faile and everyone else were charging; in fact, many people thought they were getting a bargain just by being able to buy any of their prints. to turn around now and accuse them of greed is ludicrous.
Instagram: @carnagenyc
Carnage NYC
conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Post by conartstudio »

sabeth wrote:
fribhey wrote:

you guys need to go back to microeconomics 101 and review how supply and demand work. half a year ago people were happy to pay the prices faile and everyone else were charging; in fact, many people thought they were getting a bargain just by being able to buy any of their prints. to turn around now and accuse them of greed is ludicrous.
you either replied to the wrong post or misread what i wrote. i agreed that the street art bubble isn't bursting, only the market....

i should have left out the "To me, Faile and their marketing is like the Bernie Madoff of the scene....aggresive, greedy, and unsubstantiated." part when i replied/quoted submit's post.
i never said anything about anyone being greedy. i may not agree with the prices but artists can sell their work for whatever they think it's worth, but only the market can really determine what it's worth. a half a year ago the market was determining that they were worth a lot, now it's determining the opposite - hence the market is bursting.
Last edited by conartstudio on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
submit
The Reason

Post by submit »

Ok, maybe I was too harsh. I take it back, Faile are a bargain.
havana
Swindler

Re:

Post by havana »

submit wrote:Ok, maybe I was too harsh. I take it back, Faile are a bargain.
;D

All the galleries in my opinion, if they wanna make green like they did like it 2007, better start dropping
the prices. There are no mugs out there anymore. The credit crunch, recession, Bernie Madoff, depression has
sobered up a lot of us....
ak47
Punk

Post by ak47 »

also, I liked his superhero stuff a LOT more. not really feeling this one at all. I think if it was one of his superhero type pieces, and hand touched, it would be gone instantly even at 600.
Reverend ToneZone
Giant

Post by Reverend ToneZone »

Say what you will about Faile but I know I'd be in the same frame of mind as them if I were in their situation . . . Why sell your work for half it's market value only so people can flip it on ebay and make the same amount of money off it that you did even though you've actually created the work?!?!? And why does this happen . . . because the flippers have a faster internet connection than the actual collectors who would have bought and framed the piece? I say sell it for what you think it's worth. If it doesn't sell out it 10 seconds, who cares? People will pay the asking price if they feel that the art is worth it. I can't speak for Lister, but Faile named their prices the last 2 print releases and every last piece sold . . . More power to them . . . They haven't Faile-d yet . . .
Check out the collection, wants, trades, and feedback . . .
http://www.expressobeans.com/public/member.php?id=8633" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong." -George Carlin R.I.P.
xpc
Swindler

Post by xpc »

Prices jumped too fast too soon, it was a false economy that drove the secondary market i.e. people buying to sell, prints weren't in the hands of those who really wanted them. I have sooooo much respect for Banksy, if he followed suit I wouldn't have his prints on my walls as I do now. I just couldn't afford it. I didn't even bother trying for Failes on their last release as their prices were just too much.
password
Giant

Post by password »

Looks like Anthony Lister will be showing at Brooklynite in May!

conartstudio
Sergeant Politeness

Re:

Post by conartstudio »

password wrote:Looks like Anthony Lister will be showing at Brooklynite in May!

AWESOME

thanks for the info