Obey Print Releases

Everyday discussion about all Obey Giant things.

How would you like to see Obey release prints?

Tell us the day and the time
17%
Tell us the day but not the time
40%
Tell us the week
16%
Tell us the month
1%
Don't tell us anything
27%

Total votes: 103

neverquiet
Giant

Obey Print Releases

Post by neverquiet »

After today's craziness I was wondering what everyone thought
Men have become tools of their tools. -Thoreau
C.Morrison
Propaganda Engineer

Re: Obey Print Releases

Post by C.Morrison »

I think it should just go back to the old days when they just put the prints on the site randomly.
Gigantico
Carbon-Based Wastage

Post by Gigantico »

I don't think anything should change. Trying for these things is a rush!
jwoods103
Giant

Post by jwoods103 »

I like knowing the day, it allows me to get my work done accordingly, but dropping around noon does kinda suck
Check out what i have for sale or trade and my wants:

http://forum.thegiant.org/collection/others.php?u=2222" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thentherewasone
Giant

Post by thentherewasone »

I think knowing the day is helpful, though I keep on forgetting and missing out on them
SYPRUX
Posse

Post by SYPRUX »

jwoods103 wrote:but dropping around noon does kinda suck
.......But lets the european able to grab a print without waking up in the night to F5 FIGHTING.
Just the day for me.
Dizzyegg05
Giant

Post by Dizzyegg05 »

Purple monkey Dishwasher

destroyeric
Giant

Post by destroyeric »

I don't care about day, the drop time is what gets me. I'm cool with the 3pm EST drops, but anything that drops after 5pm EST is a commute home from work/dinner time on the East Coast.
trkr2007 wrote:so will someone let us know if this print is going to drop i need to get a haircut.....
Solar
Giant

Post by Solar »

Knowing the day is pretty necessary for me. I can't spend my entire life F5ing the OG site, but I can spend 3 hours doing so on a specific day.
Bobak
Propaganda Engineer

Re:

Post by Bobak »

Solar wrote:Knowing the day is pretty necessary for me. I can't spend my entire life F5ing the OG site, but I can spend 3 hours doing so on a specific day.
w3rd, for all the gainfully employed.
C.Morrison
Propaganda Engineer

Post by C.Morrison »

It should be random. That is the only way everyone gets a fair opportunity regardless of job, life, family, drinking or drug abuse problems, or any other excuse people come up with as to why they need the print to drop at a specific day and time. Buying art needs to be a decision about the piece, not a contest of who has the fastest F5 finger. You should be able to go to the site, take a minute or 2 to think about the piece and decide about buying, not buying just because you had a faster connection than someone and happened to get it. I have stopped buying art from Obey (with the exception of the random re-release of the lotus ornaments) because the fiasco that is created with the horrible server/check out issues takes the fun out of it for me.

Maybe they should show preview images sometimes of what might drop soon, but I am down with just putting prints up of whatever, whenever.
vanilla_gorilla
Propaganda Engineer

Post by vanilla_gorilla »

I would like to know the day of the drop. That way I know I have a remote chance of getting one that day if I sit by my computer all day.
jbudich
Posse

Post by jbudich »

dropping at a predictable time has cost me 2 prints. I fight to get the prints page to load for an hour. I fight to get the Buy Now button to work. I get something in my cart and fight to get the Checkout button to work. I get through Step 1 of the Obey process only to be sent back to Obey which, of course, is broken. I fight to get the next page to load only to find that in the 2 hours I've spent reloading the page, my item is no longer in my cart. Getting prints lately has been such an impossibility I'm starting to think it's not even worth the time to try to buy the prints directly from Obey. I'd almost rather save myself the time and heartache and just pay some lucky-flipping-bastard on the Bay!

ugh is all I have to say about yesterday's debacle! :(
http://www.joshuabudich.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.joshuabudich.com/store" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.joshuabudich.com/SWCollection" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
subterranean
Punk

Post by subterranean »

I think knowing the day and time is the most helpful, but that's just a waste until something is done about the site itself. It appears the server is just not strong enough to handle the kind of traffic it's getting during those peak hours, I'm sure the money and resources are available to fix the problem, but as long as the prints are selling out for them I guess it's not a huge priority to make it easier. I agree that it's almost not worth spending all of the time and disapointment (if you can't get the page to work) to get a print through Obey if you can easily get it afterwards, the only downfall of course is that you pay for that convenience! In the end it's just all a product of Shep's success so that of course is a great thing and we are all ridin' the wave...wonder what will be said of Shep's work in about say...forty years?
"Exterminate All Rational Thought" - W. S. Burroughs (Naked Lunch)

My Collection : http://www.expressobeans.com/members/co ... p?id=12999" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;